Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Office Phones

Options
  • 23-09-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Does anyone else have a problem getting an answer from the dole office in kilkenny, i live out in the country and find it hard to get in to the city i have bben trying for past 2 days to try get an answer from them with no luck these ppl get paid to a job and they cant even do a simple task of answer the phone im sure there is plenty of unemployed ppl who would be glad of doing this job and be able to do it with better ability than those already there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not unique to Kilkenny

Offices are understaffed so hold off bashing the staff when you don't even understand what they do

However, the Irish state can still help you
    www.citizensinformaton.ie
    Will answer most questions

Or visit or call
    Kilkenny CIC
    4, The Parade
    Kilkenny
    Co. Kilkenny

Tel: 1800 222 121, 056 7762755
    Fax: 056 7720298
    email: kilkenny@citinfo.ie kilkenny.cic@citinfo.ie.
    Wheelchair-accessible: Yes

The 1800 number is a national service, they will help and you won't be on hold for long

Look for solutions, not problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Hi there. I live in Dublin but I can only presume that they've made it a policy of not answering them because they can concentrate on getting over the increasing numbers who are signing on. I've had this problem with two different dole offices in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

Not unique to Kilkenny

Offices are understaffed so hold off bashing the staff when you don't even understand what they do

However, the Irish state can still help you
    www.citizensinformaton.ie
    Will answer most questions

Or visit or call

The 1800 number is a national service, they will help and you won't be on hold for long

Look for solutions, not problems :)

if i could the answer from somewhere else i would im not an idiot i need to speak to a person in the dole office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Christ, I'm only trying to help you, lose the attitude :mad:

Maybe go to State Benefits forum and post up your question

Christ, I'm only trying to help you, lose the attitude :mad:

Maybe go to State Benefits forum and post up your question

i dont think state benefits would help as im on casual dockets for p/t work my 2 days are today and tomorrow i cant get into the office and have not recieved dockets to return for this week or next which will effect my payment which i just spent 7 weeks waiting on so sorry for attitude but am slightly stressed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not unique to Kilkenny

Ok but how about they put a recorded message up to reflect that they don't have staff to answer?

From anyone I spoke to I've never heard of them answering phones yet there's days people have gone into the offices and there's very few people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I heard from someone who works there that it is policy that they don't answer the phones any more. If you need to speak to them you have to go in person. Bloody stupid! I have a lovely phone voice and would be more than glad of the job and I wouldn't look for all the benefits either, just a regular wage. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I heard from someone who works there that it is policy that they don't answer the phones any more. If you need to speak to them you have to go in person. Bloody stupid! I have a lovely phone voice and would be more than glad of the job and I wouldn't look for all the benefits either, just a regular wage. :(

Thats the thing, they're 1000's of people will to do the job in there as long as its higher then 196e a week even if it comes with no benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It seemed to me like they were not answeriung phones almost out of protest to the increased work load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I heard from someone who works there that it is policy that they don't answer the phones any more.
    According to their website (welfare.ie) that's not true.

Telephone Service
    The Department is continuing to improve the telephone services provided to customers and has recently invested in a new telephony infrastructure, and telephone management software, which will be rolled out to all its offices in the coming years. This new system not only allows customers to ring a single number to access a range of services but facilitates customers in selecting the right service.
    Aims
    Have a single contact number
    Ensure that a person gets through to the right section first time
    Provide a quality telephone service
    Reduce the number of abandoned calls and waiting times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smurfet123

If you ring at 9.30 you will get through, they answer for about 10 mins then thats it for day. I was told this when I complained in the Kilkenny office.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Nolanger wrote: »
    According to their website (welfare.ie) that's not true.

Telephone Service
    The Department is continuing to improve the telephone services provided to customers and has recently invested in a new telephony infrastructure, and telephone management software, which will be rolled out to all its offices in the coming years. This new system not only allows customers to ring a single number to access a range of services but facilitates customers in selecting the right service.
    Aims
    Have a single contact number
    Ensure that a person gets through to the right section first time
    Provide a quality telephone service
    Reduce the number of abandoned calls and waiting timesHa ha ha!

Not a reliable source. :D

Amazing though how during the tiger they answered with phone within a couple of rings every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

shivkk06 wrote: »
    if i could the answer from somewhere else i would im not an idiot i need to speak to a person in the dole office

Attitude!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

femur61 wrote: »
    Attitude!
    For which the poster later apologised...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

They are a nightmare!! I rang the office 26 times in one day to tell them I had a few days work! And then when I was in there next I got a load of attitude from a little **** behind the counter in a Laois jersey with spiky hair!! I realise they don't have an easy job in there and in fairness some of the staff are very nice but I am sick of being talked down to and treated like being out of work was my fault. I also think that uniforms would be an improvement in there as half the staff obviously have no interest in dressing anyway smartly, they wouldn't get away with dressing like that in the private sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Anyone who attributes their not answering the phone to an increased workload is 100% talking out of their arse. Sorry, but this is not a new development.

I don't know what their policy is and I don't really care. I was signed on for the latter half of 2006, for a period of 2007 and for a period in 2008. All before the recession. Never once did they ever answer phonecalls in this time. When I asked them why this was I was told to just write letters as they would be dealt with quicker. Since then, I've consistently written letters instead of phoning and everything I've needed to be dealt with has been done in a very quick manner. Evidently, they are complete luddites over there and just don't like dealing with modern communication technology.

Threadhead wrote: »
    When I asked them why this was I was told to just write letters as they would be dealt with quicker.

Letters are faster?
    Man I must remember that when my DSL goes down next, I'll write to my ISP in order for them to troubleshoot my issue.

That should work perfectly :rolleyes:

Its clear they just don't want to talk to people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

Went back to college and got Back to Education which I was approved for, then I was told along with my registration letter from college I need another one to say I am attending, I asked the college and they dont issue such letters so I try to ring the office in Kilkenny 39 times on Wednesday 43 Thursday 39 Friday and 22 times today and I today they picked the phone up 2 and hung up straight away. I will now have to do what they advise against and that is miss 2 lectures so I can attend the office first thing to try deal with it. What a joke what are these people been paid for and then they wonder why the private sector has such issue with them.

Yup, it's pretty much a certainty that they just don't want to talk to people in any way shape or form, unless you turn up there.

And they'll tell you that they are too busy to answer the phone but can deal with your query by letter no problem?

I'd keep in mind that a ringing phone is an annoying noise and would keep it up all day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd keep in mind that a ringing phone is an annoying noise and would keep it up all day.

They probably have a turn off button as there's no way anyone could put up with the number of times mousehouse tried to call.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

kkmick wrote: »
    They are a nightmare!! I rang the office 26 times in one day to tell them I had a few days work! And then when I was in there next I got a load of attitude from a little **** behind the counter in a Laois jersey with spiky hair!! I realise they don't have an easy job in there and in fairness some of the staff are very nice but I am sick of being talked down to and treated like being out of work was my fault. I also think that uniforms would be an improvement in there as half the staff obviously have no interest in dressing anyway smartly, they wouldn't get away with dressing like that in the private sector!

also had attitude of this guy when i was in the office

ok folks i dunno what number others was ringing i was ringing 0567715100 i just got a different number and got through after 1 ring its 0567715164 hope this helps

The number they put on their written materials is 056 - 7720350 and that is never, ever answered in any circumstances.

I learned today that if I unplug the landline phone from the wall and ring it with my mobile, I will still get a 'ringing' sound through the mobile even though the landline isn't connected to the wall.

Something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thewiseoldwoman

Well let me throw in my few cents worth guys.I was over in the sw office one afternoon about 3 months ago with a friend and while i was waiting on her the phone rang 7 times.On each ocassion the phone was ignored and i mean ignored.There was two people behind reception,standing talking and laughing.During my time there not one single person came to reception so they had no-one to serve.I was there 23 mins to be exact !
    As for their attitude,yes some of them,and i stress some of them think its ok to speak down to those who through no choice of their own have to go in,but lets remind them that if it wasnt for people who have to depend on benefits of whatever kind they could well be standing in the queue also.

Advertisement