Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Problem

Options
  • 23-09-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Went to a Post Office today to post some packets, 1 to Ireland and 4 to the UK.

The cost came to 44 Euro.

When I got home I checked the receipt which is a "Certificate of Posting" and is stamped and has 44 euro written on it.

I showed this to someone and they said they always receive a white receipt with the weight in grams and the exact price.

They said I should have received 5 receipts and not 1 stamped docket.
    I then remembered that I had not seen the person behind the counter print or put any stamps on my packets and that he had done the calculations on a calculator.

I became suspicious and returned to the PO, 55 minutes later at 11.20am and I told the person I had dealt with before
    that I thought I had put the wrong address on one of the packets and asked to see them to check.

He said the guy had collected the UK post at 11am but he showed me the one I'd posted to Ireland.

This to me is all very suspicious.

What should I do:

1. Wait and see if the packets arrive and if not then make a complaint.
    2. Contact An Post right away and inform them of the situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

By rights, they should have printed the stamp there and then and stuck it to the package. This would also involve printing the receipt. So yes, normally, you would receive one receipt per stamp printed.

Mind you, I've often seen An Post employees use calculators to total amounts - their tills don't seem to be able to handle that.

You can use An Post's online calculator to check the postage cost, to see if it should be approx €44.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

Saying they collected the UK post doesn't make sense. Surely post is sorted at the sorting office and not the post office.

If you have concerns that your items weren't posted, I would speak to the Post Office manager today or in the morning. If the items don't get delivered, it's your word against theirs. By contacting them first they would have no choice but to follow up on it, if the items don't arrive.

My mom has had a similar thing happen and she also paid a bill their once that never got credited. She complained afterwards to the Manager and they said they knew there was a problem with some members of staff, but didn't have proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Saying they collected the UK post doesn't make sense. Surely post is sorted at the sorting office and not the post office.
    QUOTE]
    It actually does make sense as they try to orgainise the post as they receive it so it doesn't have as much sorting to be done at the sorting office.
    No point in just putting every parcel or package into one big box and then paying someone else to sort it.
    Simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

Maybe, but why would they collect the UK post and leave the Irish post sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Maybe, but why would they collect the UK post and leave the Irish post sitting there.
    Maybe because it has further to go????
    I'm not fully up on all the logistics of how an post work.
    I wouldn't be too concerned OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

to meet schedules for flights ferries etc, while irish or local post could be left for a later collection

Advertisement