Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tilt-shift photography - Van Gogh

• 23-09-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭

tilt-shift-van-gogh-the-harvest-detail.jpg

tilt-shift-van-gogh-starry-night-over-the-rhone-detail.jpg

vincent-van-gogh-paintings-from-arles-22.jpg

(Credit: Vincent Van Gogh :) presented by artcyclopedia.com )

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/hot/tilt-shift-van-gogh.htm

Seen to be believed: Tilt shift photography gets used to make van gogh's paintings - over a century old - look like modeled landscapes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Well, this is awful. Has the fake "tilt-shift" thing run its course yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Yeah, serious lack of real tilt shift photography... I'm seriously considering buying a lense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering buying a lense

Did you do that to annoy charybdis even more ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Flippin iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tallon wrote: »
    Flippin iPhone

Oh yeah........ :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

or tilt and shift add on for iphone!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

What do you guys see as being next after tilt shift, last year we had hdr so thats been done, before that selective colouring was going on for a while....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

What do you guys see as being next after tilt shift, last year we had hdr so thats been done, before that selective colouring was going on for a while....

10-stop ND filters. News flash, crappy composition is still crappy composition, even with cloud streaks....

-Doug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

DougL wrote: »
    10-stop ND filters. News flash, crappy composition is still crappy composition, even with cloud streaks....

-Doug

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

When people are doing it with their own pictures, why not, but raping classics, that seems a bit weird.
    Matching colour palette is something worth much more time than this.

If I wanted to see a painting in 3D, I would have gone to see a statue in real...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I've got an adapter that I got from some crowd in Russia that lets me put Pentacon-6 mount medium-format lenses on my camera. (Arax Camera http://araxfoto.com/)

There's also a company in Germany who sells in the US and Germany.. but theirs is like $3,500 USD for the "full" system, and is really designed for medium-format cameras. (zoerk http://www.zoerk.com/)

I can't use my shift AND my tilt at the same time is the drawback of mine. I wish someone made one that did both shift and tilt that was reasonably priced.

Pentacon-6 lenses are reasonably priced and readily available at Centrum FotoSkoda (http://www.fotoskoda.cz/?lang=en) used. Lots of good Carl Zeiss glass out there for Pentacon-6 mount. (although going to Prague to visit FotoSkoda is reccomended if you're thinking about buying lenses.. they have a lot more in-stock than on their website. You could always ask them via e-mail.. and you'll want someone with you to translate Czech if you show up!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Ouch.

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh. I've just seen a few things recently that didn't have much going for them other than a long exposure with a 10-stop filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Homeless swans on asian children's backs. In front of long exposure waterfalls. In HDR. I'm tellin yis - watch this space. Next iPhone app that is.

I get to play with a large format camera next week and will be tilt-shifting to beat the band. Taking polaroid test shots of a cabbage. So there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Badly distorted panoramas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Thanks my eyes are bleeding now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

charybdis wrote: »
    Well, this is awful. Has the fake "tilt-shift" thing run its course yet?
    Care to explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

garancafan wrote: »
    Care to explain?

Which part? The part about raping universally acknowledged classic art or the part about the misuse of a technical term to describe a really stupid post-processing technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

The term "tilt-shift" would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tilt+shift

A tilt shift is a lens that allows the front element to be moved parallel to the camera sensor/film (the 'shift' part) and also to be tilted at an angle away from/ parallel up to a few degrees (the 'tilt' part).

Shifting allows the circle of the image to be moved up and down the film plane which has the effect of moving the image up and down. This can be useful in several applications, such as architectural photography where it allows you to cut out the foreground while keeping the film plane parallel to the plane that makes the front of the building, thereby avoiding convergent lines which result from rotating a camera upwards to capture the same scene.

Tilting allows you to change the way the plane of focus intercepts the plane of the film, thereby changing the depth of field. This is useful in cases such as taking a picture of a long table with a wide aperture, the narrow depth of field in this case will cause the end of the table to be out of focus. Tilting the plane of focus so that it travels parallel to the table allows you to render the whole table in focus while keeping your narrow depth of field.

At least that's my understanding.

Tilting a lens to reduce the amount of a scene in focus gives a severely limited depth of field, when such an image is taken from a high point it looks a bit like a photo of a model (like a train set) which, when taken with a normal lens with a low aperture gives a characteristic narrow depth of field.

fake tilt-shift is a term applied to a post processing technique of blurring the bottom and top 3rds (or so) of an image and boosting the saturation, using software such as gimp or photoshop to achieve the 'model' look.

Some people find it tiresome, some people don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

fake tilt-shift is a term applied to a post processing technique of blurring the bottom and top 3rds (or so) of an image and boosting the saturation, using software such as gimp or photoshop to achieve the 'model' look.

Some people find it tiresome, some people don't.

Thanks for the info there. Question though, why would some people find it tiresome? Who cares how an image is created if it looks good? The HDR thing I can understand as some people go way over the top with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bacchus wrote: »
    Thanks for the info there. Question though, why would some people find it tiresome? Who cares how an image is created if it looks good? The HDR thing I can understand as some people go way over the top with it.

I guess some folk don't like it simply because it's fake and perhaps they have just seen a lot of them and have grown bored with the style. Personally I like them when they are well done.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I like'm :o. Made me laugh. Thankfully I haven't seen tilt-shift very much so when I do it still holds a novelty value.

I think Lowry's matchstickmen pics could look funny too.

Personally, I particularly like this effect applied to timelapse videos...

http://vimeo.com/14936696

(Not a great example, there's better out there)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ThOnda wrote: »
    When people are doing it with their own pictures, why not, but raping classics, that seems a bit weird.
    i assumed they were done with tongue firmly in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

this is the first time ive seen this. deadly!

Advertisement