Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student exchange opportunity in France!

Options
  • 23-09-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everybody,

I'm a nursery school teacher who lives in Lyon, France (a lovely city with lots to do, gorgeous food and very close to the Alps!). My fifteen year old son would like to do a two-week cultural exchange with a boy his age in either Ireland or the UK some time during this year. He is studying English in school and is keen to improve his verbal skills as well as to spend a bit of time living in an anglophone country. If you have a son who would like to do the same in Lyon, please send a PM so that we can discuss the idea at greater length and see if we can come up with a plan!

Bonne journée,

Véronique

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This should be organised through your son's school. It would be very dangerous for someone to organise this with an unknown individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cdnmum

Hello Spurious,
    I very much appreciate your concern.
    Actually there are orgnanised exchange programmes; some are offered through the school system and some are done by privately run agencies. A few friends of mine have sent their kids on these organised exchanges. They found the application fees to be very costly and they were not happy with the lack of choice they had in regard to when and where they went to stay as well as what tourist activities they would be doing in the host country. It was suggested to me that it would be easier and cheaper to organise an informal exchange for my son - of course, we would be very careful to be absolutely sure of the situation before he went anywhere (as we would with an agency-organised one since at the end of the day we would still be dealing with people we don't know)!
    Could you perhaps recommend to me an Irish-based exchange agency that is fairly priced and reputable?
    Kind regards,
    Veronique

Advertisement