Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated & Underrated in Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

UCHG, you only ever hear people giving out about the place, but they do offer a high level of care to the people of Galway, and the staff there do save lives everyday, just look at that young boy who got into difficulty in Leisureland. Really, we are lucky to have it.
    Well it is officially the worst hospital in Ireland, which takes some doing I'd imagine.
    What I heard was the lifeguards at Leisureland did the real lifesaving with that 4 year old, though I could be wrong on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Well it is officially the worst hospital in Ireland, which takes some doing I'd imagine.

Well at least its a centre of excellence I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I thought Mayo General was the worst?

UHG is pretty f'in awful in fairness. Come get some doctors and nurses...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The forever rainbow that transpires where the Slaughterhouse river empties into the Corrib. Only noticed it the other day for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Galway race week is way overrated. For all the hype the standard of racing is fairly poor. It's a pain getting in and out of the track. The food available up there is awful. The town is a mess for the week and everywhere is wedged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Galway race week is way overrated. For all the hype the standard of racing is fairly poor. It's a pain getting in and out of the track. The food available up there is awful. The town is a mess for the week and everywhere is wedged.
    I dont think anyone with a basic knowledge of racing would ever say the standard is anything bar poor, but its the size and scope of the festival that is so important to racing here. Buses up and down are grand, if you go on time and leave before the surge it can done in 15/20 mins. Stay outta town if you dont like the resulting nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

But it's great craic all the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Get the bus as far as mervue and cut in (on foot) through the indusutrail estate around the back of APC & HP. Will save you a lot of time. As for the rest, you get the same crap all over thr country for big festivals - nothing unique to Galway about it.

I dont think anyone with a basic knowledge of racing would ever say the standard is anything bar poor, but its the size and scope of the festival that is so important to racing here. Buses up and down are grand, if you go on time and leave before the surge it can done in 15/20 mins. Stay outta town if you dont like the resulting nightlife.

The quality of the racing is very hit and miss, but it is the "summer cheltenham" as the target for all the smaller yards. Surprisingly to some, it's predominantly a flat festival, where weld likes to blood his two year olds (which is why he seems to get so many winners here, he's bringing better horses than almost everyone else) - if they're not good enough for Galway, they'll never make it in the curragh et al.

It'll tell you how serious the trainers take it when Paul Nichols decides to send horses over - he doesn't do a lot of summer racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

snubbleste wrote: »
    The forever rainbow that transpires where the Slaughterhouse river empties into the Corrib. Only noticed it the other day for the first time.

Can you elaborate on this?

It happens here to the rear of Jury's.
    DSCF1157.JPG64173460_295.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It happens here to the rear of Jury's.
    DSCF1157.JPG64173460_295.jpg

Ah yes, know it well.

When you said 'rainbow' and 'slaughterhouse' I thought you meant a mix of blood in the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I presume you mean oil on the water ? I had a look today and could not see anything out of the ordinary.

There are 2 'canals' to the right of the embankment as you walk from Bridge street towards the Salmon Weir Bridge. I thought the inner one running parallel to Bowling Green, which originates beside the car park in Newtownsmith, was the Slaughterhouse river ?

Is there a site that shows the names of all the Galway waterways somewhere ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Over-rated: The prom

Under-rated: The walk up by the canal to NUIG, even when it's really busy everywhere else it's just serene and quiet up there, plus you get to watch little families of birds grow over time. Nothing like watching a tiny array of ducklings follow a mammy duck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

OVER RATED:
    SD Galway FC. Who are they kidding?

UNDER RATED
    Garavans Bar. The choice of bar food is salted or dry roasted. A real bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Is there a site that shows the names of all the Galway waterways somewhere?

try here, it has the old names but has a nice map with the old uses of the various mills... http://www.realizedvision.com/waterways. (by the way, the engineering dept in NUIG has the map printed in their reception)

and the Civic Trust has a nice booklet on the waterways, with the new names... (at the bottom of the page)... http://www.galwaycivictrust.ie/project-activities

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

I would actually say the prom is underrated. I hadn't been back there for a while and went for a run a few sundays ago and to be honest you couldn't find a nicer place for a run or walk, looking out across the bay with the sea breeze blowing. I wish I could get back there more often to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Under-rated: The walk up by the canal to NUIG, even when it's really busy everywhere else it's just serene and quiet up there, plus you get to watch little families of birds grow over time. Nothing like watching a tiny array of ducklings follow a mammy duck.:)

I think the prom is neither over nor under rated. It's well known and deservedly so.

You are right about the canals however. We start at the University Rd park by the cathedral to let the kids get some energy out. Then walk along the canal and feed the ducks. Saunter on and stop by the lock. Turn left on Lower Dominick St to Bridge St and run your errands / market. The circle back when done to Bridge St and walk along the Corrib before finishing up at the carpark behind the Cathedral. Makes for a nice day out and tires out the kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Over-rated: NUIG
    Under-rated: Lough Atalia

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Over-rated: NUIG
    Under-rated: Clifden
    Clifden is 80km from Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Underrated:
    Woodquay
    O'Connor's in Salthill
    The Salthouse
    Creole, Rouge and Oscars
    Monroes Upstairs club
    The beach beside the longer pier.
    Circular Road, great views of the city.
    Frends on the Tuam Road
    The pizza shop beside Neachtains.
    Kumars
    Dew Drop
    Sally Longs

Overrated
    Eyre Sqaure, what a mess
    Front Door, Skeff, Oslo, Dail, Cottage, Townhouse.
    McDonaghs, Da Robertas, Tamarind, La Salsa
    The Market, Moycullens one is far better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Underrated:
    Woodquay
    O'Connor's in Salthill
    The Salthouse
    Creole, Rouge and Oscars
    Monroes Upstairs club
    The beach beside the longer pier.
    Circular Road, great views of the city.
    Frends on the Tuam Road
    The pizza shop beside Neachtains.
    Kumars
    Dew Drop
    Sally Longs

Overrated
    Eyre Sqaure, what a mess
    Front Door, Skeff, Oslo, Dail, Cottage, Townhouse.
    McDonaghs, Da Robertas, Tamarind, La Salsa
    The Market, Moycullens one is far better.
    None of those in bold are underrated by anyone in the know. And its Pizza Pasta Napoli.;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

None of those in bold are underrated by anyone in the know. And its Pizza Pasta Napoli.;)

Actually it's Pizza & Pasta Napoli :pac: the ampersand is quite subtle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

When people list "Woodquay" as underrated what exactly do they mean? I can't see how an area of the city can be underrated as a whole.

However, I am specifically aware of the beautiful park and walkway (kinda) along the riverside of Woodquay, towards the boat club, which is very peaceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

When people list "Woodquay" as underrated what exactly do they mean? I can't see how an area of the city can be underrated as a whole.

However, I am specifically aware of the beautiful park and walkway (kinda) along the riverside of Woodquay, towards the boat club, which is very peaceful.

When there are no undesirables down there.

I would second pretty much everything SeanPuddin has mentioned. Da Robertas was one of the biggest disappointments in my eating experience.

The canals all along the Cathedral are lovely and I hope they remain under rated as they're nice and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

jkforde wrote: »
    try here, it has the old names but has a nice map with the old uses of the various mills... http://www.realizedvision.com/waterways. (by the way, the engineering dept in NUIG has the map printed in their reception)

and the Civic Trust has a nice booklet on the waterways, with the new names... (at the bottom of the page)... http://www.galwaycivictrust.ie/project-activities

Link fail jkf (no offence !) it should be http://www.realizedvision.com/waterways.php for the benefits of others .....

When you call something underrated in a place like Galway, I think it needs more custom than it might otherwise have. I've seen fantastic "underrated" places go to the wall in Galway over the years.

Galway is a fickle place, getting footfall must be very difficult, never mind decent reviews, so when I get a nice meal or experience I try singing from the rooftops.

I miss Gourmet Burger, opposite Anthony Ryans, it was deadly. So was Cuba, I hate clubs but that place was just fine. The Cellars breakfast was on the ball. Bagel Factory, The Cornish pasty place maybe, the 3in1 from the Chinese at the top of Eyre Sq. I miss Salthill before fitness came into fashion.

Might make another list!

Underrated
    The Tesco Roundabout
    The Western Hotel, Fox's Bar, Oscar Wildes (best pool table in Galway)
    Eglington Snooker Club
    Cara Cabs
    Sheridan's Cheesemongers
    Inside the cathedral.
    Town Hall Theatre
    The butcher beside Snipe Ave. (Newcastle Road)
    Calbro Motors
    Rugby + Dog Nights.
    Renmore beach

Overrated
    Knocknacarra - all of it.
    Fat Freddy's, Malt House.
    Kings Head
    Galway Races

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Underrated
    The Tesco Roundabout
    The Western Hotel, Fox's Bar, Oscar Wildes (best pool table in Galway)
    Eglington Snooker Club
    Cara Cabs
    Sheridan's Cheesemongers
    Inside the cathedral.
    Town Hall Theatre
    The butcher beside Snipe Ave. (Newcastle Road)
    Calbro Motors
    Rugby + Dog Nights.
    Renmore beach

Overrated
    Knocknacarra - all of it.
    Fat Freddy's, Malt House.
    Kings Head
    Galway Races

The Tesco Roundabout is underrated? I don't know what you mean, maybe you mean it should be more infamous/famous because of it's unique silliness.

That roundabout is the most nonsensical traffic set up I've ever come across anywhere. I've driven around the roundabout at the top of the Champs Elysee for example - where you can have 6 to 8 cars in parallel making their way around - and that experience made a hell of a lot more sense than that nonsensical thing down there with the lights on the Headford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

When did Tesco start sponsoring roundabouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Under-rated
    The Prom ( it really is what makes Galway)
    Salthill to live in
    The West
    Capones, Knocknacarra
    The Sportsground
    Most of Woodquay
    Cheap dinners in the middle of the day in McSwiggans
    Chicken baguettes for €3
    Galway City Council

Over-rated
    Barna village
    City Centre to live in
    Most of Quay St