Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Mon - 9 @ 7:46. Feeling ok, knee is improving though I am hesitant to say it. Tbh it's tons better, I just don't want to jinx it.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Hope that knee doesent give u any more grief Paddy... If u dont mind me asking what 10k plan did u use... Im going to give the dreaded shorter stuff another lash........

Sorry for the delay Liamo. It was Daniels 5-15k. Starts off as alternating weeks of 3 and 2 sessions. The next phase is 3 sessions every week and the last phase is back down to 2. It is solid. We didn't get to finish it fully but even still it's a cracker.
    If you don't have the book, PM me and I'll sort you out with some scans.

Tues - 4x 1200, 4x 200

4:26
    4:28
    4:23
    4:25

Quad was feeling seriously stressed on that last 200. Can't remember the rest, think it was 2 mins on the 1200s, 200 jog on the 2s.

Wed - 7 @7:52
    Thurs - 6.1 @7:38
    Fri - 7.3 @7:36
    Recce of the GIR. F*ck all sleep but felt grand, cruising around.

Sat - OFF

Sun - 6.26 in 36:39 GIR/National Road 10k
    Another PB in the bag but this was a slog. Headed in with Tunguska and 1 other fella, nabbed a sneaky parking space and got a look at the women's start. Pity not to see Fionnuala Britton or Ava Hutchinson but there were loads of top class runners in the field.
    Quick warm up and I met the lads from the club at the AAI bit. Saw Bekele, Espana, Landessam etc warming up which is one great thing about this race.

The first 3 miles were great. I felt in good nick and pushed up through 1 or 2 groups instead of hanging back. 5k was sub 18 and I was barely breathing, even after the first uphill. I knew the course and I could honestly see sub-36 on the cards.

S-bends went great, I flaked it down and was passing the odd guy, but jesus the hill after that was the end of me. I knew I had to be aggressive and I went for it but even still my pace was slowing. One guy came back at me here and I shoved on, not letting him draw level. Tried to make up the seconds on the downhill into the Glen and the time was definitely coming back to me. Problem is, you go down there and you have to climb back up. That hurt and I got to 9k in a jock, but what's 1000m, I still figured I'd get that time back. Wrong. My legs would not play ball and I was in a tough place. Gave it everything in the end though and finished on fumes. Some people from the club saw the finish and said I looked like absolute sh!te. Splits tell the tale.

5:46
    5:41
    5:53
    6:00
    6:06
    1:24 for .26

It's a b@stard of a course, no two ways about it. I did enjoy the day, but I am dying to get under 36 mins and this was not the place to do it. K Club beckons...

BTW massive congrats to Tunguska. He won't say it on here but he ran a savage race after a real grind of a training plan to get 32:xx. Unreal time and well-deserved.

Mon - 9.1 @7:35
    Legs felt great!

Tues - 10@ 7:59
    Going to take it pretty easy now for the rest of the week and try to nail this race on Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

cwgatling wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay Liamo. It was Daniels 5-15k. Starts off as alternating weeks of 3 and 2 sessions. The next phase is 3 sessions every week and the last phase is back down to 2. It is solid. We didn't get to finish it fully but even still it's a cracker.
    If you don't have the book, PM me and I'll sort you out with some scans.

Tues - 4x 1200, 4x 200

4:26
    4:28
    4:23
    4:25

Quad was feeling seriously stressed on that last 200. Can't remember the rest, think it was 2 mins on the 1200s, 200 jog on the 2s.

Wed - 7 @7:52
    Thurs - 6.1 @7:38
    Fri - 7.3 @7:36
    Recce of the GIR. F*ck all sleep but felt grand, cruising around.

Sat - OFF

Sun - 6.26 in 36:39 GIR/National Road 10k
    Another PB in the bag but this was a slog. Headed in with Tunguska and 1 other fella, nabbed a sneaky parking space and got a look at the women's start. Pity not to see Fionnuala Britton or Ava Hutchinson but there were loads of top class runners in the field.
    Quick warm up and I met the lads from the club at the AAI bit. Saw Bekele, Espana, Landessam etc warming up which is one great thing about this race.

The first 3 miles were great. I felt in good nick and pushed up through 1 or 2 groups instead of hanging back. 5k was sub 18 and I was barely breathing, even after the first uphill. I knew the course and I could honestly see sub-36 on the cards.

S-bends went great, I flaked it down and was passing the odd guy, but jesus the hill after that was the end of me. I knew I had to be aggressive and I went for it but even still my pace was slowing. One guy came back at me here and I shoved on, not letting him draw level. Tried to make up the seconds on the downhill into the Glen and the time was definitely coming back to me. Problem is, you go down there and you have to climb back up. That hurt and I got to 9k in a jock, but what's 1000m, I still figured I'd get that time back. Wrong. My legs would not play ball and I was in a tough place. Gave it everything in the end though and finished on fumes. Some people from the club saw the finish and said I looked like absolute sh!te. Splits tell the tale.

5:53
    6:00
    6:06
    1:24 for .26

It's a b@stard of a course, no two ways about it. I did enjoy the day, but I am dying to get under 36 mins and this was not the place to do it. K Club beckons...

BTW massive congrats to Tunguska. He won't say it on here but he ran a savage race after a real grind of a training plan to get 32:xx. Unreal time and well-deserved.

Mon - 9.1 @7:35
    Legs felt great!

Tues - 10@ 7:59
    Going to take it pretty easy now for the rest of the week and try to nail this race on Sat.

Great running man keep it up your absolutely flying man more to come this week no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well done dude, I know you were after a 35:xx but still I think in a few days time you'll start to realise how good a performance that was. Man you put in some great sessions and I know you'll nail it on saturday in the k club.
    My only concern about this race is Im not sure we'll get fed afterwards. I mean in the park you'd expect that but Im not sure I can go two races in a row without feeding the beast.

• Advertisement

Great work yourself, you took some serious scalps.

K club? I heard it's all the caviar you can eat after the race... They're handing out 250ml bottles of Moet at 3 and 7k. Honestly though there's meant to be ****loads of food. Proper order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Nice one paddy, well deserved. Those sessions of yours are sick.

I might need a head start on you in Dunshaughlin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

tunguska wrote: »
    Well done dude, I know you were after a 35:xx but still I think in a few days time you'll start to realise how good a performance that was. Man you put in some great sessions and I know you'll nail it on saturday in the k club.
    My only concern about this race is Im not sure we'll get fed afterwards. I mean in the park you'd expect that but Im not sure I can go two races in a row without feeding the beast.

The grub in the k club was savage last year. You'll be well looked after. Easily best bhaa grub I've ever had. One tip, bring a few slices of buttered bread with you. No bread last year and lads were resorting to putting their sausages in hot cross buns. I laughed at first but ended up trying it myself. Trust me bring the bread

The grub in the k club was savage last year. You'll be well looked after. Easily best bhaa grub I've ever had. One tip, bring a few slices of buttered bread with you. No bread last year and lads were resorting to putting their sausages in hot cross buns. I laughed at first but ended up trying it myself. Trust me bring the bread

A sliced pan of st. bernards finest so it is.

A sliced pan of st. bernards finest so it is.

ah you'd have to splash out on the Brennans.

• Advertisement

ah you'd have to splash out on the Brennans.

Might even spring for the marks and spencers stuff. Stroll into the hall after with a sliced pan under the arm, story lads, whos got the butter.
    Just checked the results from last year, 33:04. Savage run. Whats the course like?

Might even spring for the marks and spencers stuff. Stroll into the hall after with a sliced pan under the arm, story lads, whos got the butter.
    Just checked the results from last year, 33:04. Savage run. Whats the course like?

Yeah very fast course. Nice and flat. Paradise compared to GIR course.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Tks for the info Paddy..... Great running again on what's a tough course... Bring on the K Club....

Wed - 3 and 5 easy
    Thurs - 6 and 4 easy
    Fri - OFF
    Sat - 6.19 in 35:4x at K Club 10k

Ahh. Delighted with this. Breezy morning out in Straffan. It's a great course, flat and fast. I was not accepting anything >36 for this, no excuses. Really short warmup and we were straight into it.

The start was a bit cramped and I was still passing plenty of people after 800m. We were out on the road at this stage and heading for the loop that you have to run twice before heading back in to the K club. Felt grand and was pegging back people until about 5k. We were back to the start of the loop here and into a strong breeze. I was on my own but could see 2 groups ahead. I pushed on and caught the first pair of lads, then went for the next fella. None of them came with me and the next pair of runners were about 100m ahead. 6-8k took a good bit of concentration and I really lashed it out when we hit the downhill/tailwind stretch. From 8-9 I was grrrrraadually reeling in 1 guy and caught him with 800 to go. Seriously struggling to maintain the pace now and ran the life out of myself on the last 600m. I couldn't catch the other guy and he finished about 3s ahead of me. 35:40 on the watch but the results in the hall said 35:43. Immaterial really. Met Meno afterwards who had a nightmare with stomach problems, tough day man but there will be more. Another PB in the bag for Tunguska too so well worth the trip.

Finally a 10k has come together for me. I didn't feel super out there, like I did in the National Half or the Dublin Half last year, but the result reflects the training so I'm happy! Wore my club vest in a BHAA race to show everyone what a great lad I am.

Top run, highly-recommended. Great facilities and support. Pretty sick so I only managed 2 doughnuts and a coffee. We accidentally headed to the members' shower area and got the bum's rush from the staff, haha.

Highlight of the day: the black labrador in the Donadea singlet. Man, this dog took off (dragging its owner) and covered the first km in about 3.10. I only caught him at 3k. I heard he finished in sub-40. Gave him a treat afterwards - well done Mr. Dog:cool:.

5:47
    5:48
    5:51
    5:49
    5:48
    5:20 pace for .19

Leixlip 5k is next then it's time to start winding up the mileage for DCM. Looking forward to getting at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Super stuff, you deserved that after the training you've being doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice one, great time !

Thanks a lot lads :)

Sun - 6 @ 7:40. Tired enough. Working crazy hours so pretty tired. 9 easy later, looking forward to it.

Wed - 3 and 5 easy
    Thurs - 6 and 4 easy
    Fri - OFF
    Sat - 6.19 in 35:4x at K Club 10k

Ahh. Delighted with this. Breezy morning out in Straffan. It's a great course, flat and fast. I was not accepting anything >36 for this, no excuses. Really short warmup and we were straight into it.

The start was a bit cramped and I was still passing plenty of people after 800m. We were out on the road at this stage and heading for the loop that you have to run twice before heading back in to the K club. Felt grand and was pegging back people until about 5k. We were back to the start of the loop here and into a strong breeze. I was on my own but could see 2 groups ahead. I pushed on and caught the first pair of lads, then went for the next fella. None of them came with me and the next pair of runners were about 100m ahead. 6-8k took a good bit of concentration and I really lashed it out when we hit the downhill/tailwind stretch. From 8-9 I was grrrrraadually reeling in 1 guy and caught him with 800 to go. Seriously struggling to maintain the pace now and ran the life out of myself on the last 600m. I couldn't catch the other guy and he finished about 3s ahead of me. 35:40 on the watch but the results in the hall said 35:43. Immaterial really. Met Meno afterwards who had a nightmare with stomach problems, tough day man but there will be more. Another PB in the bag for Tunguska too so well worth the trip.

Finally a 10k has come together for me. I didn't feel super out there, like I did in the National Half or the Dublin Half last year, but the result reflects the training so I'm happy! Wore my club vest in a BHAA race to show everyone what a great lad I am.

Top run, highly-recommended. Great facilities and support. Pretty sick so I only managed 2 doughnuts and a coffee. We accidentally headed to the members' shower area and got the bum's rush from the staff, haha.

Highlight of the day: the black labrador in the Donadea singlet. Man, this dog took off (dragging its owner) and covered the first km in about 3.10. I only caught him at 3k. I heard he finished in sub-40. Gave him a treat afterwards - well done Mr. Dog:cool:.

It would've been a PB but like you man the results were a little off from what I had on the watch.
    Great stuff on sunday, you showed a lot of balls to get back up off the floor and go again, but this time you nailed it. Gas picture of you just after the finish line on racepix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Howya! I've just stated following your log, you seem to be making crazy progress well done! What plan (if you have one) are you following? You mention Daniels and The Self-Coached Runner 36 min 10k??

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay DSS. Yes, it was Daniels 5-15k. I only grabbed a few random sessions out of the Self Coached Runner, but that is a great book too. If you don't have the Daniels book and are thinking of doing the plan I can scan the pages for you. It's a belter.

Ok, been out for ages. After that race, I went straight to work a late shift followed by an early shift which in hindsight was stupid. I picked up a cold and ran through it and got myself a chest infection which took 2x 7-day courses of antibiotics to get rid of. I'm still not 100%, but I'm back in the saddle.

Mon 23rd Apr - 10 @ 7:36
    Tues - 9 @ 7:30.

No running for 12 days :(

Mon - 5.7. Lungs sore.
    Tues - 6 @ 7:32
    Wed - 6 @7:42
    Thurs - 4.25 @ 7:35
    Fri - 12.25 @ 7:30

Today was good. I've lost a fair deal of fitness and generally feel like a pudding out there but a few more easy runs should see me right.

Once I'm feeling ok again, I'm going to try to hit >85 mpw twice before Daniels Elite plan. I wish that plan wasn't called 'elite', but what can you do... Anyway, the sessions are foul. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That's a rough dose you got cwgatling, unlucky as things were going very well. I'm in a similar situation myself, picked up a dose in the last few days, think I'll rest until it's completely out of the system. What's the target marathon, Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Sorry for the delay DSS. Yes, it was Daniels 5-15k. I only grabbed a few random sessions out of the Self Coached Runner, but that is a great book too. If you don't have the Daniels book and are thinking of doing the plan I can scan the pages for you. It's a belter.

Cheers for the offer, but I was able to grab the training plans from google books! :)

Best of luck with your elite training!:eek:

pconn062 wrote: »
    That's a rough dose you got cwgatling, unlucky as things were going very well. I'm in a similar situation myself, picked up a dose in the last few days, think I'll rest until it's completely out of the system. What's the target marathon, Dublin?[/QUOTE]

2:35 I said it and its out there.......now go reel that mother****er in.

pconn062 wrote: »
    That's a rough dose you got cwgatling, unlucky as things were going very well. I'm in a similar situation myself, picked up a dose in the last few days, think I'll rest until it's completely out of the system. What's the target marathon, Dublin?

It was a bad one Pconn. Yep, I'd wait it out if I was you. Colds are one thing but when your chest is filled with sh!t, running is off the agenda I reckon.

@tunguska - 2:35 maybe in Dublin 2015 man! I have a time in mind for this one alright, will try out a few of those sessions and hopefully it's not too ambitious. 6 months of graft ahead, bring it on.

Sat - 5 @ 7:40. Easy one at break in work. Cracking weather, more of this please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Good to see you logging again one of the few I read, best of luck with the recovery, you were flying before the illness.

Thanks a million happygoose, good luck with the training for the summer.

Still feeling fairly shagged but anyway:

Sun - 8 @ 7:40 < 50 miles for the week
    Mon - 7.2 @ 7:44
    Tues - 10 @ 7:20 This was really hard.

Not feeling the love these days, but I've got my mileage roughly planned out for the next month or so and a marathon style session this Friday. This week's gonna be >60. Then ~75. Then ~85. Then 125. Ok not the last one, I'll be topping out at about 85. We'll see how it goes. If the wind would f*ck off it might help a bit.

Wed - 9.1 @ 7:42
    Thurs - 7 : 8:11 Real easy run in preparation for Friday
    Fri - 17.8 @ 7:25 including 5 mile tempo @ 6:15.

Bloody hell... haven't done a session like that in a while. The tempo was a slog. 8 out of the last 10 easy miles were a slog. But I did it. I'm assuming this will get easier, but that was a wake up call!

• Advertisement

Wed - 9.1 @ 7:42
    Thurs - 7 : 8:11 Real easy run in preparation for Friday
    Fri - 17.8 @ 7:25 including 5 mile tempo @ 6:15.

Bloody hell... haven't done a session like that in a while. The tempo was a slog. 8 out of the last 10 easy miles were a slog. But I did it. I'm assuming this will get easier, but that was a wake up call!

Great work man.

Advertisement