Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're gettong old when....

Options
  • 23-09-2010 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Was out observing Jupiter with my 11 year old last night.

While seeing seemed less than perfect we could still see the GRS :)
    Albeit at faily low magnifications.

Anyway...back on topic....

The 11 year old kept complaining that 'the whistling high pitched noise' was annoying her.

My first toughts: RA Motor on Scope or my newly installed cooling fan....

No...not those....then:

'Daddy....can't you hear that now? It's getting louder'.

I couldn't but when I looked up towards Jupiter again....BATS!

I'm getting old...and so are my ears.....

I'd love 11 year old eyes too...think of how much more I could see through the 'scope!

Peter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Ahh..the joys of maturity. I find myself starting to use the old, "When I was your age......." more and more lately. I give myself a mental "facepalm" and change the subject...Oh! the embarrassment. The 1970's were only a few years ago, Weren't they??:eek:

The Moon and Jupiter were looking particularly classy last night. :)
    Was up early to try and spot Mercury in the East this morning (too cloudy that way unfortunately), and Jup and Moon made a very impressive sight low in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Had to drive the brother into St. Vincents for an operation and mother for a blood test. Had never been in the new building before. Pretty snazzy, lots of gorgeous nurses and administrators etc walking around. :D Then I saw some Junior Doctors walking towards me. OMG!! They looked like Leaving Certs playing Doctor. The imortal words came out. "You know you're getting old when...." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm rolling on 28 and I'm still pitch-sensitive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

dlofnep wrote: »

Bragger. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I might max out at 14000 khz which matches with my age but I look a good 10 years younger than my 36. Gimme youthful goodlooks over tinitus outside shops with the dog whistle device anyday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

dlofnep wrote: »

I'm ten years older than you and still hear bats :)
    When I was living in the flats here in Ballymun on the top floor, the bats at night flying around while I was out on the balcony with the telescope, would hurt my ears it was that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I find it hard to focus my binos accurately. I'm blaming the optics.:D
    I can still hear the bats though, at 35.....all is not lost i suppose!
    My five year old almost falls to the ground when he hears those anti teenager loitering thingys. I can hear them too but not so much that i writhe in agony!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

A few years ago I was put on medication that affected my hearing - killing off sensitivity to narrow frequency ranges of sound as well as leaving me with tinnitus. I can still mostly hear the flyback transformers of CRT tvs at 15.625 kHz, but I cannot hear the bats anymore. As for hearing conversation against e.g. background noise of a pub or an airport, that's more difficult than it used to be!

thinking about noise and stargazing, reminds me of lookung up when I was a teenager in Tipperary. Being out in the countryside under a clear night sky past midnight has to be one of the most peaceful times of the day. I've had ethereal nights where the advection fog started to blanket the fields between the hedges. I could hear the train a good 8 miles away clearly and hear exactly where it was by the changes in tone as it passed the different crossings and track types. The local road traffic died off after about half twelve as the pubs quietened down, and there were much less overflying planes. All fantastic until the cat decides that it wants a bit of warmth and jumps up and climbs to the shoulders as I was looking at faint galaxies through the scope at the time! I learned to bring the cat with me early on and not get surprised like that again. Having a sleeping cat wrapped around your neck beats a scarf any night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

You know you're gettong old when........

I better not say ;) be giving away my age haha

Great thread peterako , TNX

Stargate

Advertisement