Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been unemployed?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

I have been unemployed for a year now. I send out CV's every day. Will it look really bad to prospective employers that I have been out of work for a year or are there lots of other people in the same boat as me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Plenty of us in the same boat! I was made redundant in May 2008. My friend lost his job in March this year, and he is still out of work also.

You can faff your CV a little to make it look like you are not out of work so long.. and there are excuses you can make "traveling" etc. But those are answers only useful in an interview. I sometimes wonder if an employer can still sniff the years of unemployment on my CV and that's why I don't get called for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I've been unemployed since Nov 2008 (although I did get a pt temp contract at a hospital for 6 mths).

Apart from the job hunting / applying I have a 2.5 yr old to help keep me busy. Although it is hard as my hubby is unemployed too.

If I hear that I am second or third choice in an interview again I think I will sceam!

Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

except for the odd 2-3 days here and there

August 2007 until May 2008 unemployed
    then September 2008 til now
    i cant ever see myself getting a job in my preferred profession EVER AGAIN (construction)
    so next chance i get i'm going back to college and get the nazi fúckers in the social welfare to pay for it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Unemployed since finishing college in June. So thats almost 4 months. If I find nothing within the next 2 months I'm heading for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

except for the odd 2-3 days here and there

August 2007 until May 2008 unemployed
    then September 2008 til now
    i cant ever see myself getting a job in my preferred profession EVER AGAIN (construction)
    so next chance i get i'm going back to college and get the nazi fúckers in the social welfare to pay for it :D

you should have applied for the lma courses. there maybe some open if you are interested in going back to college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

Jan 2008 in this country .. Was working in the UK and will be doing a bit in Spain for a while .. Get the odd nixer here and there .. Overall applied for 100s of jobs 3 Interviews mostly just a waste of time

Martron wrote: »
    you should have applied for the lma courses. there maybe some open if you are interested in going back to college

http://www.institute-for-mindfulness.eu/teacher_training_ie.html

¿¿¿¿¿?????¿¿¿¿¿?????

or these

http://imalc.mycrowdwisdom.com/diweb/catalog/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

lma in lowercase = LMA in upper case

courses like these

http://www.bluebrick.ie/lma/

oh it's an L

:D

thanks

just had a look at it there's some pretty good courses there
    missed deadlines tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Denerick wrote: »
    Unemployed since finishing college in June. So thats almost 4 months. If I find nothing within the next 2 months I'm heading for London.

this is me too, although ive got an interview on friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Does unemployed mean being on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

old_aussie wrote: »

Yes, "the dole' is what we call social welfare here.

or "the rock and roll' in rhyming slang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Almost 3 months.

Short compared to many. But no less soul-destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

old_aussie wrote: »
    No, unemployed just means not having a job. Not everyone who is unemployed is entitled to social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Around 4 and half weeks but I'm off to Canada in under a months time to start a new job. (Waiting on my damn visa)

Another joining the ranks of the emigration ship. (I was in the middle east for nearly 8 months to the end of August)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Lost my job in March 09. spend 12 months doing FAS courses, 4 in total. A sh1t load of use they were. Then started a business in March 10, but not making a living out of that and not prepared to get myself into debt in order to make money.

Depressed and dsperate to leave the country. It will always be home, but right now, I f***ing hate the place and cant wait to leave. Going to the USIT work abroad expo this weekend in 'the Dublin'

Lucky you. I can't leave as I have a kid in school and a partner with a good job and a house here. Otherwise I'd be out of here like a shot! Being unemployed is not good for your self-esteem, and of course your wallet :(

I have an interview for saturday with a supermarket. At least it will give me something to do if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I have an interview for saturday with a supermarket. At least it will give me something to do if I get it.

And a few bob. Supermarkets can be good craic too. Good luck!

I worked in a supermarket before and enjoyed it. But that was when I was working part time in college... don't get me wrong, I'll be relieved to find any work... but I didn't do 4 years in UNI to work for minimum wage :(

Anyways, excuse me while I sit here and feel sorry for myself ;)

• Advertisement

I worked in a supermarket before and enjoyed it. But that was when I was working part time in college... don't get me wrong, I'll be relieved to find any work... but I didn't do 4 years in UNI to work for minimum wage :(

Anyways, excuse me while I sit here and feel sorry for myself ;)

Aw, I hear you. However, it will probably look good on your CV that you bothered your ass to do SOMETHING! Fair play to you :)

Aw, I hear you.

Ditto. I can empathise. I remember taking all the retail/office admin jobs off my CV thinking "I won't be needing you again" .. They've been re-added, with the more highfalutin' stuff apparently worthless. I'm familiar with your posts in the forum and am certain there isn't a fella in the country more eager to work. That will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i was made redundant nearly two years ago and since then i have done temping/agency work,it's not ideal not known when/where your going be working but hey the $$$ is not bad. I can get full time work but the employers are absolute scumbags to work for the stories that could be told of them if only NERA would do some thing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Finished my masters 6 weeks ago, starting a job on Monday.

What field (is the job in) if you don't mind me asking? Did the masters help you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Currently unemployed for four months since finishing college in May after completing a Higher Diploma. Considering doing a professional IT course, maybe a Masters too. I've been job hunting for as long as I can remember for the past two years since I finished my degree, had been unemployed for six months until I got a temporary contract work but was let go, did voluntary work last summer, still found it difficult to find work so decided to go back to college. I am seriously considering going abroad to the UK to find work, if I end up being stuck at home for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What field (is the job in) if you don't mind me asking? Did the masters help you get it?

I'll be working as a software QA engineer. Both my MSc and BSc are in computer science - so they definitely helped.

I'll be working as a software QA engineer. Both my MSc and BSc are in computer science - so they definitely helped.

Congrats and well done :)

Damn smart computer peoples :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I'll be unemployed in 5 weeks as I am leaving my job to go travelling. For the third time (first time was only 3 months, second time only one month, this time should be a year). Can't wait!

To answer your question - yes, it looks terrible to be out of a job that long - or at least to be doing nothing. If you can rhyme off a few constructive things you did while unemployed you have nothing to worry about.

For me, employers tend to linger on a few months here and there when i did nothing. Many employers are fond of jotting down a timeline DURING the interview to identify work/study gaps. I'm going to have to smudge the dates on my cv or invent worthwhile things to avoid throwing interviews in future.

• Advertisement

Got that job in the end :)

How many ways can you say 'STOPGAP'...

Advertisement