Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are surfers image consious?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

Rossnowlagh was a free for all on Saturday to be honest... Reasons being it was easy to get out the back... Usually if the waves are a heavier.. the beginners are inside, but on Saturday everybody was on the same lineup...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Worst thread... Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

If you are image conscious its gonna be a rough couple of years :)

Priceless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

dermo909 wrote: »
    I'm gonna buy a beginners board and it'll prob be a bic.
    DON'T DO IT!!! Spend the extra €100 on a second hand epoxy mini mal, you will outgrow the bic pretty fast. And they hold onto their re-sale value.

This thread has gone on far too long though.
    Fact of the matter is, people can judge you by your appearance all they want, but those judgments are ALWAYS shattered by what you do on your first wave REGARDLESS of your board.

(but anyone in a lidl wetsuit sucks :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

I was reading one of the threads further down where someone was slagging off bic and nsp surfboards and it got me thinking about surfing being a sport where you have to look right and own the right gear?

I'm only beginning in the sport and would hate to know that people are sneering and laughing at me because I'm an obvious beginner in a billabong wetsuit and rented foam board.

We all gotta start somewhere dont we?

No one will laugh at you mate but they may give you less respect in the waves eg drop in on you etc.

Half the people that surf on any given beach are beginners dont worry about people laughing. I learned on Bondi Beach and never got laughed at. Lot of good surfers there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

Fact of the matter is, people can judge you by your appearance all they want, but those judgments are ALWAYS shattered by what you do on your first wave REGARDLESS of your board.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

My friends and I surf, on a variety of boards, we're not very good (well some are ok), because we live on the EAST coast where windsurfing is the best option.
    when we do go surfing out whest it is sometimes noticable, that some people have put in effort to look the part. You usually see them hanging around the beach with their boards for longer than you'll see them in the water.
    its for this reason we refer to them as "STREET SURFERS" because they spend most of their time on dry land while still putting in quite an effort to let people know they're surfers. As if it were some kind of exclusive club. which it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

it is sometimes noticable, that some people have put in effort to look the part. You usually see them hanging around the beach with their boards for longer than you'll see them in the water.
    Haha spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Never got that back home but then again I never went to the big surfing spots where I presume people do look down on others.

I was rocking a foam board that looked desperate but I couldn't have cared at all, I never got in peoples way and respected other surfers as much as possible.
    I learned the basics of surfing on it and I'm after a board here in OZ.
    Just think everyone has to start somewhere and if someone is a decent person they should be encouraged and made aware of what direction they can go after buying basics. People with attitude can stay out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

I'm only beginning in the sport and would hate to know that people are sneering and laughing at me because I'm an obvious beginner in a billabong wetsuit and rented foam board.

We all gotta start somewhere dont we?

Last time i was surfing there was a pile of people out on high end boards that would cost alot. But in the middle was a guy on a foam board that ripped better then any of them...and he looked like he was having the most fun.

So all i say is stick to what you like and enjoy best, everyone starts off a beginner!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JeanOH

a surfer will surf anything that floats, and get in the water in the heart of winter even if they've forgotten booties and hoods...

heart, soul, belief...that's surfing

not equipment...i remember a few years ago seeing a guy rip apart a wave on a busted up foamie...

buy what you can afford, and surf it into the ground ;-):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i wonder what would be the point to reiterate what so many others said already...

... in every sport gear will always make a difference-- but, as so many said before, it is also how you use it

you can run on your flip-flops but proper runners will make a difference... you can use a tesco racket but you know that a wilson will help you perform better...

when it comes to surf, having a proper suit that will keep you warmer (thus allowing you to stay longer in the water) and the best board you can afford for your skill level will help you improve much faster than using gear that is not completely adequate to you

some of the posts are raging over people that have the money and buy all the expensive gear-- my question is: why does it bother you ? jealousy, may i assume...

most of the people with superiority complexes that will see you with beginner's gear don't give a **** about who you are or what you think so my advise is to return in kind... by the time you're surfing the same boards as them you will be happy to know you're a much better person...

.oO(i was thinking why all the necro but i figured already: cheap spam)

Advertisement