Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the fastest you've gone on a flat?

• 23-09-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

As opposed to the other downhill thread.

Were you on your own or in a group?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

you should never cycle on a flat, you'll ruin your rims!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

got up to 280kph on the auto bann 2 years ago. wouldn't say i was in a pack but there were plenty of other cars on the road at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

60.5kmph on the line in a sprint into Kinsale one Saturday morning in July this year.

The sprint point being the 50kmph speed limit sign 600m after you cross the Bandon river road bridge coming into Kinsale on the flat from the western side of town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

How flat is flat, a road may seem flat but could have up to 1% descent which will have a great effect on overall speed. Don't think this is going to be comparable given people's different perceptions of what flat is.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

You're quite right of course Dr Colossus. A -0.5% grade makes a huge difference to speed compared with a perfectly level grade.

My one is genuinely flat for the last km.

It's a classic sprint point, used by many Cork based clubs on training rides. Top speed there is determined by wind direction more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Fastest I ever went on a flat was 35kph as I careered across the road before swan-diving onto the pavement. All this 'cos of a front wheel blowout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Aye, I shudder to think what'd happen if I flatted coming over Sally for example :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Without drafting, I reckon I've been up to about 52-54kph or so on the track

That puts me about 215kph slower than Fred Rompelberg, but he did have the benefit of drafting a dragster:

Fred_zoutvlakte_tijdens_record_achter_auto_klein.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

kenmc wrote: »
    Aye, I shudder to think what'd happen if I flatted coming over Sally for example :(

I reckon she'd get quite angry.

I'll get my coat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just checked.........according to my Garmin, the fastest I've ever gone was 73456.8976 km/hr although it wasn't on the flat - it was while descending from sea-level to -1756m in 10m of horizontal distance!!

in the real world - just over 54km/hr on the coast road from Bettystown to Mornington.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Jawgap wrote: »
    Just checked.........according to my Garmin, the fastest I've ever gone was 73456.8976 km/hr although it wasn't on the flat - it was while descending from sea-level to -1756m in 10m of horizontal distance!!

in the real world - just over 54km/hr on the coast road from Bettystown to Mornington.

Similiar, nice cycle/stretch of road along there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jawgap wrote: »
    Just checked.........according to my Garmin, the fastest I've ever gone was 73456.8976 km/hr although it wasn't on the flat - it was while descending from sea-level to -1756m in 10m of horizontal distance!!.

Yep. Those old abandoned mineshafts are a bugger. Hope Lassie was able to bring help... ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Probably when things are being wound up at the end of a race. But I wouldn't be looking at my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Suppless

Kav0777 wrote: »
    you should never cycle on a flat, you'll ruin your rims!!

:-D

Fastest i ever did on flat was ironically almost exactly the same as downhill. Approx 50mph
    I was drafting something pretty large :)
    But the wind blast when i could no longer keep with it was fairly strong.

Thats nothing though, check out this Fred, :) Literally :)
    http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Suppless wrote: »

Thats nothing though, check out this Fred, :) Literally :)
    http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp

Yep, and check out six posts above yours, while you're at it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Something like 51km/h going along from the Burlington to Donnybrook, but I didn't keep it very long. I've tried to do it with out success every morning since.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

88kmph on the flat on a newly tarred road in france, while making a break from a group! on my cycle comp the gradient was registered as -0.05% there was a slight tail wind but nothing worth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Suppless

Beasty wrote: »
    Yep, and check out six posts above yours, while you're at it;)

If it bothers you, then you can
    Talk to Joe joe@RTE.ie
    JOE+DUFFY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Fastest and still looking at speedo was 65kph. In an open race. Think it was main trim rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 edwardhitler

• Advertisement
Advertisement