Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing smell from wood?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Ok so just moved into a house but some of the wooden furniture seems to have a bit of a smell off it and i was wondering if there was any way of getting rid of this smell? Kinda like fabreeze would with material.... cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

Vinegar is supposed to be good for netralising nasty smells? could be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Robin,

Sunshine!
    If you can and the weather co-operates, take the furniture out of doors and hopefully into the sunshine.

So it raining or otherwise inclement!

Buy a pound or 1/2 kilo of freshly ground coffee and put a few tablespoon in a sock or just broadcast it around and let it sit for a few days or more. Vacuum !!!

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately i dont think sun is going to be an option!! And i hate the smell of coffee so i dont think thats going to work either but i'll give the vinegar a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

if you cant remove the smell
    try sealing in the smell with a shellac it's a waxy kind of texture but it should do the job
    the likes of B&Q should have it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

Advertisement