Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

autumn equinox

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

fifilarue wrote: »
    I thought this was really interesting-especially the bit about it marking the beginning of six months of darkness in the arctic circle.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/09/100922-autumnal-equinox-first-day-of-fall-2010-harvest-moon-nation-science/

And of course six months of brightness in the Antarctic:)
    Interesting read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

I'd prefer the brightness myself Beeker.:D

I should have added that the equinox was marked by our ancestors in stunning ways aswell. Though people are more familiar with the solstice and Newgrange, a less well-known phenomenon is associated with Cairn T, part of the Loughcrew complex in Co. Meath. The backstone of the chamber is illuminated by a beam of light at sunrise on the Spring and Autumnal Equinoxes. I haven't managed to catch it myself yet but hope to do so one of these years :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

fifilarue wrote: »
    I'd prefer the brightness myself Beeker.:D

I should have added that the equinox was marked by our ancestors in stunning ways aswell. Though people are more familiar with the solstice and Newgrange, a less well-known phenomenon is associated with Cairn T, part of the Loughcrew complex in Co. Meath. The backstone of the chamber is illuminated by a beam of light at sunrise on the Spring and Autumnal Equinoxes. I haven't managed to catch it myself yet but hope to do so one of these years :D
    Cool! never heard about that before, thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

Interesting the astrologists must be going into overdrive.

• Advertisement

mrbig wrote: »
    Interesting the astrologists must be going into overdrive.
    Pity some of them would'nt overdrive away from the rest of sane humanity:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Nice to see YOU posting fifilarue ;)

Stargate

Advertisement