Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

There is some amount of death in that house, the Turk, the baby, Lavinia, William and now Sibyl - all way too young, I wonder how on earth the Dowager Countess managed to survive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Cris Jones wrote: »
    Sorry, but obviously you dont watch the program. You're having a laugh.
    Why are you being like that? I think we'd all prefer to discuss the show in a friendly environment

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see you received a warning over that post, quite right too.
    And I was right to say to "Tickle Me Elmo" about her post about an actress's hair - the girl playing Sybil was acting a part in the 1920s. What did "elmo" want - a punk mohican?...bad to say a stupid joke about a sad episode - "Tickle Me Elmo" is a disgrace. And her jokes are not funny.

Yes, you're exactly right, I wanted her to have a punk mohican hair cut. It's all I've ever wanted for Sybil. But I suppose you're right, I am a disgrace for making a light hearted comment about a fictional character in the 1920's, who was also a fictional character in the same time period in the first 2 series but had nicer hair. How very dare I!!! I'll go flog myself with branches to punish myself for my disgracefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Yes, you're exactly right, I wanted her to have a punk mohican hair cut. It's all I've ever wanted for Sybil. But I suppose you're right, I am a disgrace for making a light hearted comment about a fictional character in the 1920's, who was also a fictional character in the same time period in the first 2 series but had nicer hair. How very dare I!!! I'll go flog myself with branches to punish myself for my disgracefulness.
    You can't put in a post to the thread unless you copy what I wrote.:D

^

That makes lots of sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

And I was right to say to "Tickle Me Elmo" about her post about an actress's hair - the girl playing Sybil was acting a part in the 1920s. What did "elmo" want - a punk mohican?...bad to say a stupid joke about a sad episode - "Tickle Me Elmo" is a disgrace. And her jokes are not funny.

now i am giving you a warning, i have had enough of this now, i am asking that you be banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

^

That makes lots of sense.

dont mind him the is a lonely sad man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

You're trolling a Downton Abbey thread? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After ignoring a written warning and an infraction, Cris Jones will be taking a well earned rest from the forum. See you in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I see the Indo managed to spoil tonights episode for the TV3 viewers.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/farewell-lady-sybil-as-she-dies-a-very-victorian-death-3259333.html

It was on the front page earlier.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

I'd say Ray D'arcy got in trouble yesterday too.
    They had a discussion about it on his show.

I didn't see it coming though and that doesn't happen very often.
    It was a great way to boost this series as I have felt it drifting a bit.

Great acting by all in the death scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I see the Indo managed to spoil tonights episode for the TV3 viewers.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/farewell-lady-sybil-as-she-dies-a-very-victorian-death-3259333.html

It was on the front page earlier.:rolleyes:

TV3 might take note to actually put it on Sunday night in instead of Wednesday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

KerranJast wrote: »
    Was I the only one thinking the whole thing was very postmodern? You never have a real 20s era man waiting on a birth like that. Hell even as lates as the 70s prospective fathers had to be dragged out of the pub to go see the new kid.

Anyway, all the melodrama aside it was worth it for that one 2 minute bit of acting brilliance from Maggie Smith. She's incredible.

Absolutely on both fronts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shopaholic86

TV3 might take note to actually put it on Sunday night in instead of Wednesday

Exactly why I always watch it on ITV! Anyway if I waited for TV3 someone would probably tell me or I'd see it online or something - is it because of the Xtra factor that they don't show it then? (doesn anyone watch that anyway!!!apologies if you do :))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I wonder are they not allowed show it at the same time? I would happily wait until whatever Xfactor nonsense was over to watch it where I could pause and skip through ads (have Sky) but not willing to run the internet gamut of 3 whole days to watch on Wednesdays. At least, it's there if I forget it's on or have Sunday evening plans though...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I wonder are they not allowed show it at the same time? I would happily wait until whatever Xfactor nonsense was over to watch it where I could pause and skip through ads (have Sky) but not willing to run the internet gamut of 3 whole days to watch on Wednesdays. At least, it's there if I forget it's on or have Sunday evening plans though...

I decided not to watch on Sunday and record it - I did my best to avoid it on Monday but still in the course of some stuff on twitter managed to see a tweet about Sybil so I knew about that by Monday afternoon. It would be incredibly difficult to avoid it for 3 whole days! I had to watch it on Monday evening then to avoid any more spoilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Just saw Lord Grantham aka Hugh Bonneville being interviewed on Xpose. Quite easy on the eye.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Wednesday nights downton abbey is a repeat of Sundays on tv3,
    Tv3 and utv show it on same time after xfactor sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

No I think TV3 show the xtra factor while Downton is on UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

This weeks ep seemed much slower after the shocking revelation last week. So disappointed they are letting Bates go free. Just cant seem to get invested in his character. Would much rather he be hanged off screen and that would be the end of it.

• Advertisement

I can't bring myself to care about anyone on Downton anymore. Maybe Daisy, if I try really hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I am glad that the Bates story is coming to an end. I would like to see the story of the development of the estate and Matthew and his Lordship coming to more blows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I thought the Bates storyline was handled pretty clunkily tonight. Lawyer travels to meet unpleasant woman who refuses to play ball. Bates gets heavy with shifty cellmate. Anna gets a letter saying everything's been sorted out.
    Does this make any sense to anybody?

I thought the Bates storyline was handled pretty clunkily tonight. Lawyer travels to meet unpleasant woman who refuses to play ball. Bates gets heavy with shifty cellmate. Anna gets a letter saying everything's been sorted out.

Seems to me like even the writers got pissed off with this storyline.

Him being in jail in the first place made no sense anyway. They didn't actually have any evidence. The whole thing was a terrible plot form start to finish. Poor Anna dragged down with this rubbish for 2 whole series. I really liked her at the start but they stuck her with Bates and she's gone nowhere since.

I don't like Bates and his story anymore either. I think he has gotten really rough compared to the lovely Bates we knew at the beginning. They did the funeral so fast too - thought they could have played that out more - I had the tissues ready and all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"Well of course these days servants are very hard to find" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Maggie Smith saves the day. Again.

I loved her line "lie is such an unmusical word" Classic Dowager :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

SarahBM wrote: »
    Maggie Smith saves the day. Again.

Such a shame to waste a good pudding:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The last shot was a tear jerker, especially with Dowger turned away from Lord and Lady Granthams embrace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Poor old Thomas. We all know what a shit he can be, but I felt his pain at being gay in those times. I cringed when Carson was talking about his disgusting mind and threatening him with the police.

The whole thing with Tom taking over the running of the farm was signlaned about two episodes ago. Can't believe it took the characters that long to make the suggestion. At least they found a way to keep him around, which is a good thing, as I like his character.

Yeah I felt bad for Thomas this whole series. I still don't get why O'Brien is so against him this year, and to push it to this, where he could be arrested and jailed, and probably worse, makes no sense. She's gone beyond the enjoyable panto villain she was the first two series.

Dowager Countess was on fine form this week. Sorted Ethel out, sorted Tom out, supported Edith, had quite a few zingers too. She's the best thing about this show, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Only 1 episode left??

too soon, too soon!

Gutted!

youngblood wrote: »
    Only 1 episode left??

too soon, too soon!

Gutted!

Don't forget the Christmas Special.

Are they definitely having a Christmas Special?? Really disliking Robert this season - he is anti everything, I understand changes are happening fast but still. Also felt so sorry for Thomas, actually hid under my blanket when he went into the room - bad O'Brien!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Are they definitely having a Christmas Special??
    Downton Abbey's Series 3 dvd and blu ray boxset will be released in the UK on 5 November 2012.
    The Christmas special airs in the UK on Christmas Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Downton-Abbey-Series-3-2012/316020848414660

Only one more episode? Are they for real? Thats an absolute joke.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just caught up on the last two episodes, so good. Loving the Dowager as always. So funny. Can't believe there is only one left (and the Christmas special)

• Advertisement

Yep as usual the Dowager steals the show. I would like to see the story line of Edith and the 'editor' develop more. Have to agree with you shopaholic, not liking Robert at all, really showing his true colours maybe. O'Brien has always been a bad egg! anyway and likes to stir the you know what.

When I saw someone posting that there is only one episode left I was like nooooo sure it only started a few weeks ago and then I looked at the calendar and yep there is only one more left. Sunday nights will not be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

John_D80 wrote: »
    Only one more episode? Are they for real? Thats an absolute joke.
    Why? It's the same amount as both of the previous series. US television shows tend to be twenty-odd episodes long per season, but not so much in the UK. DA is in line with a lot of UK productions.

I feel the same Angeleyes - I don't know what I'll do with my Sunday nights now! I suppose it is better that it is shorter - otherwise it would become boring fast and I imagine they would run out of story lines. (Like a lot of the U.S. programs!)

Have 8 years passed in the series? Funny how none of them have aged a day! They ran through WWI far too fast. Still, can't wait for the next series - best thing on tv!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

is there definitely a christmas special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I like Branson's brother, he's a bit of fun anyway! :D Wonder if he'll stay on for a bit? :)

SarahBM wrote: »
    is there definitely a christmas special?

Yep there is!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2385306/

Also Joanne Froggatt alludes to it in this Vanity Fair interview.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2012/07/downton-abbey-mr-bates-anna-season-three-joanne-froggatt

Finally this article published in August mentions the fact that at that moment the cast were filming the 2012 Christmas Special.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/907352-downton-abbey-star-hints-at-lady-edith-wedding-in-christmas-special

• Advertisement

Why? It's the same amount as both of the previous series. US television shows tend to be twenty-odd episodes long per season, but not so much in the UK. DA is in line with a lot of UK productions.

Fair enough, but they've surely had an increased buget on th back of the success of series one and two and could afford to make more.
    On a side note I read an interview in an American Magazine online with Hugh Bonneville and he hinted at 2 main characters dying in this series. Cybil's gone already. Who's the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

90 mins long tonight
    Sad its the last one though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Anyone else watching now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

So this 18 yr old is a brazen hussy.... I wonder did Mary have a child with that Turk a while ago when she dissappeared to London!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/87132/Downton-Abbeys-Dan-Stevens-To-Quit-Show-For-Hollywood

So, if Matthew Crawley doesn't turn up for season 4, will that mean that Tom Branson will take over as lord of the manor eventually?

An Irish republican running Downton, I can see Julian Fellowes having fun with that story line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement