Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw body pulled out of Grand Canal Dock

Options
  • 23-09-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Just saw a body being pulled out of Grand Canal Quay. Still creeped out. I work right beside it and I thought it was just a van they were pulling out so I was recording on phone - then realised divers were in there too so I stopped....2 minutes later they were dragging a body out :eek:

Don't know how I'm going to focus in work now....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Go to your boss and ask to leave if you're seriously distressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Shít dude, seen it a fewe times on bacholers walk bodies being taking out of the liffey it's always a numbing experience.

What Kylith said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Oh, that means they must have found the guy who drove his car into the river yesterday but couldn't find the body so the Garda sub-aqua team were called in this morning according to 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Any chance it was a 97 year old woman?

Sounds pretty rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

kylith wrote: »
    Go to your boss and ask to leave if you're seriously distressed.

I'm not distressed as such. Just not an easy thing to walk away from and leave behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Any chance it was a 97 year old woman?

Why, have you lost one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

If you saw a dead body walk out of the Grand Canal Dock you should be worried, go home, lock up and load up.

Otherwise, just take a few deep, calming breaths, and think of puppies.

Just not those ones we saw a video of a while back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sorry you had to see that.
    Its one of those mental images that one wishes you'd never saw and sometimes stays with you for a long time to come.

Try to distract yourself for a while and keep your head buried if possible, in your work even more so.
    All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    I'm not distressed as such. Just not an easy thing to walk away from and leave behind.
    In that case exaggerate how distressed you are and go home anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I heard a load of sirens last night(I live not far away), was wondering what was going on. Now we know. Was the van deliberately driven in or was it accidental?

They should put barriers there. Some poor young fellow slipped into the water and drowned at night a year or so ago at that very stretch.

• Sorry about your distress, but why were you standing watching it? Why didn't you walk away when you saw the divers?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Sorry about your distress, but why were you standing watching it? Why didn't you walk away when you saw the divers?

Because I'm a sheep, and everyone else was. Seriously, I was terrified I'd miss something really important and then not be able to join in the conversation at lunch time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sorry about your distress, but why were you standing watching it? Why didn't you walk away when you saw the divers?

Curiosity most likely.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Curiosity most likely.

I know. I just don't get people who voluntarily stand and watch something gory and they say they're distressed. What else would Gardai/divers be doing in Grand Canal Dock?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

hold on a sec !!!

Why were you not doing your job ??? instead of gawking out the window

goto your boss and tell him you were watching the gardai (sub aqua unit) do their job and saw something which affected you - a dead body.... and you've never experienced it before and are having trouble concentrating on your job.

I still remember when I saw my first dead body brought out of water - the cold staring eyes just blankly looking....meh ! its some mothers son/daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Get your boss to send you home for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why doesnt he/she goto the pub for a brandy/whiskey at lunchtime.... quick shot - and then go back to work.

see how you feel after lunch maybe ? then go ask your boss if you can go home and get paid for it (cos you were getting paid for not working anyway - looking out the window - video taping the event with your mobile.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know. I just don't get people who voluntarily stand and watch something gory and they say they're distressed. What else would Gardai/divers be doing in Grand Canal Dock?

Yeah, it's not something that happens everyday. I spent 4 years in Dublin and never saw that happen.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Just saw a body being pulled out of Grand Canal Quay. Still creeped out. I work right beside it and I thought it was just a van they were pulling out so I was recording on phone - then realised divers were in there too so I stopped....2 minutes later they were dragging a body out :eek:

Don't know how I'm going to focus in work now....

This was reported before your post, just that a van went in there last night.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-search-grand-canal-dock-after-van-incident-474766.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

gurramok wrote: »
    I heard a load of sirens last night(I live not far away), was wondering what was going on. Now we know. Was the van deliberately driven in or was it accidental?

They should put barriers there. Some poor young fellow slipped into the water and drowned at night a year or so ago at that very stretch.
    There were two sets of sirens and emergency services around there, as far as I know. was on the number 3 around half six, and the gallery quay apartments had two fire trucks outside it, and then the van later that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

gurramok wrote: »

Yeah that was a friend of mine who slipped in. Shocking stuff, OP I'd just head home and try and sleep it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Unhelpful comments removed.

Guys, this isn't After Hours - have some respect please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Oh that's something I would not like to witness OP.
    If you do ask to go home though, surely the whole office will want to if they witnessed it too..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

OP how you holding up now?

Heard it on the news this morning myself, nothing about it in the media other than here and that brief article on breaking news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

OP you didn't happen to notice if there was any signwriting on the Van? Pm if you did please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This looks to me is a suicide based on the following. God knows what was going through the persons head at the time.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/horror-as-van-driver-dies-after-steering-into-dock-2349987.html

Awful thing to happen.
    herald wrote:
    A man died after driving a van at speed into Grand Canal Dock close to Dublin's Facebook headquarters last night.

The van was due to be lifted from the water with its dead driver still inside.

Shocked witnesses watched the tragedy at around 10pm.

Despite efforts by Dublin Fire Brigade to reach the driver it was impossible to save him, and his body remained in the water at the internet technologies district, in front of the new Grand Canal Theatre.

Witnesses told gardai that the man had parked his van on the wide pathway at Hanover Quay for some time before deliberately revving the engine, and driving straight into the deep canal basin.

"I arrived just after it happened and there was a girl here in hysterics, she said she had seen the guy just drive straight off the edge and that his van sank," one local resident told the Herald. Witnesses alerted the emergency services, but it was too late.

"Two fireman went into the water and reached the point where the van sank, they could actually stand up on the van and be seen above the water line," the witness said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There was an article about the dock in the Tribune just this sunday saying 5 people have died in the dock in nearly as many years. Some were accidental (someone was texting last year and fell in, they survived) and others suicide I think. From my walks along it I am surprised how people can accidentally fall in. Its a massively wide path. Theres little you can do about the above story though to prevent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Guys.

I'm locking this for the moment, and may even delete it in time.

I've been contacted in private re. this discussion and deem it appropriate at this time to lock the thread and issue notice that it may be deleted.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement