Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow cooker......yes or no????

Options
  • 23-09-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've been thinking of investing in a Slow Cooker - but I've never used one before or never even seen one in action.

I work all day - leave home around 8.30.
    My son comes home from school around 4pm - so it would be nice to have a hot meal ready then.

Has anybody ever used one?
    Are they worth it?
    Are they safe to leave switched on for the day??

Any advice welcome!!!

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Informative thread here. I got one a few weeks ago and find it fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Miss Ellie, they're great and are completely safe to leave on all day. Have a look at the thread Mountjoy Mugger linked, and if you search you'll find other threads about slow cookers too.

I use mine a lot for stews and casseroles, but you have to remember to use less liquid in a slow cooker because it doesn't boil off - and if you're including potatoes they need to be sliced about 1 cm thick and put on the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was down in Brittany earlier in the year, and the couple in the next door Mobile brought their slow cooker with them.
    They would prepare the food in the morning and leave it cooking while they were out all day.
    On the return hey presto- dinner!
    Food doesn't get ruined fast like in an oven or a fryer, if it cooks another hour big deal.
    They are great for tougher cuts of meat, you can cook them so they become very tender, in fact things that have a lot of connective tissue become very good in a slow cooker, whereas most other forms of cooking would make them tough and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ya I think they're good,Morphy Richards have two as far as I'm aware,a bigger one and a smaller one. Get the bigger one,I think its only 40 euro or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Miss_Ellie

Thanks for all the helpful advice......and for directions to the other thread which I never saw!!! Think I need to go to Specsavers!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement