Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving Private Ryan

Options
  • 23-09-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Does any one know if there is a monument or memorial of some kind around Ballinesker/Curracloe from the filiming of Saving Private Ryan and if so where it is as I was told there was one but it's kind of a big beach to go searching.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

gears wrote: »
    Does any one know if there is a monument or memorial of some kind around Ballinesker/Curracloe from the filiming of Saving Private Ryan and if so where it is as I was told there was one but it's kind of a big beach to go searching.

The county council and the tourisim board should be Ashamed of themselves As far as i Know the only thing that is left belonging to the Film is a Landing craft that is falling to pieces. Its beside the Restaurant at the holiday village.

The same thing happened In Enniscorthy and Courtown that had two films in the 60s and 70s

The Violent Enemy 1967 in Enniscorthy and Courtown http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063781/

The Underground made in 1970 in Enniscorthy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066505/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its the locals they don't want anything to do with the film they wanted Curracloe to be the same place it was before the film was made and didn't want the film to have any longterm effect on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Locals around Slea Head & the Dingle Peninsular don't mind raking in the cash from tourists visiting the film sites used during Ryan's Daughter.

There's often plenty of overseas visitors walking down the former main street of the village built for the film even though it was bulldozed soon afterwards! :rolleyes:

Suppose the Kerry folk are are experts in tourism & promoting the region to visitors, something Wexford could take on board in this case at least.

Anything that draws visitors in should be considered IMO, especially in these recession hit times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I think movie fans enjoy visiting the actual place their favourate movie was filmed. I think the Council should erect a plaque or something.

If I lived near the actual site of Saving Private Ryan I'd have tried to buy some movie memorabilia, signed posters, photos of screen shoots etc with the idea of setting up some sort of business. Movie museum, cafe etc.
    Even a local pub with a "Private Ryan" Lounge with exclusive movie memorabilia might attract business.

I remember "Underground", not much of the plot but really remember Nazis on the Old Bridge, Vinegar Hill, Irish Street, the Prom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

I actually thought there was something there, not on the main beach, but down the slip road to the small carpark., on that end of the beach....... I stand to be corrected though !

secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I was down there last week and there is nothing to remember the film... no monument nothing. I don't even know what part of the beach it was a filmed at to be honest. It's sad because Hollywood came and Tom Hanks was on that beach so was Speilberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

scaller wrote: »
    The county council and the tourisim board should be Ashamed of themselves As far as i Know the only thing that is left belonging to the Film is a Landing craft that is falling to pieces. Its beside the Restaurant at the holiday village.

The same thing happened In Enniscorthy and Courtown that had two films in the 60s and 70s

The Violent Enemy 1967 in Enniscorthy and Courtown http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063781/

The Underground made in 1970 in Enniscorthy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066505/

Star studded cast in "The Underground" . :D

Anyway back on topic. If Enniscorthy can't make anything out of having a 'genuine' battlefield on its doorstep you can't really expect County Wexford to make much of makey-up battlefield.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Star studded cast in "The Underground" . :D

Forget about the main actors. It's all the locals that took part in the film. Some of the Towns true Comedians and characters were in the film That's what the majority of people mention and the look of Enniscorthy in 1970 compared to today when I bring up the topic.
    Most of the locals that took part in the film have passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

secman wrote: »
    I actually thought there was something there, not on the main beach, but down the slip road to the small carpark., on that end of the beach....... I stand to be corrected though !

secman

Yes there used to be a big sign with some pics of the film being made and some info re the location but it was removed this year. The landing scenes at the start were made about 1000 metres on the left as you come on to the beach from this entrance. My mother in law was there the day they were filming and stood in the rain for most of the day watching the filming. Spielberg came up to say hello to her and friends and was apparently a very nice chap.

I too personally feel the locals should be using it to their advantage as there are very little other attractions in this area (asides from the amazing beach of course;))

Advertisement