Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New multiplayer tricks & tactics using selectable abilities.

• 23-09-2010 10:59am

This thread is to talk tactics and discuss things that are now possible in multiplayer/firefight/co-op as a result of being able to select special abilities, ie jetpack, sprint, etc for your spartan.

What new tricks, lockdowns, tactical approaches etc have you figured out from using the new abilities that weren't possible before in halo multiplayer games? What weapon/ability combos work well, and have you figured out a way to use a particular player ability or combination of abilities to dominate on a particular map or gametype?

One tactic that i've found works really well is for a couple of sharpshooters, one guy with a sniper and another guy with a DMR or other mid range weapon to work as a team and both choose a drop shield. On maps like pinnacle/ascension, the cage, or any of the firefight maps that have raised areas like beachhead or holdout or whatever, just get to the high ground and take it in turns popping the drop shield. One guy pops his as soon as the other guy's one disappears, giving him a chance to recharge, and both players work from the area around the bubble picking off targets and watching each other's back.

If you get the timing down and know how to work together supporting each other it's a really tough tactic to beat. Alternating dropping the shields means there's at least one bubble at all times to provide cover and a place to retreat to and regenerate your health. With that, the sniper can pick off targets all day long and engage them on his own terms without much danger, and the DMR guy can cover his back and deal with targets that are getting too close. If anything big like a hunter or badass elite comes along both players can break off and double team it, and still have the safety of the bubble to return to, and if either player can get a good area of effect weapon like the rockets or concussion rifle and keep it for when tough enemies get too close, it makes the tactic even harder to break through.

It works anywhere with a good elevated all round view like the rear platforms up the stairs on holdout, the shed rooves on overlook, the top of the bridge on beachhead, or any number of places on the multiplayer competitive maps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

That double bubble shield works really well in firefight, but it can be applied to other competitive modes as well to just annoy.

In Territories, pop down a drop shield just on the edge of a territory and have two people step into the ring, while staying inside the shield. When it goes down, pop another back up. Enemies cannot shoot you so you force them into CQB. Work together meleing and you will kill them all one by one. Same concept for all ring based games.
    In team Headhunter, you can block incoming bullets at a teammate using the shields. Allow teammate to pick up all the skulls dropped and allow him to get ten at a time.

Team slayers, one cloaking and any amount of holograms go together and you can set up some beautiful flanks in played well. The radar jamming will make things difficult for the opposition to relise the difference between real oppenents and holos.

Sprint/Roll + Shotgun/Sword is lethal.

In firefight, spawning and the claoking class, dieing, spawning as sprinter and picking up the 'nade launcher works for me. I just run back to get ammo when I run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I was lazy and put on unlimited ammo to get the chievos on firefight :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Hmmm, excellent tip for my fave weapon, thanks. As someone who uses a DMR for lots of long range kills i can see this being very useful. I'd enjoy it while it lasts though, i'd say it will make the tweaks list for a future bungie balancing update, it looks a but too good. It's an advantage i bet they didn't put in the game by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

Hmmm, excellent tip for my fave weapon, thanks. As someone who uses a DMR for lots of long range kills i can see this being very useful. I'd enjoy it while it lasts though, i'd say it will make the tweaks list for a future bungie balancing update, it looks a but too good. It's an advantage i bet they didn't put in the game by design.

It's been like this in every game with bloom, the main one being shadowrun which shares a designer with reach

• Advertisement

neilk32 wrote: »
    It's been like this in every game with bloom, the main one being shadowrun which shares a designer with reach

I had no idea, after playing all the other halo FPS games over the years. I tried it out last night, and i was amazed how accurate headshots were at a distance. I was picking off jackals from way across the map on beachhead no problem.

Definitely something thats in my bag of tricks from now on, It works well along with toggling crouch to ON in the controller settings.

Just read on another forum that you can stick your own hologram with a plasma grenade as it's running away from you.

This will make for some interesting "send a hologram into a bunch of enemies, sticky the hologram, blow everybody up" tricks online.

A holo-suicide-bomber, I love it! Time to give those little al-queda exploding grunts a taste of their own medicine. :D

Can't wait to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Didn't know you could sticky yer own holo!

Me and my house mate play on two tv's in the same room, same armour and colour scheme set up. He'll use the personal shield and I'll use holo's. I'll send my holo out he'll follow running at a guy, uses the armour lock while yer man waits to mele him, he comes out emp's his shields and i'll run up all guns blazing. Works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Just read on another forum that you can stick your own hologram with a plasma grenade as it's running away from you.

This will make for some interesting "send a hologram into a bunch of enemies, sticky the hologram, blow everybody up" tricks online.

A holo-suicide-bomber, I love it! Time to give those little al-queda exploding grunts a taste of their own medicine. :D

Can't wait to try it out.

Let me know how it turns out. I couldn't.

CORaven wrote: »
    Let me know how it turns out. I couldn't.

Nope. Doesn't work. God, I hate interweb spoofers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Crouching while shooting during big team swat gives you a real edge. Bungie are defo gna tweak it. Great tip by the way.

Just figured this out in firefight last night online. Used it to get top scorer about 3 or 4 times in a row. It seems so simple i'm surprised nobody else has thought of it.

In the "Sniperfight" game type, grab a dropshield as your loadout and make your way to behind where the dropships come in. The AI is set to make their way towards the rest of your team, so as long as you don't annoy them too much when they drop in and wait till they get out of CQB range you can pick them off all day long as they move away from you.

For the maps i was on, i sat between the rocks at the bottom of overlook, just behind where the wraiths are dropped, at the other side of the river from the rest of my team. There's plenty of cover in the rocks, and the enemies all make their way up the hill toward the base. Knock the guns off the dropships with your sniper on approach, and have something big handy when the wraiths drop in.

On waterfront the same trick works on the base of the hill where the covy snipers are. Over on the far left as you're facing them, up a hill by a tree, just before you're out of bounds there's a green flare dropped on the ground. You can pop a bubble shield there and snipe all day long. the dropship can't engage you, the enemies are all making their way away from you, so just don't engage them till they've moved away a bit. When the covy snipers show up above you to your left drop your bubble, take your time and take aim. You can take the 2 of them out with one shot from this spot by just stepping out of the bubble.

Haven't tried it on any other maps, but i can think of a few good spots where it should work. The trick is just get behind where the majority of the ships drop in and get the enemies in a crossfire between you and your team, snipe across the map, and watch the kills rack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

As a complete noobie to online multiple player I find that I am always miles behind the other players scores at the end of each game!!
    I have watched numerous videos but find I haven't improved much.
    So has anyone any beginners tips they can give?
    Should I just play firefight matches? Am I hoping too much to be able to compete in the rumble pit?

Also any tips for the games with skulls to collect? I rarely finish with any in my possession!!

As a complete noobie to online multiple player I find that I am always miles behind the other players scores at the end of each game!!
    I have watched numerous videos but find I haven't improved much.
    So has anyone any beginners tips they can give?

Try team slayer instead of rumble pit, and stick with a wingman. It's amazing how quickly going it alone in multiplayer will get you killed.

Also, learn the maps inside out, and know what weapons and types of combat scenarios work for you and stick to those areas and spawns as much as possible.

Play it smart in headhunter and drop your skulls in often. Hang around the drop area and steal kills and chuck grenades at other people as they scrap with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Thanks Deleted User
    I guess I'll have to get a headpiece to keep in touch with my wingman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

I've seen very few people who talk during Firefight games, tends to be every man for himself. If you want a game at some stage keep an eye out for me: Jayd0g84

Advertisement