Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

student- Am I entitled to anything?

• 23-09-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a full time research masters student,I was supposed to be finished up this month but I now have to get an extension on my submission date to get everything done. I work part time at the weekends but my hours are now doen to only 10 or 11 hours max. Does anyone know if I'm entitled to anything? I'm over 25 and still living at home. I got the grant to cover college but now with no grant and ony around 10 hours work a week money is seriously tight.

I'm assuming I'm not entitled to anything til I finish college. Is that right?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

(e) Postgraduate (research) students :

Students pursuing a course at Postgraduate level by research only, who do not have fixed lectures or holidays but who work "at their own pace" until the thesis is submitted should have their entitlement examined. Each case should be examined on an individual basis to ensure that the general availability/ GSW conditions are satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

So I there's a chance I could get something? And I've missed out on it for the last 2 years? Sickened. But thabnks for the info,I'll be on to them tomorrow so to find out more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Like the guidelines imply each indivdual case is treated in isolation by a deciding officer so some postgrad students may get JA while others won't. You can always appeal if disallowed and if this fails you could move address and try again in a different dole office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Nolanger wrote: »
    Like the guidelines imply each indivdual case is treated in isolation by a deciding officer so some postgrad students may get JA while others won't. You can always appeal if disallowed and if this fails you could move address and try again in a different dole office.

And the new office will see on the system that there was a previous claim which was disallowed on availability for full time work or whatever, the old claim will be sent to the new office, and if circumstances haven't changed (apart from address), the outcome will be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Nolanger wrote: »

You can apply to another dole office but they'll throw it back to you as they will know by your PPSN where you have previously applied. Did you have PRSI contributions paid by the part-time employer. If so, you may have an automatic entitlement. If you were/are paid cash, then you have to go through the local dole office.Expect to be asked some difficult questions. They will want to know how you are/were supporting yourself etc., etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement