Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in Oz

Options
  • 23-09-2010 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Flying out to Oz on a WHV in a few months and starting to get nervous about work. I'm a cival/structural engineer, can't get work over here so hoping to pick something up over there. I have 5/6 months work experience, but I haven't been working for over a year now. There any chance of me picking up a decent job? Maybe get sponsered? Should be landing mid November hopefully. Any advice is great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

try reading this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496201

Its handy. As I assume you are looking at the WHV as a route into living here.

There are a few threads here about civil Engineering work. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MaxB

Thanks Zambia232. Going on the WHV with the intention of staying there for a year, maybe two if I got sponsered.

Read in a few threads that work experience is a big thing and could cause a problem. I'm really going for engineering experience like.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

do a bit of research in terms of where you want to move to. prospects vary from state to state.

is your experience on site or in consultancy? i came over with over a year office experience and didnt have a hope of getting an office job. if it had been site experience i would have walked in to one.

as said before, check prevous threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MaxB

Uglyjohn, was thinking of trying Perth. People on here have mentioned it. It was an office job I had, it was only a small business though and as I said not for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

Op, maybe try looking in Western Australia up in the mining country, towns like Karratha. I have some mates who are engineers (not sure what type exactly..) but are up there on good jobs and big big money. Its very remote but they fly in/out every few weeks from Perth etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Turnstyle wrote: »
    Op, maybe try looking in Western Australia up in the mining country, towns like Karratha. I have some mates who are engineers (not sure what type exactly..) but are up there on good jobs and big big money. Its very remote but they fly in/out every few weeks from Perth etc

remote isn't the word for its a ****ing dogs life no money is worth it, stuck in the middle of nowhere doing savage hours with a **** load of aussie and european hillbillys, i did it for a while and i will never do it again, what a pack of ****ing weirdos working in those mines

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i kinda like it personally. there seems to be a perception that any idiot can walk into a job up here and wind up rich in weeks and that is simply not true.

back to the OP:

that really isnt a lot of experience, i might make things difficult to get office work. if you interview well and are willing to work for cheap you might be able to get in the door somewhere but as i said it would be a lot easier if you had site experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

Hi Lads

Im in a similar position as the OP, I have 3 years expierence as a site engineer and recently completed a masters. Im booked to go out in late november, but I got a job offer in Germany yesterday, Id like to go to OZ and see it, but would I be mad to give up a job in the hope of finding one on OZ.

Any advice welcomed
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A bird in the hand ....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

West,

I think with 3 years experience you should have no problem getting a job on site here. It might take a couple of months to get one but I'd say you should be ok

• Advertisement
Advertisement