Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of chainsaw chains

Options
  • 23-09-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

have been buying a few chains lately for a 20'' bar,about 25-30e,which i found a bit expensive,a friend of mine who works with the harvesters in the forestry reckon they were buying the much longer chains for them for about 13e,anyone got ideas on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

i paid around 20 eur for one from a lad outside Athlone.
    A chain lasts me about 2 years (i keep it sharpened meself). When ever i get the saw serviced, if it needs one, he throws one on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't know what make of chain goes on the harvester, what make of chain are you buying for 25e?

I use oregon chain and last time a 20" bar was aound 20e, that was two or three years ago.

Had a traveller in here last week trying to sell a chain saw for 100e, it looked a bit like a stihl (same colour) but it had a thompson chain on it. I think he was having a bad week selling saws, lidl were selling one with an oregon chain for 99.99e !

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I bought 2 Carlton chains which are made by oregon (and as good of quality as any oregon chain) delivered from the UK a couple of months back for €22. Local chainsaw dealer sells them for €30 each. He also charges €12 to grind down and sharpen a chain - so I recently bought my own sharpener for €45. Great investment for anyone who does more than a day's sawing per year.

EDIT: I'll try to find the contact and I'll post it up here later

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

can you post up a link to the sharpener you got for 45 eur?

dryan wrote: »
    can you post up a link to the sharpener you got for 45 eur?

I bought it in D & E McHugh in Longford. But there are loads on ebay like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CHAINSAW-CHAIN-SHARPENER-blade-grinder-saw-file-/180506082911?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item2a07003e5f

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

One here as well.

Are they hard to use?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

cork45 wrote: »
    One here as well.

Are they hard to use?

Same one but 15 quid dearer :p

cork45 wrote: »
    One here as well.

Are they hard to use?

Very simple to use. The first chain I did wasn't perfect, but after that I had the hang of it and of the settings. Takes about 6 minutes to sharpen one chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

It takes me about 10 minutes to hand file a chain, not putting it down but I'm afraid I'd burn a chain learning to use it properly. That one comes with a disk for a 3/8 chain, is that for a square or round chisel chain? and can you get other disks for it for a different pitch chains?

O.A.P wrote: »
    It takes me about 10 minutes to hand file a chain, not putting it down but I'm afraid I'd burn a chain learning to use it properly. That one comes with a disk for a 3/8 chain, is that for a square or round chisel chain? and can you get other disks for it for a different pitch chains?

I only put up the one on ebay as an example. I don't know how it operates exactly.

On the sharpener that I have, you can set the sharpening depth which will ensure that you don't burn the chaiin or over do it. On my sharpener, you can also set the pitch of the chain to any pitch and it will sharpen both square and round chisel chains.

I have hand sharpened chains in the past. Its fine, but every so often you have to bring it to get it ground down. With the electric sharpener, you will have a chain that cuts like new every time you sharpen it.

I tested my sharpener on an old chain so it really didn't matter if I made muck of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

You got a good deal on the chain price there Reilig, the last one I bought cost 35 euro about 6 weeks ago. Show me where, pm me if you like when you get a chance.
    Thanks O.A.P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Keep an eye out for when lidl have their chainsaw gear in, they generally have chain sharpeners which are usually around the e30 mark.

That said, your best bet for a long lived chain is to learn how to properly sharpen it by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

the oregon powersharp thingys were sold out at the end of day one at the liffey distributors stand. cant see them getting popular if you have to replace the chain so often .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was told there's a good source of Oregon chains on Ebay, from Tennessee (or however you spell it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

We get all our chains and bars and servicing parts from chains direct in the uk. Good bit cheaper than here. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Chainsdirect

Advertisement