Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor upload speed UPC

• 23-09-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

15 meg package with 1.5 upload.I get problems with upload speeds especially
    during peak times,can be as low as .67meg and i never get more than 1.2meg at the best of times.Youtube videos can hesitate for example and the download
    is always between 12 and 14 megs. I rang upc and they say everything is ok their end.Is this normal or am i being too fussy? Direct connection from their modem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 vin.f

huggs2 wrote: »
    15 meg package with 1.5 upload.I get problems with upload speeds especially
    during peak times,can be as low as .67meg and i never get more than 1.2meg at the best of times.Youtube videos can hesitate for example and the download
    is always between 12 and 14 megs. I rang upc and they say everything is ok their end.Is this normal or am i being too fussy? Direct connection from their modem.

Unfortunately, the transfer speeds are completely different.
    You get your full download speed alright but only about a tenth of the upload. I was blown away by this when the customer service agent told me. You're lured in by their fiber broadband offering nice bandwidth but they fail to mention anything about transfer speeds in their adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I am concerned I am only getting half the upload speed i am supposed to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

vin.f wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the transfer speeds are completely different.
    You get your full download speed alright but only about a tenth of the upload. I was blown away by this when the customer service agent told me. You're lured in by their fiber broadband offering nice bandwidth but they fail to mention anything about transfer speeds in their adverts.
    not sure where you're coming from there. the upload speeds are clearly laid out on their web page for everyone to see before they order it.

15mbps down 1.5mbps up or 30mbps down and 3mbps up and it's pretty standard for your upload speed to be a low compared to your download speed as it's what most people want and as such its how the technology has developed in favour of downloads rather than uploads.

OP, if your upload speed is poor then keep complaining to UPC until they do something about it. when they upgraded us from 20mbps to 30mbps my upload speed never went above 1.43mbps and i was losing my phoneline in the early evenings.

i kept on at them to fix it and eventually (after several engineer visits) they upgraded/replaced some piece of hardware on their side and its been fine since.

and your upload speed has nothing to do with youtube stuttering, that's just the way it is at peak times when everyone is watching video's of kittens doing silly things and people having stupid skateboarding accidents etc.

make notes of when you have problems, test several websites to see if its any one in particular, i.e. if you have trouble with youtube then try vimeo or metacafe or something like that as well and see how they are by comparison.

if yo don't want to hang on the phone all the time, then send customer services an email every 3 days asking for support and explaining your situation. everything gets logged and if you keep complaining it will get sorted and you'll probably get a discount. i got 3 months half price broadband when i was having issues so make sure you make yourself heard.

Advertisement