Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Back Box Access

Options
  • 23-09-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I plan to use a plastic surface mount back box as a junction box with a blank faceplate. Looking for advice on the best way to make the cable entries.
    Is there a tool for breaking off the tabs ? Anytime I use a pliers I get a very jagged edge and sometimes cracks. Even tried drilling without success. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks danjo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Why not just use a junction box, if its going to be surface mounted anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

A junior hacksaw always works for me, then break with pliers, but don't lean too hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Why not just use a junction box, if its going to be surface mounted anyway

I need seven connection points so I plan to use a terminal strip glued into the box.

ShamFeen wrote: »
    A junior hacksaw always works for me, then break with pliers, but don't lean too hard!!

Thanks ShamFeen, will give the hacksaw a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Get a PVC OBO box. About the same size as a single gang switch box

• Advertisement

Get a PVC OBO box. About the same size as a single gang switch box

Good idea, thanks fingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

danjo wrote: »
    I need seven connection points so I plan to use a terminal strip glued into the box.

Maybe a din rail box would be good for that, Nothing worse than trying to make a load of connections with no room.
    And pg glands in for the cables. All depends how many cables etc.

Thanks Robbie. I got an OBO box today. I will make off the connections before securing the terminal strip.
    The DIN rail is a great but I don't want to wait. I will go ahead and see how the OBO box works.
    Thanks danjo

Advertisement