Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

goose2005 wrote: »
    Even the Village was a pale imitation of a brilliant German series called "Heimat"

Yeah, well maybe you should move to Germany with Edith and her BF if you love it so much! :D

Seriously though, I think Downton is really supposed to be light Sunday evening family entertainment in the vein of Ballykissangel or Heartbeat. Somehow it's got swept up in this media storm and people seem to be mistaking it for some sort of high quality drama. I gave up on that idea when Matthew's paralysis was cured by looking at Mary's bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

cofy wrote: »
    I think it was mentioned that because his wife was diagnosed as a lunatic (insane), he could not divorce her in England.

Really? ...You couldn't divorce a lunatic in England? I never knew that!!

I would have thought that the lunacy of one of the marriage partners was excellent grounds for divorce!!

I guess the Germans thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Orielle wrote: »
    Really? ...You couldn't divorce a lunatic in England? I never knew that!!

I would have thought that the lunacy of one of the marriage partners was excellent grounds for divorce!!

I guess the Germans thought so.

From what I gather, and I am probably wrong, but a lunatic would have been seen as someone who would not have the mental capacity to engage in legal proceedings such as divorce.

I am trying to look it up, so far I have found that in Melbourne the first divorce granted on the grounds of lunacy was granted in 1919.

cofy wrote: »
    From what I gather, and I am probably wrong, but a lunatic would have been seen as someone who would not have the mental capacity to engage in legal proceedings such as divorce.

I think that's what he said last year, or in the Christmas episode. He can't divorce her because she's not of sound mind to agree to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Still feel that maybe the staff's relationship with the family is just a little bit too relaxed.
    I agree. The war couldn't have changed things that much.
    Maggie Smith is still the best thing about the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

angeleyes wrote: »
    Ah but we made it our own.

I am enjoying Downtown but its slow going though but looking forward to next week. Wonder what the outcome of Lady Edith and her 'boyfriend" will be.

Marriage!
    I'm willing to bet several biscuits on it . :)
    At least one of them has to end up happily married, by the law of averages of nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

[QUOTE=Almaviva;86796187 So much good TV around these days, why is this rubbish pulling in the crowds ? (I suppose soaps do though so maybe...). :confused:[/QUOTE]

Pray tell where is all this good TV around these days? Series 1 of Downton was the best thing on TV, it maybe doesnt feel as good, because we have gotten used to it, but what rivals does it have? Genuine question here.
    That puzzled me too...A lot of events in Downton seem to happen 'somewhere else'...and then we are just told the result as a general fact:

As much as I love it, its not as if Downton Abbey is the centre of the universe.

syklops wrote: »

As much as I love it, its not as if Downton Abbey is the centre of the universe.

If I remember my science, every single point in the universe is at the centre...so..technically..it is:)

Seriously...I know what you mean...I love it too..but there's no fun in getting too intense about it..I missed a lot of it, that's why I get a bit bewildered at times:

If I remember my science, every single point in the universe is at the centre...so..technically..it is:)

Actually every point appears to be at the centre because the universe is expanding, but I digress.
    Seriously...I know what you mean...I love it too..but there's no fun in getting too intense about it..I missed a lot of it, that's why I get a bit bewildered at times:

I wasn't getting intense. Downton is not a programme which you can dip in and out of. In our house, even if you're leaving the room for a minute we pause it because you might lose a piece of valuable information. Even then I didnt remember who the new maid was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

How does Mr Bates just have £30 to give away? That was supposedly a lot of money yet here is Mr Bates who 2 years ago only had a suitcase to his name and since then in prison a year,subject to a court case he presumably paid for legal representation for,bought a house and is now flashing the cash like lord of the manor.

There's good money in dressing these fancy gentlemen obviously!

The Crawleys paid for his solicitor and he didn't buy a house, Robert gave him and Anna the use of one of their workmen's cottages that exist on the estate for certain senior servants, especially those who are allowed to marry, or retired senior servants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

How does Mr Bates just have £30 to give away? That was supposedly a lot of money yet here is Mr Bates who 2 years ago only had a suitcase to his name and since then in prison a year,subject to a court case he presumably paid for legal representation for,bought a house and is now flashing the cash like lord of the manor.

There's good money in dressing these fancy gentlemen obviously!

Although he got the money off Lady Grantham do all the other servants know this.

He still appeared to flash the cash in front of them.

£30 in 1920 would be the equivalent of £1135 today.

Historic inflation calculator - Lump Sum

I wasn't getting intense. .

Actually I was referring to myself, wondering about small details...I had no idea about your viewing habits...so why would I make a personal remark about you.. I sometimes miss it...It is unavoidable, but I have no problem
    remembering the characters and events with which I am familiar.

I remember about the expanding universe now.. Thanks for the reminder though.....:)

I had no idea about your viewing habits...so why would I make a personal remark about you

This is the internet. You don't need a reason to do anything.

Anyway, enough said and we are all friends again. :)

This is the internet. You don't need a reason to do anything.

Anyway, enough said and we are all friends again. :)

I have my standards, even on the internet, I would not knowingly be rude or insulting....but yes...enough said...It's nice to be friends again (Lady Sybil would want it that way ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

brian_t wrote: »
    Although he got the money off Lady Grantham do all the other servants know this.

He still appeared to flash the cash in front of them.

£30 in 1920 would be the equivalent of £1135 today.

Historic inflation calculator - Lump Sum

A grand is not a large sum of money to a member of middle management who no longer drinks, doesn't smoke or gamble and has a wife in a similar employment position. Its what in pre-Bertie times would be about the right sum involved in a "dig out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

A grand is not a large sum of money to a member of middle management who no longer drinks, doesn't smoke or gamble and has a wife in a similar employment position. Its what in pre-Bertie times would be about the right sum involved in a "dig out".

Bates is a valet - is that really middle management ?

I wonder how much a valet would get paid in the 1920's.

brian_t wrote: »
    Bates is a valet - is that really middle management ?

I wonder how much a valet would get paid in the 1920's.

According to this http://edwardianpromenade.com/downton-abbey-2/introduction-to-downton-abbey-pt-2/- he'd be a top of the line servant...and would make about £35-50 a year. So he must be cooking meth on the side. That or Downton Abbey is fiction and doesn't bear too much close scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Bearing in mind at all times that this is just TV :) Didn't Bates say that the money was lent to him when he first arrived. So therefore he could say that he had saved the money up to pay back the loan if anybody questioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 roisinfairy

According to this http://edwardianpromenade.com/downton-abbey-2/introduction-to-downton-abbey-pt-2/- he'd be a top of the line servant...and would make about £35-50 a year. So he must be cooking meth on the side. That or Downton Abbey is fiction and doesn't bear too much close scrutiny.

eh, maybe Lord Grantham was a heavy payer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Remember Bates went to the dowager countess - I bet she gave the cash

Remember Bates went to the dowager countess - I bet she gave the cash

Ah, very true! completely slipped my mind.

Somebody pointed it out a few posts back that he went to Maggie Smith for the money. I think the question being asked now though is the fact that he was seen splashing the cash in front of all the other staff and they might start to ask where he's gotten this amount of cash from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Somebody pointed it out a few posts back that he went to Maggie Smith for the money. I think the question being asked now though is the fact that he was seen splashing the cash in front of all the other staff and they might start to ask where he's gotten this amount of cash from.

My guess is the staff who need to know are the ones who know the truth and since he and Anna are married the others (who do not need to know the truth) might think that he and Anna combined their saved wages to save in order to pay off the debt.

Also didn't Bates sell off some property in another season. I cannot recall but I think he might have....or he had some to sell.

He also rents(?) or maybe even sold his mothers house. I remember Bates and Anna talking about renting it and then selling it when talking about their plan to get a hotel.

He also rents(?) or maybe even sold his mothers house. I remember Bates and Anna talking about renting it and then selling it when talking about their plan to get a hotel.

Yes! I remember that now. He had property and probably rents it out to some family.

• Advertisement

lol we've really gotten the magnifying glass out

lol we've really gotten the magnifying glass out

True. LOL

How hard would it be for the other staff to think he saved the money. He and Anna both work and earn a salary which they can combine. They probably do not spend much on their own needs and take a few of their meals at Downton Abbey. Lord Grantham might supply them with some game after a hunting party so not much need to purchase a lot of food for themselves.

If Bates rents out his mother's property he has income from that or if he sold the property and put the money in a bank then he might have some income from the interest.

Also staff might get a small gift of money at Christmas or on a birthday from their employers. It depends on how generous the Granthams are.

Anyway a plausible story in case some of the staff (I mean you Thomas Barrow!) get to snooping around regarding the 30 pounds.

True. LOL

How hard would it be for the other staff to think he saved the money. He and Anna both work and earn a salary which they can combine. They probably do not spend much on their own needs and take a few of their meals at Downton Abbey. Lord Grantham might supply them with some game after a hunting party so not much need to purchase a lot of food for themselves.

If Bates rents out his mother's property he has income from that or if he sold the property and put the money in a bank then he might have some income from the interest.

Also staff might get a small gift of money at Christmas or on a birthday from their employers. It depends on how generous the Granthams are.

Anyway a plausible story in case some of the staff (I mean you Thomas Barrow!) get to snooping around regarding the 30 pounds.

True. I wouldn't be surprised if Barrow caused some trouble in later episodes.
    ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

What is Barrow at, trying to get Anna in trouble ? Just because he was right about the nanny, Lady Grantham seems to think he's right about everything downstairs, despite his past behaviour. They seem to be trying to make the new maid into the new Mrs O'Brien.

Lady Rose's man from the dancehall was a bit of alright.

Does any one of the family know that Lady Edith's man is married?

Radio5 wrote: »

Lady Rose's man from the dancehall was a bit of alright.

Not bad at all....but too nice for Lady Rose. I have a feeling she likes the bad boys.
    I can see her getting into all sorts of romantic entanglements with cads, and bounders, before she comes to her senses.

She's the wild child of Downton. I'm looking forward to her scandalizing polite
    society:D

• Advertisement

Not bad at all....but too nice for Lady Rose. I have a feeling she likes the bad boys.
    I can see her getting into all sorts of romantic entanglements with cads, and bounders, before she comes to her senses.

She's the wild child of Downton. I'm looking forward to her scandalizing polite
    society:D

I don't think he's too nice for her. She seems lovely. Not sure his Lordship would approve though. Hope they bring him back though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

True. LOL

I have to say that regardless of circumstance and in any time period it would be strange to see a work mate land half a years salary onto the table over the morning tea. :)
    Id be amazed if I say it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That was a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Big cheer in my house!

Duchess: "Where are you from?"
    Branson: "Bray, Co. Wicklow" hahaha

Wasn't expecting that:eek: Thought episode was very slow up to the last 10/15 minutes. Then a right curve ball thrown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Yes, quite shocking. I thought someone would surely come in and save her. It was a very disturbing scene.

I was wondering why they gave a warning of disturbing scenes before the episode. Now I know why.

Layinghen wrote: »
    I was wondering why they gave a warning of disturbing scenes before the episode. Now I know why.

Yup, a footman cooking dinner...myself and Carson still need a stiff brandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yup, a footman cooking dinner...myself and Carson still need a stiff brandy.

I'm still reeling over his lordship sitting beside an Australian at dinner... When will this madness end? :(

Damn, Im missing this.(Im on holiday). When I get home on Thursday evening, I'll have a week of soaps and a Downton to entertain me. And the missus said Id be bored. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Quite upset by that one. Poor Anna. Joanne Froggatt has been the best actress on Downton since the start and she showed it in those few scenes at the end. Shame it's such an upsetting story line for her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Poor Anna..... I was disgusted!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Nigel Harman can ****off back to Eastenders!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

watching with my housemates, and I have to say the three of us were quiet upset. very shocking, had no idea it was coming. :( I am very sad now.

Will we ever see relatively carefree happy episodes like some of the first season again? Poor Anna it was quite upsetting and shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I watched this first last night instead of Love Hate cos I wanted something genteel and fluffy to end the weekend - that's not what I got!

Poor Anna - I agree Joanne Froggat is amazing. In a way I'm glad she has something more meaty to get her teeth into as an actress instead of swoony eyes at Mr Bates or wise one liners to Lady Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Poor Anna, I found that scene very disturbing. I don't think there is a person that watches the show ha doesn't love Anna, I know she is one of my favourite characters, I will be looking forward to how they deal with it though, it could make for interesting viewing. Certainly the darkest storyline in the history of Downton IMHO.

That one scene was very shocking. I never expected it.

On the other hand the scenes of Mary and her guest riding horses were just stunning. Highclere Castle is a beautiful estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Anyone else seeing a storyline where she winds up pregnant from it?
    Really disturbing viewing, especially as it was Lovely Anna...

Which guest was Nigel Harmon's character there with? Was it the guy sniffing around Lady Mary? Just trying to figure out if we're going to be seeing more of him. They wouldn't have cast someone known like him for a one off, I suppose.

Oh, and I was very disappointed not to see more of lovely Sam from the week before. I fear he was a one off :(

• Advertisement

I can totally see that happening lilmissprincess.

Advertisement