Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new bike

• 23-09-2010 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello all,

I've had a look at the boards.ie bicycle wiki and there's a wealth of information there. I'll be honest though, I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to specifications and even the type of bike that would be best suited to my needs. I hope to get my bike through the bike to work scheme. I was thinking some class of a road bike since it's the roads I'll be sticking to. My previous cycling was done on an old mountain bike but I don't feel like that was the bike most suited to the cycling I was doing. The bike will be my main transport to work but I'd also like to use it for cycling at the weekends.

Could you guys give me any tips for what I should be looking for in a new bike?

Any help is much appreciated.

Bebs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Avoid mountain bikes if you're going to be using it for commuting regularly. I used to use a Giant Rock MTB but it was a challenge, quiet a heavy bike despite an aluminum frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Decide up front whether you want to use muguards and/or a rack, as it is more hassle to fit these if these frame does not have the appropriate mounting points and tyre clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Hi Bebs - What is your budget?
    I think you do need a Road bike however if you are using it to commute, bear in mind you will need to store it somewhere safe with a good lock or two.
    Trek, Giant, Specialized etc do great level entry road bikes around 700 euro.
    If you are in Dublin, I recommend having a look at Wheelworx Bike Shop at Liffey Valley or even a more local shop like Joe Daly in Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Bebs

Cheers for the speedy replies guys. I'm looking to invest around €700 but my utmost limit would be €1000.

I suppose that having the flexibility to mount mudguards and a rack would be desirable. I'd imagine that I will be using mudguards given the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Remember pedals and shoes. Most higher end bikes don't come with pedals. Then you have shorts, jacket, pink bar tape...

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Remember pedals and shoes. Most higher end bikes don't come with pedals. Then you have shorts, jacket, pink bar tape...

:eek:

I presume I'd get shoes to match the pedals? Should I expect the accessories to run into serious money?

Bebs wrote: »
    :eek:

I presume I'd get shoes to match the pedals? Should I expect the accessories to run into serious money?

First decide the style of pedal you want. Then pick a pair of shoes which are compatible, comfortable and which you like the look of.

Road cyclists usually go for a road type pedal, Shimano SL, Look Keo are two of the most popular.

PROS: very comfortable over longer distances due to the bigger pedal, more solid feeling, IMHO.

CONS: you cannot walk around easily in the shoes. Not a problem for me cos I go for CYCLES not WALKS+CYCLES.

You can also get SPD style pedals which are primarily for MTB, but are popular with some folk who wanna go for walks while cycling. Weirdos.

Some pedals are more for touring so they incorporate a large platform with the SPD style system.

I'll be doing very little walking in my cycling shoes. Is it definitely a road bike I should be looking for? I'm afraid I broke the pedals on my last bike. They were plastic but I must've have been using them incorrectly as they were only a few weeks old. I'm 6'2, so would there be an optimum size range for me in terms of frames?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I'll be doing very little walking in my cycling shoes. Is it definitely a road bike I should be looking for? I'm afraid I broke the pedals on my last bike. They were plastic but I must've have been using them incorrectly as they were only a few weeks old. I'm 6'2, so would there be an optimum size range for me in terms of frames?

most hear like myself prefer road bikes, but it does depend on you. the only other option would be a hybrid. dont go for a mtb. frame size depends on your inside leg really, but at a rough you'd need at least a 58/60. drop into your lbs and see what is most comfortable. between 700 and 1k i recommend the boardman comp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

It depends on the type of commute you have, if its a 90 minute round trip on a motorway or a dedicated cyclelane then a roadbike would be more suitable. If its a shorter journey with potholes, footpaths etc to contend with then a hybrid fitted with slick tyres would be more suitable as expensive road bikes while faster are more susceptible to damage. Also try to get the best quality locks you can afford theres nothing more appealing to a bike thief than a shiny new bike!

• Advertisement

It depends on the type of commute you have, if its a 90 minute round trip on a motorway or a dedicated cyclelane then a roadbike would be more suitable. If its a shorter journey with potholes, footpaths etc to contend with then a hybrid fitted with slick tyres would be more suitable as expensive road bikes while faster are more susceptible to damage.

Nah, road bike all the way. No one cycles on footpads or motor ways, right?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Hello all,
    Could you guys give me any tips for what I should be looking for in a new bike?
    An very useful commuter is the On-One Pompetamine. This model is the 8-speed hubgear (low maintainance), takes mudguards and racks no problem, nice steel frame - none of that aluminum bone-jarring, tyres up to 32, and won't offend your Italian work colleagues like the Pompino does. Perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

Raam wrote: »
    Nah, road bike all the way. No one cycles on footpads or motor ways, right?
    I meant the occasional yet inevitable mounting/dismounting of footpaths for safety which were all forced to do at times i assume and the use of buslanes on some motorways which is perfectly legal for cyclist to use eg. parts of the n2. While i do appreciate the 'road bikes only' mentality that seems to pervade this forum this person is looking for impartial advice on bike choice.

I meant the occasional yet inevitable mounting/dismounting of footpaths for safety which were all forced to do at times i assume

I cannot think of a single instance when I have had to that. Even so, a road bike is well capable. They are robust machines. Unless you buy a dog of a bike.
    While i do appreciate the 'road bikes only' mentality that seems to pervade this forum this person is looking for impartial advice on bike choice.

I'm very impartial. I've used both an MTB and a road bike for years for commuting. I defo recommend a road bike.

Cheers for the input guys. Could you recommend any good bike shops that would cater to my needs? I'm living out in Ashbourne, Co. Meath along the N2 but I'm more than happy to travel within the Dublin area.

Cheers for the input guys. Could you recommend any good bike shops that would cater to my needs? I'm living out in Ashbourne, Co. Meath along the N2 but I'm more than happy to travel within the Dublin area.

Try Humphries Cycles, just down the road from you near Finglas. It's on McKee Road just off Glasnevin Avenue.

Advertisement