Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mrs Hughes getting more refreshments for The Village People

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Theories in the back of beyond of the internet say it could actually been Anna who killed Green on the grounds that she was in London and knew where he lived.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Barna77 wrote: »
    Theories in the back of beyond of the internet say it could actually been Anna who killed Green on the grounds that she was in London and knew where he lived.

Interesting... and could explain why she asked Mary if anyone had seen it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Exactly.

And she time while Lady M had lunch with Gillingham.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Barna77 wrote: »

Wow, that would be a turn-up. Would kill two birds with one stone - get rid of the fecker who raped her, and also get Bates off the hook should he attempt it some time in the future. It could back-fire though if Bates doesn't have an alibi for the time. I hope they don't go down that road again though - another trial, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

Firstly can I just say
    brian_t wrote: »
    If Anna becomes convinced that Bates was going to kill Mr. Green she might step up and kill him (Green) herself.

quickbeam wrote: »
    It could back-fire though if Bates doesn't have an alibi for the time.

Second I think that part of the Anna Theory is that - would Bates have had enough time to get up to London, do the deed and get back to Downton again in the time-frame he had.

Although... why was Anna asking Bates where he was the day before and if he'd done something reckless or whatever way she put it?

^^ Cos she was worried about him not having an alibi?

I'm actually really liking this theory, though I doubt Fellowes is as clever as all that.

^^ Cos she was worried about him not having an alibi?

Yeah but she wouldn't have been asking him if he'd done something stupid then, she would have just wanted to know where he was.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was clutching at straws. I'd be surprised if the story really does go in that direction.

Yeah, I was clutching at straws. I'd be surprised if the story really does go in that direction.

It would be a great twist though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

would Bates have had enough time to get from York to London and back? I doubt it .

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

The thing is...Did he really go to York? We didn't see him there...did we ?

If he did go to London then York was only a cover to get the day off from Carson.

If he did go to London then York was only a cover to get the day off from Carson.

But remember public transport wasnt exactly wonderful back then. I dont think he would have had the time? would he?

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    But remember public transport wasnt exactly wonderful back then. I dont think he would have had the time? would he?

Not to go to York then London, but if he went to London he didn't actually go to York. He could easily have gotten the train to London and back in the day, they've done it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

According to the map of England I've just consulted, if Downton is in Yorkshire, and therefore near York, it's about a million miles from London. In fact, I don't know how they keep going up and down in a day, like they do in the series. York is further from London than Belfast is from Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

According to the map of England I've just consulted, if Downton is in Yorkshire, and therefore near York, it's about a million miles from London. In fact, I don't know how they keep going up and down in a day, like they do in the series. York is further from London than Belfast is from Wexford.
    But sure they had HS2 and hyperloop back then but that dastardly Mr Hitler made them turn it into Spitfires and all that, the rascal :P

They frequently mention Ripon on the show so I assume they're near it. It's 220 miles from Ripon to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Keep an eye out in 2015 (yeah, yeah, I know...) for the latest version of Cinderella from Disney.

Cinderella will be played by Downton's own Lady Rose, Lily James.

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2013/09/23/lily-james-first-look-at-cinderella/

And one of the Ugly Sisters in the movie - although I'm guessing we are encouraged these days to refer to them simply as the stepsisters - is played by Sophie McShera, who plays Daisy in Downton Abbey.

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2013/06/26/sophie-mcshera-joins-the-cast-of-cinderella/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Duck Soup wrote: »
    And one of the Ugly Sisters in the movie - although I'm guessing we are encouraged these days to refer to them simply as the stepsisters - is played by Sophie McShera, who plays Daisy in Downton Abbey.

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2013/06/26/sophie-mcshera-joins-the-cast-of-cinderella/

Poor Daisy never catches a break.

Guilted into marrying a dying man she didn't fancy, loving someone who loves someone else and now this...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Would Bates have paid someone (an ex-con) to do it perhaps??

Grid. wrote: »

That's what I was thinking, he is the kind of guy people owe favours to. So I was thinking maybe he telephoned one of his ex prison buddies to take out the despicable Mr Greene. But I do like the Anna theory

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

Grid. wrote: »

If he did pay an ex prison mate, to do the deed. Wouldn't he have stayed at Downton all day
    so there would be plenty of witnesses, to see him... and to establish an alibi :

Plus how would he have been sure the prison mate would get the right guy? He can't link him to his Facebook or tell him he looks like Dennis off Eastenders.

Plus how would he have been sure the prison mate would get the right guy? He can't link him to his Facebook or tell him he looks like Dennis off Eastenders.

AND it'd have to be some good friend who'd be willing to kill someone so publicly and risk being seen. As Anna keeps telling us a crime of that nature would get you hung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

Very patchy episodes with some scenes looking rushed and longer ones for less important topics.

Green's death might have been a genuine accident or it may have been Anna but like a lot of this series you get the feeling that the big action is being saved for the Christmas ep.

I getting confused between all of Mary's merry men.

Wouldn't Edith need to get herself off to Switzerland soon before her pregnancy becomes noticeable?

I like Isobel's new man. Hope it goes somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Mary's men are looking far too similar! Charles Blake and Lord Gillingham are like mirror images of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

Can't believe I've just checked UPC recorder and Downton not recorded:eek:
    Any clues on how I might see episode 8? I've just tried to download Netflix but Downton isn't on it...
    Any help greatly appreciated

UPC sucks
    try tv3 player or ITV player?? not sure if you can watch episodes back on those!

• Advertisement

UPC sucks
    try tv3 player or ITV player?? not sure if you can watch episodes back on those!

Doesn't seem to be a TV3 player on the UPC on demand.. & I tried to register for ITV player but was told I was "outside region"...
    I don't think either channel repeat Downton any night so it looks as I will have to do without:mad:
    Thanks Sarah anyway

Downton repeats on Sunday at 4:05 on UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Doesn't seem to be a TV3 player on the UPC on demand.. & I tried to register for ITV player but was told I was "outside region"...
    I don't think either channel repeat Downton any night so it looks as I will have to do without:mad:
    Thanks Sarah anyway

You could watch it on the laptop. Plenty of places online to watch it.

Downton repeats on Sunday at 4:05 on UTV.

Well so it does!

Thanks so much Sarah, will get my fix after all:P

One is glad to be of service! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is that Wentworth Miller in the show ?

He's uncredited if he is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

the_monkey wrote: »
    Is that Wentworth Miller in the show ?

He's uncredited if he is...

Who do you think he is playing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

brian_t wrote: »
    Who do you think he is playing ?

Sorry my mistake, I thought he was playing the Valet who attacked Anna
    It's Dennis from Eastenders ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oooh I cannot wait for the Christmas special. :) Does anyone think Lady Edith's squeeze is going to make a return or has he done a runner?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Merkin wrote: »
    Oooh I cannot wait for the Christmas special. :) Does anyone think Lady Edith's squeeze is going to make a return or has he done a runner?

Id be surprised if he gets only a mention. What year are we upto? Mid-twenties? Perhaps a mention of Hitler too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

syklops wrote: »
    Id be surprised if he gets only a mention. What year are we upto? Mid-twenties? Perhaps a mention of Hitler too?

Is it Christmas Day the special is on does anyone know?

I hope lady Edith finds some happiness, she always seems to get a rough time.

Is it Christmas Day the special is on does anyone know?

Yes Christmas Day. 9pm.
    I hope lady Edith finds some happiness, she always seems to get a rough time.

Lady Mary's husband was killed in a car crash
    Lady Sybil dies.

Yeah Edith has it rough. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

syklops wrote: »
    Yes Christmas Day. 9pm.

Lady Mary's husband was killed in a car crash
    Lady Sybil dies.

Yeah Edith has it rough. ;)

Heh heh, good points, well made :D

Heh heh, good points, well made :D

I know what you mean though, she is always close but no cigar.

My favourite "Poor Edith" moment was right after Sybil died and Edith was talking to Mary saying that maybe they should try to be closer now they only had each other and Mary was all Eh..... NO!

Also when Mary said Edith was about as mysterious as a bucket :)

I think that's what she's there for, to be the sad sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think that's what she's there for, to be the sad sack.

Yes, she cuts quite a pathetic figure. I still haven't forgiven her for dobbing Lady Mary in for fornicating with the Turk in Season One! :eek: As a character she has really evolved though so I will be interested to see how she deals with the pregnancy.

FYI everyone, the episode actually airs at 8.30pm!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/10502738/Downton-Abbey-Christmas-special-teaser-released.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

It was good. the last 45 mins were much better

I enjoyed it but I wish they'd keep the storylines simple. "Downton saves the monarchy" was just cringey and hard to care about.They actually had quite a bit of interesting human drama that could've been drawn on if they'd had a decent script writer.

What a load of baubles!!

Mary and her men, the Americans, Branson showing yer one upstairs, the Scooby Doo style plot to steal back the letter, he would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky Crawley's!

I don't like Edith, in fact I'd say she probably ranks bottom of the pile of all the characters ever to appear on Downton, but.... I would rather have seen more of her baby plot than the few minutes we got during the series and then the jump ahead 8 months and she has about two scenes again. Suppose it'll carry on over to the next series now though.

I did enjoy Daisy being wooed by yer man though. She was very funny tonight. Makes a change from her moping after the fellahs like she's done every other series.

Oh, and one of Mary's men being a secret millionaire was rubbish. It made her sound so cold and horrible. I'd have much preferred to see her struggle with having feelings for two completely different men and have to weigh up her feelings versus her duty to protect baby George's inheritance. As it is now she's basically got two nice rich men after her and she can toy with them as much as she likes and they're perfectly happy to allow her to do it.

It was good. the last 45 mins were much better

That's coz Mr Bates was only in the last 45.

It was ok, but a bit cringe in parts. Loved harrold and the Edith story. Would have been nice to finally find out what Thomas has over Baxter though.
    I officially hate Mary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement