Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Direct Insurance -DD issue

Options
  • 23-09-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if there is anything I can do about the following.. apologies if it's a bit all over the place...

I have a car insurance policy with Quinn and pay by monthly DD. Due to a bit of financial difficulty (Lost my job in July, started a new one in August, now getting paid monthly) the money wasn't in the bank to meet the DD for the past 2 months, I did however phone up and pay with a laser card after the DD's were returned.

This month I thought there would be sufficient funds in my account for the Direct Debit but there wasn't.

I have phoned them up to pay and have been told that because my DD was not met in 3 consecutive months they can no longer offer me the Direct Debit facility and now want payment of the total outstanding amount for the year.

I am not in a position to pay the total amount in one go and explained this to the girl on the phone but was told there is nothing they can do.

It's not like the monthly instalments haven't been paid so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I have been a customer of theirs for the past 4 years and have never had any problems meeting the payments.

Is there anything I can do or will I have to admit defeat and get the money from somewhere?

I'm strongly considering just cancelling my policy altogether!

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Monthly payments on an insurance policy form a credit agreement (like a loan), on which you are bound by the terms of that agreement. You have missed the payment date on 3 of these, so that may well be grounds for ending the agreement, regardless of the fact you paid later.

If you're in breech of the agreement, then the agreement is null, and you can do nothing about it. Consult the terms and conditions, and see if there's anything in there to help you. Is the direct debit payment date the due date, or ahead of the due date? If it's ahead, you may still have made the payments on time. If your manual payments were late, then it's your problem. It may also be that he terms require you to pay by direct debit, regardless of date, and failed DD attempts mean you have broken the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better off in Banking Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Quinn are no different to any other insurer in this regard. I'm surprised they let it go to 3 missed payments. Basically, it is an additional (staff) cost for them to administer defaults and subsequent manual payments. It looks as if they will exercise their option to cancel the policy if you don't pay the balance in full. You won't want that to happen as you would be obliged to disclose that to any other insurer in the future when you go looking for cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

QD have a very strict three strike rule with missed DD's. Best just to beg/steal/borrow and get them paid off, bonus is you don't have to worry about it again until renewal time.

If you go into their office in Blanch it might get you more time but only a week or 2, they will still want half the balance up front and the remainder within 10-14 days or whatever. Going back to the DD plan is no longer an option for you I'm afraid.

Advertisement