Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Okay I had missed two episodes but I'm all caught up now..

Yes I shes a tear for Isis.... one of the saddest deaths!!

Mary- what in gods name is sje playing at! Okay I'll agree I didnt like Edith very much to start, she was mean and minipulative but I've grown to like her a certain amount...Mary is just off the wall insulting ... Like that's her sister!!!

Granny - well.. some of the best lines hands down... but we have now seen her show her soft side twice I think. Once to the russian guy (who she needs more contact with) and once to Mary while talking about Mrs. C's engagement ...This I like though I love her hard shell that she fires quick wit from

Mrs Hughes and Carson need to get a house!! Just do it already!

Also who killed Mr Green (I'm glad he's dead but who did it?) - and is the trouble for anna and bates over because it seriously needs to be!! They need to go live a happy life as a secondary story line!!

Edit: Edith really did go about taking that child back the wrong way! Infact that whole thing was done the wrong way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The memorial for Mrs. Patmore's nephew was a very kind gesture by Lord Grantham, it was nice to see Carson looking surprised too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Edith looked genuinely happy in this last episode. Mary showed a rare moment of vulnerability. Poor Anna!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I had to laugh and say "go on son" when the copper gave Mary the "Queen of the Nile" line :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I'd never get tired of slapping rose's mother, what an awful woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I'd never get tired of slapping rose's mother, what an awful woman

Was she Cordelia Flyte, of the Brideshead Flytes ?
    Didnt she become a nurse or something ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

More eventful episode than normal.
    I really enjoyed the attention to detail, particularly Atticus's father's study and the dialogue "Get down you cat" "Who gives a tinkers cuss about the maids" :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

"Do you find it difficult to find maids"

"Not particularly, but then we're Jewish so we pay well"

LOL:D

I'm glad Edith is happy and that lord Grantham knows and won't cause trouble
    I wish violet and isabelle would marry their respective gentlemen
    I wish Carson and Mrs hughes would get together
    I wish.Mrs pattmore would find someone
    I hope Moseley and Mrs Baxter get it together.

Now after all that love
    I'm glad mary is alone and unhappy
    I dislike mr bates more and more. He's a sulky man with a temper, but I am sorry about Anna who is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I understand that back in the day, servants were referred to by surname, so why are Baxter and Denker referred to by surname yet everyone else calls Anna by her first name? They are all ladies maids.

While we are at it - Thomas and Molesly? :D

I enjoyed this episode. I guessed they were arresting Anna. Well something has to happen for the Christmas special I suppose. But did she do it or not...I think it would be a good plot twist if she did.

I think anna was anna till mary got married then she was known as mrs bates. Mrs o brien and Mrs Baxter are referred to by surname as cora
    was married. Anna only became a proper ladies made when mary was married.
    Thomas was known as Thomas when he was a footman until he became a valet then he became mr barrow.
    I could be totally wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Neyite wrote: »
    I understand that back in the day, servants were referred to by surname, so why are Baxter and Denker referred to by surname yet everyone else calls Anna by her first name? They are all ladies maids.

While we are at it - Thomas and Molesly? :D

I enjoyed this episode. I guessed they were arresting Anna. Well something has to happen for the Christmas special I suppose. But did she do it or not...I think it would be a good plot twist if she did.

Anna is an anomaly! She started off as a housemaid and married Mr Bates then. She only became a ladies maid officially when Mary got married and the family thought it would be too confusing to have two servants called Bates, so they kept calling her Anna because they're all such great chums!

Same with Thomas and Molesley. Molesley was butler and valet in the Crawleys house when they first came to Downton so was called by his last name, when Matthew died, he had no job and could not find one fitting his station. He asked to take on the footman position when Alfred went to London. Thomas worked in reverse having been first footman when he started, going off to war, and coming back and being put into the position of Under Butler.

Anna is an anomaly! She started off as a housemaid and married Mr Bates then. She only became a ladies maid officially when Mary got married and the family thought it would be too confusing to have two servants called Bates, so they kept calling her Anna because they're all such great chums!

Same with Thomas and Molesley. Molesley was butler and valet in the Crawleys house when they first came to Downton so was called by his last name, when Matthew died, he had no job and could not find one fitting his station. He asked to take on the footman position when Alfred went to London. Thomas worked in reverse having been first footman when he started, going off to war, and coming back and being put into the position of Under Butler.

Explained much better than I did :)
    Basically the higher up the servants they are known by surname

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Explained much better than I did :)
    Basically the higher up the servants they are known by surname

That's what I was saying though. :pac: Anna seems to be the exception - probably because otherwise it would be Bates and Bates.

Anybody think that Mary will end up with Tony? Thought she looked a bit bothered by him being with the other woman last night.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Anybody think that Mary will end up with Tony? Thought she looked a bit bothered by him being with the other woman last night.

No she's burnt her bridges there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They're bringing in Matthew Goode for the next series so I reckon that's where they're going with Mary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Neyite wrote: »

It'd make no sense if she did actually do it. Otherwise her whole suspecting Bates of killing Greene would make no sense if she knew it couldn't possibly have been him if it was her all along (if that makes sense) :)

I think Tony or Baxter (Greene being the scoundrel who encouraged her to steal in her last job theory) are the best theories I've heard so far. Though the witness did say that the person who pushed Greene was smaller than Bates and I'm not sure Tony is much smaller than him, so maybe not him after all.

Ooh never thought of greene being the one to encourage Baxter to steal

someone suggested to me that Mrs Hughes knows more than we think! Could it be here, does anyone know where she was that day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

They're bringing in Matthew Goode for the next series so I reckon that's where they're going with Mary.

Oh no, i've high hopes for him and Alicia ;)

No she's burnt her bridges there

Pity, he is oh so hot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

He is ! :D

"Queen of the Upper Nile" hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

Barna77 wrote: »
    He is ! :D

"Queen of the Upper Nile" hahahaha

Her face after he said that was priceless. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Is it me but can anyone see a relationship forming between Lady Mary and Tom Branson?

angeleyes wrote: »
    Is it me but can anyone see a relationship forming between Lady Mary and Tom Branson?

I've been calling for this pretty much since Matthew shuffled off last year. Tom is the only male Mary seems to have any real time for but then again that might just be because she doesn't view him in that way at all and can therefore just be his pal. I don't know that they'd go there with them though.

angeleyes wrote: »

oh no, I get a very brother sister vibe off them!

oh no, I get a very brother sister vibe off them!

They're less related than her and Matthew were ;)

oh I just mean that's how I see their relationship. I'd be very disappointed if they got them together. Much as I hate to say it, its time for Tom to go, he doesn't have any purpose in terms of story anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

One of my favourite lines every!

Mary: Lets all go to lunch on Saturday.. all four of us... even you Edith.

I shouldn't have laughed so much at it ahh but sher its very hard not to love Mary. Was surprised at how well Lord Grantham took the thing about Edith. He had no other option really. But Edith did make it very obvious all the same!

• Advertisement

One of my favourite lines every!

Mary: Lets all go to lunch on Saturday.. all four of us... even you Edith.

I shouldn't have laughed so much at it ahh but sher its very hard not to love Mary. Was surprised at how well Lord Grantham took the thing about Edith. He had no other option really. But Edith did make it very obvious all the same!

I hate to think how much of a bitch Mary will be to Edith when Mary finally finds out.

I do think between the two of them that Edith will be the better parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mary and Tom are going to get it on...whether that's a fullblown relationship or a gin and tonic too many is up in the air. Perhaps while she's upstairs taking her hat off.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I hate to think how much of a bitch Mary will be to Edith when Mary finally finds out.

I do think between the two of them that Edith will be the better parent.
    I highly doubt Mary is like that! Mary makes jokes of little things but not big things like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Mrs. Patmore played a blinder. She had me in tears twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I just got caught up! People were saying it wasnt a great episode but I really enjoyed it. I saw the Anna thing coming but I was still like "Noooooooo" !!!
    I love Mr Bates, I have from the start.
    Thomas is annoying. Denker is a pain in the face. I hope Spratt gets her back. I do hope Isobelle finds a happy ending, preferably by putting Lord Merton's sons in their place at a very crowded dinner table.

Mary is a proper bitch, plain and simple. I think Tom knows her better than most, and therefore will never get together with her. Like someone else said, he is more like a brother.

Baxter and Molsley :)

well now we just have to wait and see!

I highly doubt Mary is like that! Mary makes jokes of little things but not big things like that!!

I think Mary is exactly like that. Did you not hear what she said to Edith when Edith was cuddling Marigold?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Oh no, i've high hopes for him and Alicia ;)

Hahahaha! Same!!!

Interesting theory on Baxter and Greene. Would she really have been that composed when the police questioned her though?
    Poor Rose, what a horrible mother to have!
    Love Lord Gratham for his gesture towards Mrs Pattmore and her nephew.

Was happy with this episode overall! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Hahahaha! Same!!!

Interesting theory on Baxter and Greene. Would she really have been that composed when the police questioned her though?
    Poor Rose, what a horrible mother to have!
    Love Lord Gratham for his gesture towards Mrs Pattmore and her nephew.

Was happy with this episode overall! :D

Who is Alicia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Who is Alicia?

Oh good, I'm not the only one!

Also, who's Matthew Goode? (I know I could just google him!)

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh good, I'm not the only one!

Also, who's Matthew Goode? (I know I could just google him!)

He was in that abomination of a film Leap Year. He is forever hated in this house because of it. :mad:

Edith without a doubt will be the better parent.
    Mary hardly has anything to do with George, never picks him up or anything. Leaves everything to the nanny.
    I do think tom and mary will get together though.

He was in that abomination of a film Leap Year. He is forever hated in this house because of it. :mad:

Well I did google him, and he's rather dishy-looking. Never heard of him, or Leap Year for that matter, so I'll leave my jury locked in their cupboard for the moment!

Confusingly, he's listed on his IMDb page as having appeared in Downton already - episode #5.9, 2014..... did I blink and miss him???

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Who is Alicia?

Main character in the Good Wife :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Well I did google him, and he's rather dishy-looking. Never heard of him, or Leap Year for that matter, so I'll leave my jury locked in their cupboard for the moment!

Confusingly, he's listed on his IMDb page as having appeared in Downton already - episode #5.9, 2014..... did I blink and miss him???

Without looking anything up, isn't there only 8 episodes in a season so 9 would be the Christmas special?

Not sure though.

Without looking anything up, isn't there only 8 episodes in a season so 9 would be the Christmas special?

Not sure though.

That would make sense alright.

• Advertisement

Edith without a doubt will be the better parent.
    Mary hardly has anything to do with George, never picks him up or anything. Leaves everything to the nanny.

Edith will do exactly the same now she's in the house with her. That's how that class of people raised their kids. Edith will be as hands off as Mary.

Edith will do exactly the same now she's in the house with her. That's how that class of people raised their kids. Edith will be as hands off as Mary.

I don't think she will. She has fought this hard to get back her daughter, I can't see her being happy to just see Marigold once a day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Nope, that's the Christmas episode - hasn't been shown yet. If you click through to it is shows airdate of December 2014. He's also in the Good Wife (Finn - the guy who
    stayed with Will when he was shot
    ).

I don't think she will. She has fought this hard to get back her daughter, I can't see her being happy to just see Marigold once a day...

It's not really up to her though, it's just how it was done back then. To imply Tom or Mary love their children any less than Edith does because they allow them to be looked after by a nanny isn't fair.

I really hope Tom doesn't leave for America - the actor isn't meant to be leaving is he? He's actually going to be on TwoTube this evening before Home and Away so he might reveal all then!

• Advertisement
Advertisement