Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with MRSA

Options
  • 23-09-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I have a close relative who has an active post-op MRSA infection for the past year. Is now being treated at home - wounds dressed every other day & course after course of antibiotics. TBH I see little improvement in the wound & am just wondering if there is anything more that can be done to promote healing & kill off the MRSA? Seems to be a pretty hopeless situation at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The only thing I can think of is this. When I was going in for an operation a couple of years ago, the doctor who did my pre-op consultation recommended using it begining a few days before the operation and for a while afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

blue light, uv light, and maggots

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Have been using the Manuka Honey long-term.

The maggots did cross my mind but no way the patient would do it :)

Diabetic patients about to lose a leg usually have a change of heart about maggots when its too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sallymae

my kid got mrsa it was nasty to get rid of very hard is clear now u have to have three negs to be clear got it out of a host went in for operation and came out with that nightmare

• Advertisement

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but could you put a comma in there, so your post makes some sense.

Just to update: the person concerned will now be going back into hospital next month - the consultant has advised removal of a metal plate & pins, plus a thorough cleaning of the wound, followed by insertion of an antibiotic chain.

I hope who ever it is gets on ok, it can be very hard to get rid of,

and as for you sponge bob grow up! and make a comment that people are interested in reading!

some people :mad::mad::mad::mad:

bloody idiots

your name is sponge bob :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I also see your in Phoenix park alot makes sense ok!!!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

I just saw sponge bob said maggots they don't use maggots

depending what type of mrsa it is, and where it is they use different creams antibiotics to treat it don't mind sponge bob

sallymae wrote: »
    I just saw sponge bob said maggots they don't use maggots

depending what type of mrsa it is, and where it is they use different creams antibiotics to treat it don't mind sponge bob

Larval debridement I think is the "proper" name for using maggots to clear infected tissue. I saw a TV programme where it was used - I think in a UK hospital - for patients with chronic MRSA infection. I don't know that it has been proven to be any more effective than conventional treatment though?

We are on a long-running cycle of antibiotic & topical treatments - these help to maintain the condition most of the time but only offer limited improvement until the infection takes hold & flares up again. There is a lot of hope pinned on the planned surgery so I just hope to God it is successful - otherwise the psychological impact is something we really don't want to be facing into :(

Advertisement