Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

freecom power supply unit

• 23-09-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi the power supply died on my freecom network mediaplayer 3.5.
    i called the manufacturer but they do not make this kind of PSU anymore.
    i have been searching the net with no joy at all.
    i have an image of the unit below and its the connection to the freecom box that is the problem. maplin or any of those stores could not help.
    if anyone could point me in the direction of an online power supply seller that would be great.

Switching-Power-Supply-Desktop-Adaptor-Adapter-GFP252-0512-.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I might have a lead like that at home somewhere from a broken external hardrive. What's the input voltage for the mediaplayer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I have one too. Does your unit have a pin-out diagram and current rating ? I'm assuming its 12v + 5v. I'm in Galway too. Alternatively one of these may suit:
    this
    this
    this

If you're not getting the original item you would want to be sure the voltages/currents/pins are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

really appreciate the responses folks, thanks very much.
    there is a pin diagram on the unit.
    +12V +5V
    GND GND
    GND

here is the info
    MODEL : GFP252-0512
    INPUT : AC100-240V , 50/60HZ , 0.7A
    OUTPUT : DC5V, 1.5A / 12V , 1.5A
    I.T.E POWER SUPPLY

hi Moredith,
    If you come across one of these at home i will buy it off you if you have no use for it. if you get a chance to have a look and get back to me that would be great.

thanks for the reply bonzodog2, your right about the pins as the ones on ebay look correct but they have 6 pins, whereas the one i am looking for only has 4.

No bother. I'll have a look this evening. Prob won't reply till tomorrow though as I'm off to a wedding reception later :D.
    If I have one that suits you can have it for nothing.

• Advertisement

I looked out the one I have, it has 6 pins, 12v2a, 5v2a, so thats prob no good to you. I think 1 of the ebay links I posted before is 4 pins. Are you sure its the plug thats faulty ? Does a light come on on the unit, but the disk doesnt power up ? Do any lights come on the player ?

Another option you might consider is getting a new enclosure altogether. They do fail, mostly leaving the disk inside OK. Dropping them/falling off a table is usually bad news though !

mordeith
    you're a star, there is no panic. enjoy the wedding reception.

bonzodog2,
    the green light does not go on the unit. the fuse is ok in the plug and the hard disk is ok too as i tried it in on my pc. The unit 'went' when i plugged it the storage device so i am hoping that its the power supply unit, otherwise its the enclosure. if it is then its a shame as i used it regularly.
    anyway, you guys have given me hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

If the unit offered is not suitable then
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Netzteil-GFP252-0512-12V-1-5A-4-Pin-Lacie-Freecom-/320594158841?pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Gehäuse&ha
    seems to fill the bill. You will need to negotiate the German !

Just guesssing some of the German, but the postage seems a lot on that. It'd be a shame to spend all that getting a PSU only to find it was the enclosure afterwards !

purerandom wrote: »
    really appreciate the responses folks, thanks very much.
    there is a pin diagram on the unit.
    +12V +5V
    GND GND
    GND

here is the info
    MODEL : GFP252-0512
    INPUT : AC100-240V , 50/60HZ , 0.7A
    OUTPUT : DC5V, 1.5A / 12V , 1.5A
    I.T.E POWER SUPPLY

Okay, I've got some good news and some bad news. The HD enclosure at home is a Freecom with a 4 pin input socket. Ratings are 5V and 12V both 1.5A so I reckon it'd sort you out. The bad news is I can't find it at the moment. There's a chance I have it at work so I'll have a gander tomorrow. Failing that I'll have a proper look around at home over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Really appreciate the effort you are putting in for me!thanks so much.

@ purerandom
    Sorry man, but the power lead I was on about has two pins broken :rolleyes:
    This one on ebay should suffice but the price including postage is around €30

EDIT
    I suppose including the link would help
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/IOMEGA-AC-ADAPTER-DA-30C03-4-PIN-DIN-5V-2-5A-12V-1-5A-/280440605589?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item414b900b95

Before you spend €30, I'd get the PSU checked with a multimeter, to determine if it has both voltages present, if it has the enclosure is likely faulty, so pointless getting another PSU. If you're anyway near Ballybane I can do it for you, or if you're in town maybe one of the lads from the hackerspace (091labs.com) (near the Radisson) could give it a prod with a meter for you, or maybe even have another unit that would do.

mordeith,
    not to worry, your efforts are much appreciated. It was very kind of you to offer the lead in the first place.
    thanks again.

bonzodog2
    thank you for your help too. You have a good point there, i must call into the 091labs when i get a chance and ensure the enclosure is still ok.

thank you both once again.

Advertisement