Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are surfers image consious?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I was reading one of the threads further down where someone was slagging off bic and nsp surfboards and it got me thinking about surfing being a sport where you have to look right and own the right gear?

I'm only beginning in the sport and would hate to know that people are sneering and laughing at me because I'm an obvious beginner in a billabong wetsuit and rented foam board.

We all gotta start somewhere dont we?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

if anyone's laughing at you because you don't have the "right" gear, they're kooks, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

If you are image conscious its gonna be a rough couple of years :)

You hit the nail on the head though, we all had to start somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Sounds like many of the threads on the Photograhpy forum. It is not the gear what matters. Do you enjoy doing it? If so, keep on doing it. Of course, learn and try to use the gear you have (available).

But to admit, I am guilty of de-waxing my Bic :eek:50 minutes of hard work, but I cannot recognise that board. And I can see all the dents and dips. Motivation to improve the image was by neighbor's questions if the dark wax could carry germs and dangerous bacteria... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I guess when I pull up to a surfing break, in my battered car. I always check out the sourounding landscape, the waves and my fellow surfers (Especially the Chicks):cool:

Its true we all had to start somewhere. But a brand new NSP surfboard with hardly any wax on the deck, is a dead giveaway:D It just marks you out as a a wannabe pseudo surfer:eek:

Usually these folks drive brand new upmarket cars, and spend far too much time at the office, to go surfing very often:rolleyes:
    "Now I am only guessing" But most of em quit surfing, after their first scary moment. And their equipment ends up in the online classifieds:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I must be getting old, completely don't get this thread

How the hell does owning an NSP improve your image

Bleeding kooks:eek:

Some very good second hand mals on the market, like a 7'4 Glide Harbour Spherical Revolver for sale in Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you go out and buy the lattest kelly slater short board they'll laugh at you cos you can't surf and have "all the gear", you can't win so don't try and play, do your own thing.

But I would ditch the rental and get a good beginners board soon as you can, you're wasting money renting a foam board that you could be spending on your own board.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

I have never come across a group of people that look to label each other as much as surfers do..
    it almost put me off altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I have never come across a group of people that look to label each other as much as surfers do..
    it almost put me off altogether.

Perphaps it is to do with the fact that surfing does not have a structured system of recognition of ability level such as other sports; handicapping in golfing, firsts / seconds / thirds rugby teams, junior As / junior Bs

The problem that many experienced surfers have is that many beginners have this notion that the surf is a 'level playing field' and that beginners can just paddle out into the middle of other surfers and f##k up other people's session. The sooner the kooks learn a little respect and acknowledge the world wide, time honoured surf etiquette the better.

If the concern about some people labelling others re surfing nearly put you off, then maybe it is not for you. Maybe time to move onto to something else where everyone holds hands, pats each other on the back and is bestest friends just because they have the same interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Bic is fine, they just would not be as good as other boards. i think there made out of plastic where the better ones are fiber glass

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The problem that many experienced surfers have is that many beginners have this notion that the surf is a 'level playing field' and that beginners can just paddle out into the middle of other surfers and f##k up other people's session. The sooner the kooks learn a little respect and acknowledge the world wide, time honoured surf etiquette the better.

Yea I think the most important thing anyone should learn before heading out is surf ettiquette, there's nothing worse than people constantly dropping in on you. It's unfair to suggest it's only beginners who do this, I know a fair few good surfer who are absolute pigs in the waves. Recently one of my friends was out on his local break, he's pretty experienced and another guy we both know was there, now this other guy is an absolutely exceptional surfer, but unfortunatley his surfing ability is completely disproportionate to his personality and regard for other surfers of any level. He kept padddling around my mate in the line up and nabbing every bloody wave until it got to the point where my friend had to just drop in on him and tell him to cop on or piss off home. At least with a beginner they don't know any better but someone who's surfed for years and acts like that is the biggest kook of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Nothing annoys me more then people bailing their boards

That and poo stance on a log

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I agree that in all walks of life and hobbies there are people who take it more seriously than others and look down on people who dont have the right gear. Its also true that there are people out there with more money than sense who buy the best gear and cant use it. I'm holding off buying a board for myself until I can actually get up and stay up on the 9'0 foam board every time! I'm managing it maybe 4 out of 5 times so I'm not doing too bad I suppose.
    To save myself looking like a complete beginner I'll get a second hand board thats caked in wax :)

At the end of my first lesson in tramore the instructor told me all about surf ettiquette and what to do/not to do. I must get that leaflet out again and make sure I'm doing it by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

dermo909 wrote: »
    To save myself looking like a complete beginner I'll get a second hand board thats caked in wax :)

Don't ever buy a second hand board covered in wax. It can cover up any dings and cracks the board may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I think Bic surfboards are great:) My first board was a Bic, I have since graduated to polyester/fiberglass ie "proper boards" man. :cool:
    I still use the bic, when my "Oh so cool" fiberglass board is in need of repair.

Bic Surf boards come in two types. The ACS are the plastic beginner type boards. Totally Indistructable:D

The E-comp bic boards, are much more like an epoxy board and ride much better, than the ACS or plastic boards.

So when I paddle out back on my Bic, I get a different vibe from the deadly serious crew.
    When I get out back, on my nice fiberglass board. I don't get the same idiots scowling at me.

In other sports, people are admired for their ability. In surfing the reverse is sadly true.

Some of the best surfers I know ride foamies.

And Im not talking about in the having the most fun sense, all the lads are good surfers anyway, they just ride these as their so much crack in a bit of size/power.

If I see someone in a lidl wetsuit it means they have absolutely no idea what they are doing, image has nothing to do with it, those suits are just that ****. Once you've done some time in the cold, you will understand why you want a suit that works.

From the way a person paddles, sits on their board and generally composes themselves on the water you have an idea if they know what their at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any good experienced surfer should be out back where the beginners can't get to so i really can't under stand the logic off some experience guys. Fair enough on a reef back it's nice and easy to get too but with the beach breaks we get at newbie zones it should not be an issue

I surfed a peak on a beach today and 70% of the people out had no place out there or clue what they were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

i saw a lad out in the water yesterday with board shorts on the outside of his suit... I had to check a few times before I could believe it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

ted1 wrote: »
    Any good experienced surfer should be out back where the beginners can't get to so i really can't under stand the logic off some experience guys. Fair enough on a reef back it's nice and easy to get too but with the beach breaks we get at newbie zones it should not be an issue

Totally agree.
    Anything over 3 feet at a beach break and beginners dont even make it out the back. Its just the experienced getting in the way of the experienced.. I think the moaning about beginners is just fasionable for the experienced lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Talking about image and beginners (among which I would like to proudly promote myself) - what about colour coded headbands? The bald guy last weekend wore one, it might come into fashion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I've posted this before on another thread but I see here people talking/wondering about surf etiquette again so... http://www.surfaroundireland.com/2010/07/surfing-etiquette.html

Just Back from the weekend down at Lahinch, never saw it so busy yesterday, 200 people in the water at certain times I was told!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brr Something

Yeah Lahinch was mental on Saturday. Headed down early Fri and had a great session, so much fun, Sat however was just way too crowded. Busiest I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

dave_brent wrote: »
    i saw a lad out in the water yesterday with board shorts on the outside of his suit... I had to check a few times before I could believe it... :)

That might of been me on a SUP???? My arse is hanging out of my wetsuit from kitesurfing :)

I did take them off when I went out on the longboard tho :)

Note to self: must get the finger out and buy a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

na, it was a dude on a foamy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

What the f**k do experienced surfers expect from beginners?

Do you think they should buy a nice 6'1 performance shortboard when they start surfing or else maybe a 600 euro custom log?

No, they shouldnt. They buy a 'beginners' board like an nsp or a bic. They get their start on these boards and then move onto something else when ready. Surfing is an expensive game at the beginning when you have to buy all your gear and people arent made of money. What do you expect? And anyway, a beginner wouldnt even know what the hell a custom board is, nevermind why you would buy one. Theres a learning curve in any new hobbie/interest/passion that you take up.

I want to know have all these experienced lads started surfing? No doubt they were all born with an extremely high ability and the minute they stepped on a board they were all doing cutbacks and airs. No doubt they started on the bestest coolest boards and never even looked twice at a bic, god forbid. No doubt they never made any mistakes in the water.

I have been surfing for a little over 3 years, so not that long at all really but im not a beginner and yes i started on a pop-out but no longer use one. However i would never be that embarassed to take it out and surf it again because id probably surf better than half the eejits on shortboards struggling to stand up.

Anyway, back to the original point. I think a lot of surfers are completely image conscious. Ive never seen so many posers as i did last weekend and i have to say most of the worst offenders are the 'too cool for school' experienced lads who generally wouldnt give you the time of day.

Totally agree.
    Anything over 3 feet at a beach break and beginners dont even make it out the back. Its just the experienced getting in the way of the experienced.. I think the moaning about beginners is just fasionable for the experienced lads.

i agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Can't stand people who look down their noses at others! You can buy all the fancy gear you want, but that will never make you a good surfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Seems lots of people here have chips on their shoulders or inferiority complexes.

The biggest fallacy here is that most experienced surfers do not look like the stereotypical surfer. They are normal people who go about their normal lives, which happens to have surfing a core. You will not see them at the popular breaks most of the time, Ireland has far too many good breaks for real surfers to be bothered about paddling out to a busy peak and putting up with gobsh1tes.

In my eyes, a lot of people who surf may by image conscious, but surfers generally are not. Remember, there is a huge difference between someone who surfs and a surfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Wow even my dad said that lahinch was mental last weekend. And he was only up there for a wedding!

I play guitar for a living both teaching and gigs and musicians are the complete opposite. If you have the ability, you can play a cheap guitar as much as you like and get the credit you deserve for being a good musician. Sometimes having expensive gear means you get looked down upon.

I've come to the conclusion that if I'm a beginner, I'm gonna buy a beginners board and it'll prob be a bic. Not a used one covered in wax as I said before(good advice) but I'll get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

not sayiing i am super experienced or anything but I could rock up to the beach in me batttered transit wearing a surf hoodie or shirt and tie depending if I have sneaked off from work or from the house etc i like some surf gear like a very warm hoodie I got from gary in outerpoint but other than that I think i look like a normal person not particualrly fashionable,balding etc and the older I get teh less I care what people think of me whether they be surfers or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

I was just a little bemused by some of the unleashed anger and frustration and think some people are a little too sensitive.

A few key points.

A BIC is a beginner board but there are a lot of better and more suitable epoxy boards available for beginners. Making progression a lot easier. I used one a few years back, then gave it to a mate and he progressed way quicker than a few friends on wrong sized over heavy BIC boards. I've surfed BIC boards when they are the only ones available on holidays but just prefer not to if I can!

In all walks of life there are as5holes, so these people that stare down there noses are just something you'll have to put up with! Happens in every scene from the office to the pitch to driving to surfing!

BE HUMBLE AND BE THE BIGGER MAN! You'll live longer without a heart attack!

Also, most important of all taking the above into account for a beginner is learning SURF ETIQUETTE.

If you drop in - apologise. In the line up don't be afraid to call left or right to people.
    I'm pretty chilled but same guy dropped in 3 times on me on Sat in Rossnowlagh and me raging. He was out the back but still crap. I had scene him when I paddled out and new he would cause problems. Didnt apologise once even when i nearly sliced his toes off pulling over the shoulder to miss him. He saw this all happen and never said boo, had my rage on simmer for a while, til i got the next set!

So show respect no matter what level you're at if you're any way decent person, because decent person will except an apology. Just leaves that 10-20% of class A prats to deal with! (only in exceptional cases - when they get agro - should they themselves be humbled with a right cross to the ear)

Have fun and know your limits

Advertisement