Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.TV Internet - Problems - Lack of Customer Service

Options
  • 23-09-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

How long should you let call centre / technicians deal with a problem / acknowledge a problem before going above their heads?

I have the contact details of some senior people in UTV.

Brief history:
    1) Reported issue with internet a couple of days ago. - packet loss, poor latency was told there wasn't an issue. I said I would wait hopefully it would fix itself.
    2) Next day same issue but was worse. I emailed tech support about it and gave a lot of supporting information. Sent several follow up emails with more information to back up my case.
    3) In the evening I try and phone UTV. I was on hold for 40 minutes before I just gave up.
    4) Was very p*ssed off at wasting my evening I sent another follow up
    5) I get an email from tech support showing me that my line stats are fine... ??!?!?! He gave me teh same info that shows up in my router stats which I had already given to the first techician... It's like he didn't read any of my emails, any of the case history and did the bare minimum to avoid engaging the problem.

I used to work in a contact centre so I am aware its difficult etc but I am really really unimpressed with the lack of cop on here. Last year I suffered the exact same issue and it lasted several months. I jumped through hoops doing all kinds of pointless steps (I'm a telecoms engineer so I know the basics). I am unwilling to waste my time again.

I have made it clear its NOT A LINE FAULT the fault occurs after my line, at the exchange or further up but it doesn't seem to sink in... At this point they still haven't accepted there is a problem.

It's really annoying me at this point, I Dont want to be unreasonable but I expect a minimum competence from technical support and for them to be empowered enough to actually resolve an issue which takes more than a reboot of the router....

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

About 5 years ago I had 4 sites hosted with UTV, 12 phone lines and 4 broadband connections.

Today I have one phone line with them and one broadband connection becausew their service has gone from being very good to being appalling.

The only reason we still have one line in one premises is because they now have a €30 disconnection fee even if you have had service for 5years!:(

If you send them letter the "never receive them", if you want to disconnect a line they send you in a merry go round. If you have an issue with speeds / or line issues, they say £its eircoms fault".

My advice is move onto another supplier - we're back with eircom for most lines and blacknight for hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I've always found UTV Internet to have excellent customer support, granted they seem to be a bit weak on the technical side and it can take them quiet a while to find an technician to deal with your problem. They helped even when Eircom managed to do something that ****ed up my connection.

Prior to that, I used to use the connection without a phone/DSL splitter which I discovered was killing the speed of my internet, however, they carried out a technical assessment and told me the problem wasn't the line. So I got a splitter and it worked perfectly. So the support is there but they seem to be weak on conceptualising the problem.

The problem about the lack of technical support is a problem with all services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Problems will happen with technology, I accept that but good customer service can help make the problem more tolerable. I mean even to this point I have no idea if they have logged a fault with Eircom or even if they have bothered reading my last email...

I'll give until the end of the day and if nothing then the big guns come out.

I find most of the time its Eircoms fault.

Eircom own the lines and are always messing about with the exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

4 days ago, I discovered a similiar problem with my internet (I was only getting about 1mb/s, 100ms~ ping, 100ms+ jitter) constantly. I emailed UTV along with a speedtest and a pingtest and some general information about the problem. The next day he told me that the line was syncing on their end as normal, so he said he ran a line test and it discovered a line fault, and he said he logged a line fault with Eircom.

Two days later Eircom call over, install a new wall socket and line and everything was grand, he didn't charge any money either.

So, from my perspective; UTV are absolutely fine, cheapest and highest capped ISP in Ireland now after Smart went bust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement