Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated & Underrated in Galway

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Paddyfield wrote: »
    When did Tesco start sponsoring roundabouts?

Tesco were there before the councils started randomly naming them in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Outside of rush hour traffic, the magic tesco roundabout is the only major junction that you can sail through. Best piece of engineering in Galway, feel sorry for the lemming pedestrians though. Sorry for derailing the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Outside of rush hour traffic, the magic tesco roundabout is the only major junction that you can sail through. Best piece of engineering in Galway, feel sorry for the lemming pedestrians though. Sorry for derailing the thread!

tongue wedged in cheek

Overrated - getting p**sed wet walking / cycling and having to spend the time "saved" dring off/showering and changing into suitable attire:mad:

Underrated - getting there dry and not sweaty in ones car :p

<sound of door slamming and running for cover>

Slightly serious point there, not a lot of employers have proper facilities to support cycling - e.g lockers for storing change of clothes, shower etc

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Underrated
    Cara Cabs

I love it. Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Overrated:

The Galway footballers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Underrated

Galway United Supporters Trust

They have kept the flag flying in a difficult time. Every week, they have been hosting events, raising money for charity, creating awareness etc. The potential is massive if they keep their noses clean are continue to be accountable and above board at all times. There seems to be a massive feeling of goodwill towards the Supporters Trust from the likes of Michael D, Connacht Rugby, and Galway City Council.

In now seems inevitable that they will be back in the League Of Ireland next season.

Bring is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Under-rated
    A late pint in the Forster Court. ;) Was the place where barstaff used to go after their shifts back in the day. Maybe it still happens?

Club sandwich in The Cellar, nom nom :)

Service in Anthony Ryans

Jogging around Ballybrit track, fantastic facility, the hill is a killer! You can't judge the steepness from TV.

Pitch n'putt course in Renmore, I'd say a lot don't know it exists

Pro-cabs off the square, always got good service

Over-rated
    McDonaghs on Quay St
    Fibber Magees
    The Huntsman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Underrated

Galway United Supporters Trust

They have kept the flag flying in a difficult time. Every week, they have been hosting events, raising money for charity, creating awareness etc. The potential is massive if they keep their noses clean are continue to be accountable and above board at all times. There seems to be a massive feeling of goodwill towards the Supporters Trust from the likes of Michael D, Connacht Rugby, and Galway City Council.

In now seems inevitable that they will be back in the League Of Ireland next season.

Bring is on.
    They must be the biggest trust with no team. Fair play to them.

mikemac1 wrote: »

Over-rated
    McDonaghs on Quay St
    Fibber Magees
    The Huntsman

Who over rates fibbers? I think most people dont even like walking past it. Awful hole of a place. Thankfully I haven't been inside it in about 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ratracer wrote: »
    They must be the biggest trust with no team. Fair play to them.

Galway United Supporters Trust FC play in the FAI Under 19 League ;)Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Overrated
    Roisin Dubh - Sweatbox with too little space and a shrunken smoking area
    McDonaghas - Used to be good, not anymore
    Supermacs - Bland
    KFC - Disappointing compared to every other KFC I've been in
    Capital Turkish Kebab (think thats the name, its the place across from Carbon) - same reasons above
    'Student life' in Galway City - I really don't see the difference between Galway's student life and that of anywhere else, too little clubs that are too samey
    Dominos - Greasy pizza with poor customer service

Underrated
    Front door - seriously nice food, quite cheap too.
    McCambridges - Upstairs has some great food, downstairs is quite reasonable
    Norios - Best fried chicken in Galway
    Kings Head - No-one I know ever goes there really, but the food really is lovely and quite reasonable.
    Pro-cabs - By far the best firm in Galway yet I know very few that use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Underrated
    Apache rolls - if they manage to follow your simple instructions and make them right they are the best rolls in Galway and only 3 bob.
    Capones - a pizza takeaway that does proper pizza
    Monroes - maybe not underrated as it's always busy but it is far and away the best pub in Galway and I don't hear enough people saying it!
    Downstairs in the Cellar - not sure if it's still on but good tunes and lights

Overrated
    Monroes' pizzas - seem to be lauded by people who just haven't had many good pizzas
    Trappers Inn breakfast - dire
    Cuba - awful layout, poor service, crap student music
    The Front Door - pretty much a nightclub with pub prices, takes about 10 min to get to the bar and you're standing around holding your drink the whole night. Barely enough room in the smoking area to light a fag. If I want a loud busy pub I'll go to the Quays and get some live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

completely over-rated

mocha beans (14 Euro for 2 coffee, bagel and h+c croissant is a rip-off)

Under-rated
    Monroes Breakfasts - fill you for the day for approx 7 euro AND it comes with hot drink and juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

UCHG/Clinic/SOC overated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Shakti wrote: »
    UCHG/Clinic/SOC overated

SOC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

churchview wrote: »
    SOC?

standard of care

Advertisement