Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Serious catching up to do here. Finally feeling back to normal.

Sat 19th - 4 recovery
    Sun - 7 @7:43

62 for the week

Mon 21st - 3 AM, 6 PM
    Tues - 9.5 @ 6:45 including 4 mile reps off 400 walk/jog. Did these with Ecoli and Tunguska. When I say 'with', I mean we started at the same time. I was a good 150m behind them at the finish. Felt like muck and you can see that here:

5:38
    5:42
    5:43
    5:56!

Dire.

Wed - 9 @ 8.21. Hobbling around
    Thurs - 4.8 AM, 6.2 PM. This was the first run in weeks where I felt decent. Have been fine since.

Fri - 13 @ 7:22 including 4x 400

77, 77, 79, 76

Sat - 6 @7:30
    Sun - 15 @8:08. Hilly loop of Bohernabreena.

72.5 for the week.

Nearly there...

Mon - 9.2 @ 7:45. Hungover
    Tues - 12.5 @7:37 including pyramid session 4x200, 2x400, 1x800, 2x400, 4x 200

(36,36,36,35)(76,77)(2:37)(77,78)(37,36,35,36)

Wed - 4.25 AM, 6.1 PM
    Thurs - 6 AM, 6 PM
    Fri - 4.5 AM, 6.1 PM
    Sat - 20.8 @ 7:10 including 8 @ MP (6:18). Felt great on the MP, back in the saddle :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good to see you back cwgatling, some great sessions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Some good stuff there, back on form especially with that MP run, is there a sneaky 2:45 attempt in the pipeline??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Some good stuff there, back on form especially with that MP run, is there a sneaky 2:45 attempt in the pipeline??? ;)

It'll be a little better than 2:45..........

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Good stuff Paddy.. Resumed marathon training effortlessly...I c the pressure is mounting for a sub 2.45 attempt.. Nice one ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, f*ck me 2:45 would be a dream. It's a long summer ahead and I'm so far off that kind of fitness now but I'll tear into it. Hopefully the body holds up...

Sun - 10 @ 8:06. Felt ok here, just knocking around local loop.
    85.5 for the week. Highest week to date and should be something similar to peak marathon mileage.

Mon - 6 @ 7:53.

Tues - 15.2 @ 7:17 including 3x 2mile T pace off about 3 mins.

11:39
    11:42
    11:46

Bit of slippage there. Last mile especially. Not too worried, this is kind of a down week.

5k in Raheny and Dunshaughlin 10k both coming up, then it's marathon sessions for 18 weeks.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Tues - 15.2 @ 7:17 including 3x 2mile T pace off about 3 mins.

11:39
    11:42
    11:46

Bit of slippage there. Last mile especially. Not too worried, this is kind of a down week.

5k in Raheny and Dunshaughlin 10k both coming up, then it's marathon sessions for 18 weeks.

How did you get 15.2, did you double up? Good stuff yesterday dude.
    12 x 400s at R-pace next week you'll be glad to hear.
    Just realised, the run there and back.

That was it man, about 2 miles from the house to the track I skimped the day before so had to make it up! Great stuff Sat night - 14:xx this year without a doubt.

Wed - 9.1 @ 7:58
    Thurs - 11.8 @ 7:32 including 6x 1 min hard hills. Playground to the tunnel in Tymon. Avg 55s. Disgusting weather and found these hard!

Fri - 6 @ 7:51. Pouring rain. Unreal.
    Sat - OFF. First one in a month.
    Sun - 10.6 @ 8:03. Hilly loop. Great run.

58.5 for the week. Will hit over 70 this week, 1 session and a 5k race on Sun.

Mon - 9.1 @ 7:40. Handy spin up the waterworks. Lovely day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

That was it man, about 2 miles from the house to the track I skimped the day before so had to make it up! Great stuff Sat night - 14:xx this year without a doubt.

Wed - 9.1 @ 7:58
    Thurs - 11.8 @ 7:32 including 6x 1 min hard hills. Playground to the tunnel in Tymon. Avg 55s. Disgusting weather and found these hard!

Fri - 6 @ 7:51. Pouring rain. Unreal.
    Sat - OFF. First one in a month.
    Sun - 10.6 @ 8:03. Hilly loop. Great run.

58.5 for the week. Will hit over 70 this week, 1 session and a 5k race on Sun.

Mon - 9.1 @ 7:40. Handy spin up the waterworks. Lovely day.

That is really motoring on them hills fair play man its deceptively hard

I think we had the wind at our backs which helped because it was howling! Jeez yeah the last 100m is sick, it gets a lot steeper there. Just checking the log, well done in the steeple man - always wanted to do one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think we had the wind at our backs which helped because it was howling! Jeez yeah the last 100m is sick, it gets a lot steeper there. Just checking the log, well done in the steeple man - always wanted to do one.

Ha you could have gladly taken my place not in a good way fitness wise atm but sure with the likes of you and Eoin keeping me honest should get back before long :D

Tues - 11 @ 7:20 including 4 AM and 12x 400 PM

Couple of 76s, 2 75s, 2 78s and about 5 77s. Did these with Ecoli off 1 min recovery - short! Lashing out of the heavens but a great session.

Wed - 9.9 easy @ 8:02. Soaked to the bone again. Wicked massage in the afternoon - fascial abrasion. It is as sore as it sounds.

Thurs - 10.1 @ 8:00. Nice easy run again. Same again tomorrow, 6 super easy Sat morning, 5k race Sun and 10 easy Sun evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's the target for the 5k cwgatling? Low 17's?

Hey pconn, yeah I'd say I'll end up at 17:20 but I'm looking for sub-17 so will go out hard and try to hold on! Great stuff in the 1500s man, keep it going.

Fri - 9.1 @ 8:08. Tired.
    Sat - 6 easy
    Sun - 14.6 including Raheny Midsummer 5k in 17:34

Bit disappointed with the time but it was a great day. Ran a bit of the course as a warm up, conditions were good. Bit cross-country style in places. I got off to a slow start and drew level with a clubmate around 1k. We moved up through the field and I felt like I was working. So it was a shock to see 5:40 for the first mile. It felt more like a 5:20 :( About the 2nd mile I drew level with Ecoli and caught a couple more runners. 1 fella came back at me and we went together for about 400m. He ended up 1s ahead of me. On the home stretch Ecoli blew past me and I tried to hang on but he was ripping along. Good going off pretty much zero training! Our club won first place, so nice one there.

5:40
    5:45
    5:41
    4:58 for .1

10 easy to cool down. First race back (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) so it was a nice blow out. That sub 17 is in the post though.

Decent week - 69.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Well done yesterday Paddy. The club done well in the race. I take it your not doing the club race in the waterworks 2moro nite :D R u doing Dunshaughlin on sat? Your training is going well. I take it your doing the Dublin marathon this year. My training isn't 2 bad but I still wouldnt b where I was last year in races:rolleyes: I was happy enough with my race yesterday, it was a very twisty course

Nice one Jacqui, yeah the club did great! Didn't do the waterworks race, how'd it go? Yes, Dunshaughlin on Sat. Well keep the racing going and get that mileage up, you'll be flying again in no time!

Mon - 10 @ 7:30
    Tues - 11.5 including 8x 400 off 400 jog. Slower than last time, I guess the race was still in the legs. Mainly 77s, 2 76s and a few 78s.

Wed - AM 8 and PM 3.5 and a few strength exercises. Bloody wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

just catching up on your log here, some real quality sessions you've got in, really liked that pyramid session a couple of weeks ago.

well done on that 5k, you'll be knocking on that sub-17 very soon.

Hiya Paddy, race went well, good turnout from d club although course was a bit shorter than last year. I can't do Dunshaughlin on sat as I'm going 2 Westlife :D. I'm gona do the 5k in Kilcock on 29th June. I'm doe not doing a marathon this year. Gona train 4 the national half marathon & c if I can get a decent time. Anyway gud luck on sat, your going well.

• Advertisement

Thanks TNO, that is a great session alright. 800 in the middle is murder!

@ jacqui - Westlife!? I'll say no more :D Club will do well at the National Half this year I have a feeling. Tempo session and a long run every week, you'll be in great nick for it.

Thurs - 9.1 @ 8:07
    Fri - OFF
    Sat - Dunshaughlin 10k - 35:53

This is a quality race. The course is perfect and the organisation is excellent. I was hoping for sub 36 anyway, maybe a PB, it's hard to say what kind of shape I'm in at the moment. Took it out hard and was in a good group. Went through 5k in 17:50. Hurting nicely here and getting pretty tired.
    The pace slackened on one of the 'hills' and I pushed hard to the top and 3 guys came with me. 1 kept going and the rest of us just ploughed on at about 5:45 pace. It was hard to maintain after the effort but being in a group is great for that.
    With 1k left it was just me and another lad. It was a total ding dong battle to the line. I made a surge at 1k, he came straight back at me. Hit him again at 800m out and he was a bit slower but came back to my shoulder. I saw the 300m sign and just gave it everything to get away from him. Managed to keep the gap until the line.

First race ever where I haven't gotten a PB but I'm really happy with the time and that I was tuned in and aggressive enough. Roll on the 5 miler Sat.

Tunguska, carrying a calf injury, ran 32.35 for 3rd place in a quality field. Well done lad :cool:

5:31
    5:48
    6:00(!)
    5:54 and 5:32 pace for .25

Sun - 14.75 @ 8:04. I headed up to Ticknock from Tallaght for this. Holy sh!t it's steep. Some views though.

61 for the week. These race days are killing my mileage.

Mon - 9.1 @ 7:59. Sore knee, ankle but otherwise A1!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done cwgatling. Good solid result. Think I might have been running in your shadow for the first mile before pushing on before the village of Dunshaughlin. Were you wearing a singlet? Tunguska mentioned that you were running, and he was going to introduce you before the race but you'd wandered away. Next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great running Paddy and to do a long one the following day is impressive... Sometimes its not about PB's its about racing so fair play for holding the other fella off....

Well done on sat Paddy & yes I went 2 Westlife & it was amazing :D I see Eoin had another super run. Yeah I reckon we will have plenty @ the national half. Good luck on sat, I,l be expecting 2 c another pb ( no pressure) :rolleyes:

jacquib wrote: »
    I can't do Dunshaughlin on sat as I'm going 2 Westlife

Thats the single most depressing comment I've read in a long time.
    Sat - Dunshaughlin 10k - 35:53

This is a quality race. The course is perfect and the organisation is excellent. I was hoping for sub 36 anyway, maybe a PB, it's hard to say what kind of shape I'm in at the moment. Took it out hard and was in a good group. Went through 5k in 17:50. Hurting nicely here and getting pretty tired.
    The pace slackened on one of the 'hills' and I pushed hard to the top and 3 guys came with me. 1 kept going and the rest of us just ploughed on at about 5:45 pace. It was hard to maintain after the effort but being in a group is great for that.
    With 1k left it was just me and another lad. It was a total ding dong battle to the line. I made a surge at 1k, he came straight back at me. Hit him again at 800m out and he was a bit slower but came back to my shoulder. I saw the 300m sign and just gave it everything to get away from him. Managed to keep the gap until the line.

First race ever where I haven't gotten a PB but I'm really happy with the time and that I was tuned in and aggressive enough. Roll on the 5 miler Sat.

Tunguska, carrying a calf injury, ran 32.35 for 3rd place in a quality field. Well done lad :cool:

5:48
    6:00(!)
    5:54 and 5:32 pace for .25

Great work man. Good luck tomorrow. I should be ok to race on saturday after all and should be good to go for next weeks sessions.

Cheers Krusty! Great running by you, stayed strong until the end. I don't think I was ahead of you at all (red/yellow singlet). Yep definitely see you at the next one!

Thanks a million Liamo. Haha, shur 15 miles is a warm up for you these days :)

@ tunguska Cheers man. Psyched about this one. Great, 5 miler is on. Saw the course, GIR basically.
    Ahh jaysus that is some photo. Hadn't seen it. F*cking psycho on the loose :(

Tues - 6.2 @ 7:50. Easy run in the morning. Saving the legs for tomorrow. Feeling good. Definitely recovered.

Wed - 10 @ 7:25 or something. Died a death yesterday, just could not get going. Could not even do 5 @ PMP, not sure why.

Pity, I was excited about the first marathon session. Anyway, race Sat, will hit that session up again next week.

Wed - 10 @ 7:25 or something. Died a death yesterday, just could not get going. Could not even do 5 @ PMP, not sure why.

Pity, I was excited about the first marathon session. Anyway, race Sat, will hit that session up again next week.

Absolutley man we'll take it to the cleaners next week. Concentrate on the 5 miler for now. Was looking at the course, gotta go out very hard, make the most of that downhill into the kyber becuase military hill and upperglen road will take a good 30 secs off you.

• Advertisement

Sat 30/6 - Irish Runner 5 mile - 29.16

Hadn't had a great week but was determined to give this a big effort. All started ok, I was in a decent group and recognised a few faces. We slowed at about 1.5 mile so I shoved on and felt good through 2 miles and halfway, where some of that group caught up.

First hill was grand, overtook about 3 people but I was working hard and by 3.5 miles things were tough. The fight had nearly gone out of me before the last hill and I was killing myself just trying not to lose places (which I did about 3 times in total). Meno gave me a shout in the last 400 which woke me up, there was a fella right behind me. Not happy with this race really - shocking splits:

5:39
    5:45
    5:54
    6:11

Embarrassing stuff there. And a paltry 41.7 miles for the week.

Mon 2/7 - AM 4, PM 5
    Tues - 16.5 @ 6:39 including:

6 MP (6:20 pace)
    1 T (6:00)
    5 MP (6:28 pace)
    1 T (6:19)
    1 MP (6:45)

This was a big run for me. Great to get it done. Tunguska was injured so ran my pace all the way around which was deadly. Lashing rain.

Wed - 5 @ 8:00
    Thurs - AM 4.5, PM 6.2
    Fri - 9 @ 7:52

Sat - 11.6 @ 7:02 including 8 miles at adjusted T pace. Should have been 6:23 but this was not a day for running fast: windy, roasting hot and the park was full of little scumbags for that concert. Got her done in 6:35s which was ok by me. Legs pretty shot tbh.

Sun - 9 @ 8:00

70.7 for the week. That's the first week of the plan done. Only 16 to go! Next race is Swords 10k.

Mon - 10 @ 7:50
    Tues - track session this afternoon.

Advertisement