Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Present for a cycling mad bestman...

• 23-09-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Right so I got married a few weeks ago and the best man did a great job (friend, not relative).

I have been thinking about getting him something special for the past while and nothing has really sprung to mind apart from the below. What would you think if you got this, a waste of money or savage?

http://www.rapha.cc/classic-softshell-jacket

If anyone can suggest something else please feel free.

Thanks.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have one of those jackets.

I've only worn it on the bike a couple of times so can't comment much on its cycling function, but wear it off the bike every day except in the summer and absolutely love it.

After a year or so of this use one of the cuffs has started to detach, but that just needs a quick re-stitch. Otherwise its as new.

The only problem for normal wear is that it is cut quite short on the front, so looks a bit stupid with contrasting clothing (e.g. white t-shirt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Although expensive Rapha make fantastic bike clothing. If i could afford that jacket I would buy it in a flash, I have other products like the 3/4 length shorts, and a couple of jerseys, two gilets, arm warmers, knee warms etc and they are always the first thing I reach for. I think the quality is excellent and they are very easy to deal with if something is wrong or you don't like it in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Assos also make top quality bike wear.

http://www.assos.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I wear a lot of Rapha stuff and like their gear.
    However any time I am out and see another rider dressed in Rapha I think it looks remarkably knobbish and twee.
    Tend to see a lot of middle aged wannabes (like myself) in it.
    Looks good on me however.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

Cheers lads.

I have been informed by his girlfriend that he has a decent jacket already, so thats thrown a spanner in the works.

What else would you be chuffed with if you got it as a present, maybe around 150 - 200 snots?

:D

• Advertisement

Quick wrote: »
    I have been informed by his girlfriend that he has a decent jacket already, so thats thrown a spanner in the works.

I can't help wondering whether she applies the same minimalism to her own wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

wardrobe(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Keeping with the Rapha theme maybe these they are very nice and fit in the price bracket.

There are of course plenty of other options as said Assos do very good quality but I think lack the same style.

Something for the bike would be a very personal thing so maybe best steer away from that. But shoes could be an option?

Assos Airjack 851.
    There isn't a better winter jacket for the bike.

But you could get him an accessory goodie bag comprising;
    Chamois cream
    Embrocation
    Gloves, caps, arm and leg warmers.
    Overshoes.
    CO2 pump and refills.
    Crankbrothers speedlevers.
    Buff.

All of this is nice stuff for the bike obsessed person.

• Advertisement

Hungrycol wrote: »

Tasty. I was going to suggest a Norbar.

In the spirit of "expensive stuff that I can't quite justify buying myself", I suggest a pair of Arundel Mandible carbon bottle cages, £75 delivered from Echelon Cycles.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ROK ON wrote: »
    Assos Airjack 851.
    There isn't a better winter jacket for the bike.

There is

Only wear them when it's really cold though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

ROK ON wrote: »
    I wear a lot of Rapha stuff and like their gear.
    However any time I am out and see another rider dressed in Rapha I think it looks remarkably knobbish and twee.
    Tend to see a lot of middle aged wannabes (like myself) in it.
    Looks good on me however.

WTF??:eek:

Do you still have the jacket for sale?!

ckeego wrote: »
    WTF??:eek:

Do you still have the jacket for sale?!
    Yes.

Advertisement