Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushmill BlackBush now 19.99 in OBriens

Options
  • 23-09-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

posted in bargain alerts..is this worth a try ??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Probably the most excellent Value for money Bushmills at that price. Blackbush has over 70% malt content which is unusual for a blend and has a high ratio of sherry cask which give it a richness. Basically think of christmas cake aromas.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dkd

Crap, Crap, crap. Was in O'Briens yesterday but was only buying beer so didn't notice this. When does it finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Damn that's a good deal. Black bush is one of the nicest whiskies for the price you can get. At 20e its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Whisky novice here but would like to enter the whisky realm (it always looks so nice on tv). Although I find it hard to get past the burn.

Theres no o'briens near me but dunnes are doing bushmills white for €17.00. What you think of this one? Is it a good one for a 1st timer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bennyob wrote: »
    Although I find it hard to get past the burn.
    If you're not adding water, put a little bit in. If it's still burning, a little more.
    Theres no o'briens near me but dunnes are doing bushmills white for €17.00. What you think of this one? Is it a good one for a 1st timer?
    Not as good value as the Black Bush, but it's a good price for a decent whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Whisky novice here but would like to enter the whisky realm (it always looks so nice on tv). Although I find it hard to get past the burn.

The white bush has got a lot better in recent years. Does well in blind tastings against other entry-level blends.

If you don't like the burn, add water. You eventually get used to it.

I'd recommend these Bushmills, or the Bushmills 10. Jameson and Powers are also very approachable, I think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Try in your first sip taking a small amount onto your tongue then *slowly* breathe in filling your throat with the vapours. Don't expect to taste the full flavours from your first sip. Then, when the vapours are nearly gone, gurgle the whiskey around your mouth and then swallow.

Breathe in once or twice afterwards.

You should now be able to taste the whiskey fully without noticing the buring too much.

Just be careful though because if you breathe in too quickly or take too big a sip it could hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

No harm starting with something like this which is not going to be an expensive mistake (can always use it for hot whiskeys or Irish Coffees ;) ) However if you find it not to your taste at first don't let that put you off ...

I regularly drink whiskeys 60% + in vol and don't add water ... when I drank my first cask strength whiskey even with several years of whiskey under my belt I found it very hot.

... it takes time to educate your palate especially in what alot of people consider a brash spirit.

Advertisement