Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resolution Query

• 23-09-2010 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Never mind - this was what I was looking for

http://x-equals.com/blog/?p=2653

My original question related to being asked for high rez images for prints 1.5 meters or so in size I wished to know what DPI they would like.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What they are asking is that you do not resize or compress the images in any way. They want the full resolution that your camera can achieve.

PPI & DPI vary depending on the actual size of the image. The file you have with 5184 pixels will be a bit over 17 inches if printed at 300dpi. The size they will be printing is about 60 inches so it will be only about 86dpi which may look a bit rough up close but that is their concern not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

supply them tiffs at the full res of camera

then let the design guys deal with scalling at their end is the easiest option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Trev M wrote: »
    Ive been asked to supply a few of my pics at the "highest resolution possible" as a client wants to print some "1.5 meters sized posters" for a stand.

Sounds to me like they want full res 'finished' tiffs. Let the client and printer worry about up scaling them. If they havn't specifically requested for them to be optimized for a specific printer then I wouldn't bother.

Otherwise you could contact the printer and get print calibration profiles from them. They should have all the information you need for optimizing for their setup. They would be only too happy to give this info out to you, saves them from doing it themselves. ;) In saying that, it would only be useful if you have already implemented colour management within your workflow, ie from camera to application to monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Cheers guys just saw the replies...much appreciated.:D All a last minute panic as everything is in the auld job :D:D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What was the question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Good question. :confused:

robinph wrote: »
    What was the question?

A what DPI question ? I was asked to supply "high resolution images" for 1.5 meter prints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

A what DPI question ? I was asked to supply "high resolution images" for 1.5 meter prints

Dude ! Don't just edit out the original question like that. If you feel something has been answered to your satisfaction then reply in thread, or edit the OP and ADD something on the end. It's very disconcerting to encounter a seemingly pointless statement at the head of a thread and a bunch of what seem to be irrelevant replies.

I've saved uncompressed TIFFs, the files are humungus ( In case that upsets you Daire ;-P, I mean rather large) , the images look way inferior to full size JPEGs on my screen (MBP) is this because the monitor doesnt have high enough resolution to displayu the TIFF properly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've saved uncompressed TIFFs, the files are humungus ( In case that upsets you Daire ;-P, I mean rather large) , the images look way inferior to full size JPEGs on my screen (MBP) is this because the monitor doesnt have high enough resolution to displayu the TIFF properly?

Actually, it does, the word is "Humongous" :D

Dunno why the files would look in any way different. What are you using to display them ? Whatever you're loading them with and displaying them will have some internal representation that's independent of what the file type is. Are you displaying them both at the same size ? They're both the same resolution ? There isn't any extra processing on the JPGs than on the TIFs ?

• Advertisement

are they having different profiles attached?

ie the jpg might not have a profile attached and tiff may have

the jpg will look different then

Mungus !!

Mmm interesting , Im using a 15inch MBP ,was using "preview" to view the files , both same size by the way .... Ive switched to viewing the exported files in Canons Image Browser and there's no issues at all..strange ..very strange

stcstc wrote: »
    are they having different profiles attached?

ie the jpg might not have a profile attached and tiff may have

the jpg will look different then

Hi stcstc Im simply exporting out of Lightroom 3.

TIFF
    Compression ; None
    Color Space ; AdobeRGB(1998)
    Bit Depth ; 16 bits component

JPEG
    Quality 100
    Color Space AdobeRGB(1998)

Image Sizing - None on both exports

Sharpening - None on both exports

Just checked again there and preview definitely seems to be in a bit of a funk with the TIFFs

Thansk all for the feedback by the way

ahh yea that explains it

i have seen it before with preview

Advertisement