Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High % of Failed businesses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Nosh n Coffee in the Meridian Centre closed up yesterday too....That's one less coffee shop in the village now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

JoeTurner wrote: »
    Nosh n Coffee in the Meridian Centre closed up yesterday too....That's one less coffee shop in the village now.

No way!! Seriously??? Hubby will be devastated and I'll miss the flat whites :( :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

NarkyBoots wrote: »
    No way!! Seriously??? Hubby will be devastated and I'll miss the flat whites :( :eek:

Yeah - some issue with the lease apparently. Will be sad to see them gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Nooo not Nosh!! Permenantly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Oh no, people will have to make a coffee at home now!! and who will see them walking around with a coffee cup in hand looking all trendy..?

Meridian is a bit off the beaten tracken for most unless you park in there and I am not sure the Wine Shop will last in the Old Evans Building, but heres hoping.

My cousin was due to open a shop on the old Thrift shop site, but couldn't come to an agreement with the landlord, i.e. he wouldnt shift to a reasonable price.

Rent is the main enemy of enterprise in Greystones and elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Nosh always seemed busy enough, and was popular with yummy-mummy types as you could get in with a pushchair, unlike Insomnia, Homan's etc which are a bit tight...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I'm not one to go to the coffee shops but I am sorry to hear of any business closing.

When will the bloody rents be addressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

When will the bloody rents be addressed?

It's nothing to do with when the rents will be addressed.

It's to do with the business people accepting to pay the rents in the first place which is the No. 1 mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with when the rents will be addressed.

It's to do with the business people accepting to pay the rents in the first place which is the No. 1 mistake.
    well no because it's a case where there are upward only rent reviews and some landlords are demanding excessive increases

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    well no because it's a case where there are upward only rent reviews and some landlords are demanding excessive increases

Not in todays market they're not,
    it's up to the business owners to have strong contracts in place, and have lenghty periods where rent cannot be reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Not in todays market they're not,
    it's up to the business owners to have strong contracts in place, and have lenghty periods where rent cannot be reviewed.
    yes that's today - but existing leases were signed in very different circumstances

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Justthefacts

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I'd like to see that be a pub.
    cause pubs are really profitable and Greystones has how many?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

cause pubs are really profitable and Greystones has how many?

You registered just to post that.... in a 9 month old thread :/

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

In terms of businesses in Greystones Main street - It seems that it's only the established premises that are surviving. ie restaurants and boutiques.. I cannot understand how so many of those boutiques have not gone bust - They only target a very small % of people in greystones - whereby the businesses that target everyone are going under.

NAMA must be an influence in property prices in greystones… The old Jackie Skelly's Gym for example… The annual rent on that buliding was 250k a year - The premises was owned by a very famous property developer and when rents were discussed, he wouldn’t budge. Why? Because it made no odds to him - If he kept the 250k a year rent - great, if not - Off to NAMA with it - No skin off his nose. Now the gym is sitting there rotting and it's in NAMA - It’s a purpose built facility that no other business could operate in! It’s a disgrace! I would bet my bottom dollar that the greystones Inn is in a similar situation.

I think also that the properties on the main street are too small for anything other than independent businesses - UK high street chains woud do well in greystones but they require a certain square footage in order to operate and with cash injections for startup from UK HQ, they would stay afloat - Next, Zara, H & M etc.

Meridian was a disaster - When the planning permission was approved, it was approved only with the presence of a flagship store i.e a supermarket giant - Dunnes had initially agreed to open a homewares & cloting store and so building was started - towards the end they pulled out and no other flagship would agree to set up - Hence Heatons is now there and you can be sure they got knock down rents to open too! As a result, the foot-fall in the Meridian centre (even at weekends) is far too low to attract any decent businesses in.

It's a shame really - Greystones is a great town but no variety oh and don't get me started on 3 sets of traffic lights spread over 200 metres!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

oh and don't get me started on 3 sets of traffic lights spread over 200 metres!!:mad:

You're quite a bit off with your 200 m figure. It's almost 500 m.

As it happens, I think all 3 pedestrian lights are very well placed.
    1) Crossing the road by the beach is dangerous because of the right-hand bend just to the S of it. Before those lights were in place, we had on a number of occasions to scurry across as cars came whipping down that road.
    2) Outside the DART station is an absolute must for a pedestrian light. So many people pour out of there when the DART arrives that the light not only controls the traffic but also controls the people.
    3) The light outside SuperValu is also absolutely required. People come into Greystones too fast, despite the bump, and it is hard to cross otherwise there.

Sorry that these lights might slow you down, but it is a village street that is really too narrow for the traffic these days and pedestrians should always have priority over car drivers - not only for ecological reasons but for simple safety ones. A person coming up against a 1 ton killing machine usually looses out.

There is some talk of closing it off and making it pedestrian only. Would be great to try it out on Summer Saturdays as a trial. Make Greystones attractive during the Summers to get Dubliners out for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

I may be wrong but I'm sure Heatons wanted to sell clothing when they opened but were restriced to what they could/could not sell. Also, I think they were given extremely generous revised terms to prevent them moving up to the Lidl development. If they moved out of the Meridian, it would be a disaster for the other shops unless they got another major flagship store in there quickly.

Advertisement