Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipmunk spotted in Waterford

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If NARGC spent more of their resources controlling mink/grey squirrel as they do releasing non-native pheasant/red-legged partridge, that would be a help to all irish native wildlife. I do realise they do try and control mink/grey squirrel.

I'm not involved with the NARGC so I won't speak for them. I do know they subsidise the purchase of traps and other items for their clubs.

The reason I suggest the bounty was primarily based on the NPWS mink trapping scheme. I read somewhere that they wanted to control the species, not eradicate it. Which makes absolutely no sense what so ever. With an alien species, you either want it, or you don't. With mink especially, it's not a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

If NARGC spent more of their resources controlling mink/grey squirrel as they do releasing non-native pheasant/red-legged partridge, that would be a help to all irish native wildlife. I do realise they do try and control mink/grey squirrel.

they do, there is a competetion every year between clubs, the club gets so much for every fox mink etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm not involved with the NARGC so I won't speak for them. I do know they subsidise the purchase of traps and other items for their clubs.

The reason I suggest the bounty was primarily based on the NPWS mink trapping scheme. I read somewhere that they wanted to control the species, not eradicate it. Which makes absolutely no sense what so ever. With an alien species, you either want it, or you don't. With mink especially, it's not a grey area.
    Are you sure they only want mink controlled? Have you a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

jap gt wrote: »
    they do, there is a competetion every year between clubs, the club gets so much for every fox mink etc
    I'm aware of that. The point I was making was to spend less resources with non-native species like pheasant/french partridge and put more resources into gray squirrel/mink control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

I'm aware of that. The point I was making was to spend less resources with non-native species like pheasant/french partridge and put more resources into gray squirrel/mink control.

well they are a game council, npws is the crowd that should be doing more,, any half decent club will do all they can to stop the mink, not much point spending money putting birds on the ground for a fox/mink to eat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Are you sure they only want mink controlled? Have you a link?

I don't have a link, I read it somewhere while I was researching the tender they were offering, but it was control and not eradication. Presumably this was due to the fact that there were specific areas out for tender, rather than the entire country. I considered putting in a price but after much thought the mileage was excessive for what I would be getting. Location, location, location.

Currently, a small bounty for each mink caught would yield good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

To be fair Feargal, NARGC are pretty much the only ones doing anything about this problem in Ireland apart from localized efforts by BWI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

johngalway wrote: »

Currently, a small bounty for each mink caught would yield good results.

I fully agree John - but our dear leaders seem to want to hand every brass farthing in the country to the bankers so its not going to happen any time soon:(:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

article-1281694454208-0AC5DC34000005DC-764244_636x735.jpg

Hands up if u hate grey squirrels and chipmunks

Advertisement