Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The ploughing show thingy

• 23-09-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭

wtf is the fascination with radio stations going to this? both rte and newstalk having a w**kfest over it the last few days with their live shows

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

neris wrote: »
    wtf is the fascination with radio stations going to this? both rte and newstalk having a w**kfest over it the last few days with their live shows
    100% agree......... cant understand it at all,now i have been to the ploughing and would reccomend anyone and everyone go for a day out but broadcasting from there....... whats it all about:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

why not its the biggest event in the country why not be there,or neris is it because its mainly to do with farmers they shouldnt get any coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes. What other event is going on in Ireland this month where nearly a quarter of a million people will attend over three days??

it's a huge event, not just for farmers but for business too. It is completely appropriate for broadcasters to follow where the public interest is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Very cheap PR for the stations. A lot cheaper than buying ad time in the papers or on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

neris wrote: »

The ploughing championships is now the largest gathering of rural people in Europe. Seeing as up to 70% of their listeners are outside of Dublin, it is their chance to keep in touch. Great PR for the stations in the country.... Its over today so you wont have to put up with it much longer.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

This ploughing thingy? Would you call the olympics the olimpic thingy, or the world cup the world cup thingy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

or the world cup the world cup thingy?

no id call it the world diving and conning the ref championships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Stop digging pal.

Called out and paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawned.

Be a man and apologize.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Stop digging pal.

Called out and paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawned.

Be a man and apologize.

For a man that has a bee in his bonnet over the way the English language is spoken on radio, would you care to tell us, what the hell the above actually means or is it some sort of code??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pawned

I apologise for deviating from form.

You are dead right to call me out on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Most of shows I've heard, despite constantly telling us that they where there, had hardly any content on the ploughing championship itself. It was, more or less, their normal shows but with poorer sound quality. I don't see the point really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Rubik. wrote: »
    I don't see the point really.
    To raise the stations profile and meet new & current listeners? If you have 250k visiting the site many by car its a golden opportunity to raise a stations profile with their audience.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Most of shows I've heard, despite constantly telling us that they where there, had hardly any content on the ploughing championship itself. It was, more or less, their normal shows but with poorer sound quality. I don't see the point really.

What:eek:

It's the metaphorical climb down from the ivory towers, the descent down to the level of the proletariat, the appearance on the same level as the consumer, The mixing with the great unwashed and the annual attempt to connect with the listening public on a 'I can see you' basis.

That's why they all do it.

It's called PR:D

I'm fcuking surprised at you:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

****ing yoke ruined my entire week, making sure that it took a whole extra hour to get home. I went to it a few times before, a good day out for everyone, not just farmers, but the traffic was crazy this year.

It needs to be held somewhere out of the way next year, where's there's plenty of room and a few good approach roads.

GSF wrote: »
    To raise the stations profile and meet new & current listeners? If you have 250k visiting the site many by car its a golden opportunity to raise a stations profile with their audience.

Thats a fair point, but it doesn't make for great radio for the rest of us who aren't at it.

I'm fcuking surprised at you:confused:

Why?

I had you down as an intelligent listener who knew how it rolls:p

Whatever gave you that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

ILA wrote: »
    ****ing yoke ruined my entire week, making sure that it took a whole extra hour to get home. I went to it a few times before, a good day out for everyone, not just farmers, but the traffic was crazy this year.

It needs to be held somewhere out of the way next year, where's there's plenty of room and a few good approach roads.

id say the local business hotels B&B's wouldnt agree with you its some financial boost for the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Ploughing thingy gives the media their annual chance to show they are interesed in rural affairs, that leaves them free to spend the other 362 days of the year obssessing their metropolitian ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

mike65 wrote: »
    The Ploughing thingy gives the media their annual chance to show they are interesed in rural affairs, that leaves them free to spend the other 362 days of the year obssessing their metropolitian ways.

360 actually - you're forgetting the Rose of Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

mike65 wrote: »

I'm impressed, Mike65! (now you're worried)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

sligono1 wrote: »
    why not its the biggest event in the country why not be there,or neris is it because its mainly to do with farmers they shouldnt get any coverage.

Technically, the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann is still the biggest festival in Ireland each year. But your point is solid.

Advertisement