Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 15: Singapore Grand Prix

• 23-09-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Can anyone remember a better title fight than 2010? This one could, and should, go all the way to Abu Dhabi and with just five races to go Singapore will be pivotal. Most teams will bring a major upgrade to this race and this will also give us our first indication of whether Red Bull really has lost its mid season advantage following the flexi test changes.

This race might also give an oppurtunity to the likes of Rosberg and Williams to get a top five finish, both have been strong here in the past but Robert Kubica has to be the wild card factor this weekend and at 14/1 he could well be worth a punt for the race

My preview is now online, here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I preferred the end of the 2007 season tbh. ^_^

Hamilton and Webber taking each other out on the first corner and the other three having a good run would be excellent. :pac: Unfortunately I think with 2 races left we'll be down to 3 contenders and we'll be lucky to have the race go right to Abu Dhabi. Barring huge improvements (which McLaren claim they've got) I see Button and Hamilton out of the race after this weekend and Korea respectively, and one of the RBs out fairly soon as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

amacachi wrote: »
    I preferred the end of the 2007 season tbh. ^_^

Hamilton and Webber taking each other out on the first corner and the other three having a good run would be excellent. :pac: Unfortunately I think with 2 races left we'll be down to 3 contenders and we'll be lucky to have the race go right to Abu Dhabi. Barring huge improvements (which McLaren claim they've got) I see Button and Hamilton out of the race after this weekend and Korea respectively, and one of the RBs out fairly soon as well.

The McLaren may not be the strongest car but the team have done the best job of anyone this year so I wouldn't discount them just yet. It's going to be tough for Hamilton after his Monza mishap but wait and see what the upgrade does(and for Red Bull to throw away more points;)) Your'e right in saying we'll be down to three drivers in a few races, it will be too hard for Button and Vettel to close the gap without their teammates having problems, but enjoy the battle while we have five!

frostie500 wrote: »
    The McLaren may not be the strongest car but the team have done the best job of anyone this year so I wouldn't discount them just yet. It's going to be tough for Hamilton after his Monza mishap but wait and see what the upgrade does(and for Red Bull to throw away more points;)) Your'e right in saying we'll be down to three drivers in a few races, it will be too hard for Button and Vettel to close the gap without their teammates having problems, but enjoy the battle while we have five!

As I said, another Hamilton mishap, this time involving Webber would be great. :pac: Gotta say Button and Alonso at 12 and 4/1 respectively look good value. The only way I can see Alonso not winning the title is if Button drops out this weekend and Hamilton gets the team completely behind him, I can't see the RBs getting their **** together any time soon, they still haven't done so in almost two seasons. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I quite fancy Massa for this race. He was robbed in 2008 when he dragged the fuel rig down the pit-lane and had to retire.
    I know hes been beaten fairly comprehensively by Alonso so far this season, but isnt Alonso out of spare engines? I think he could come a cropper soon, maybe this weekend and be forced to take a penalty.

Dont count out Vettel either. If I was to put my last tenner on someone to win the title, Id be backing him. Hes nearly thrown it away with clumsy mistakes and yet hes still within striking distance of the leader. I think he can get his head together and get the job done.
    Webber isnt up to it - hes too hit and miss.
    Lewis can drag the McLaren back into contention I think, but will fall short in the end.
    I never figured Button as a contendor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Very good preview. I was looking at the latest weather reports from the BBC. The latest reports seem to indicate that it will be showery during the race and practice. Could be very interesting.

• Advertisement

Are there any support races that'll be broadcast this weekend? Was great a fortnight ago to find a load of stuff on Eurosport the morning of the GP but I don't think those series are on this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I know hes been beaten fairly comprehensively by Alonso so far this season, but isnt Alonso out of spare engines? I think he could come a cropper soon, maybe this weekend and be forced to take a penalty.

They're both out of new engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

When I was at Spa I had a funny feeling Hamilton was going to win the race and he did.

When I was at Monza I had a feeling that Alonso was going to win the race, even though I dislike him and hoped he wouldn't.

After the Monza race I had a feeling that Alonso won't win another race this year and definitely won't have the Number 1 on his car next year. I hope I'm right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Yamamoto has food poisoning and will be replaced by Christian Klien for the weekend at HRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yamamoto has food poisoning and will be replaced by Christian Klien for the weekend at HRT.

kick in the face for Chandrok, can't even get his old seat back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bruno looks like he's driving a trolley this morning

Webber from Schumacher this morning, though I don't think a lot can be read into that session.

Anyone else amazed at how little slower the cars are than last year? They're less than 2 seconds off where they were in FP2 last year and it's only Alguersari at the top.

Just want to point out I made my last post before the lads on the BBC were talking about it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Alonso will feel a bit silly. Pushing the car himself he must have felt a bit guilty, wanting to get the car off the track as quick as possible

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I would have punched that Marshall after he tried moving me away from the car, how about helping me push the car you idiot!

I guess they have to follow some rules or something, do race control have to clear the marshalls before its ok and go out and push the car, it all looked a bit confused

might be difficult qualifying with track still a bit wet

Massa out, possible engine problem

Red Flag to clear his car

Petrov out

Alonso questioning engine settings on his car

Very good qualifying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

not a bad quali indeed, the last session was great. hopefully the race will be similar.

Formula1.com forecast icon has thunderstorms, Google just has mostly cloudy. I thought I would love some rain in and around race time but on reflection I wouldn't, they'd probably be pussies and run the race behind the SC for a bit.

Can anyone think of a reason for Massa not pitting really, really early? Safety car late on would play into his hands massively if he does that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Id love to see Vettel win this one if he can avoid the barriers :)
    If not Vettel then Alonso.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

30% chance of precipitation forecast. Will it happen?

A downpour beforehand would do for me even. :pac: I'd just be worried they'll put the SC out for any rain at all.

A downpour beforehand would do for me even. :pac: I'd just be worried they'll put the SC out for any rain at all.

They probably will once Petrov hits the wall (again) :pac:

Still better than having Piquet in his car though.

Anybody know if it a two hour limited race do cars need to stop for tyres, I presume they would still be required to do a pit stop

• Advertisement

Anybody know if it a two hour limited race do cars need to stop for tyres, I presume they would still be required to do a pit stop

They would have to, yes.

"Fantastic boots", looks like Brundle has found his fallback career. :pac:

They would have to, yes.

Strategy should be interesting, I'd say a safety car will be a worry for most teams

could be like the European gp bit crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

For a split second i thought he said Nice Boobs!:D

Strategy should be interesting, I'd say a safety car will be a worry for most teams

could be like the European gp bit crazy

Aye, if they knew for sure the tyres could go the distance then an early pitstop is the only way to go. Unfortunately I've not heard much about the longevity of the tyres, which would lead me to assume they'll be more or less ok.

How many laps was the SC out for last year? Just trying to work out what chance there is of a 2 hour race even without a safety car.

No team orders at McLaren eh? :(

Nice clean getaway for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

pit crew fuc1ked up two different types of tyres

Ah ffs!

SC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

That was quick. SC.

Big call there by Webber!

Lot of the cars lower down the order pitting, ****s over Barrichello and the Mercs.

Lol @ RB reminding Vettel of the 10 car rule.:D

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Lol @ RB reminding Vettel of the 10 car rule.:D

Next message should be "Remember, clockwise=right, anti-clockwise=left."

Go on Webber ya good thing!

good so far, will be interesting to see how webber does

Glock doing a good job :D

Unless there's another SC soon I don't see Webber gaining anything by pitting, but he should be ok inasmuch as not losing any positions.
    Glock doing a great job of holding everyone up. :pac:

Is the email address for the F1 Forum f1@bbc.co.uk, I want to ask why the commentators aren't making a big deal about Button letting Hamilton pass him into the first corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

fair play to Webber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

with webber pushing so hard i can see him making a mistake and spinning and crashing or even there brakes giveing out

Is the email address for the F1 Forum f1@bbc.co.uk, I want to ask why the commentators aren't making a big deal about Button letting Hamilton pass him into the first corner.

Just looked like Button being a bit too careful not wanting to loose it and run into Hamilton on the outside, Hamilton was in a more control on the outside even though slightly behind

should be catching backmarkers soon

wonder will Button be able to stay out longer than Hamilton

• Advertisement
Advertisement