Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone gotten the 500 btea book allowance paid to them yet

Options
  • 23-09-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

just wondering have been approved and have had my 2nd weeks money paid into my account but could do with the book allowance as things are abit tight i have asked social but they are fobbing me off as much as anything.

thanks

neonitrix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Techarch

was just thinkin' the same myself!!!
    I haven't recieved mine so I'm gonna giv em a call in the mornin :)
    I'll let ye kno

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You don't get it immediately.
    It can take up to a month after they receive your college letter confirming you are a full time registered student before it is put through. Depends on how many staff and applications are in your local office.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

who sends them the college letter, i sent them a letter months ago saying i received a college offer and they activated my btea into my account, does the college write to them aswell or do i need to again?

thanks

neonitrix
    snubbleste wrote: »
    You don't get it immediately.
    It can take up to a month after they receive your college letter confirming you are a full time registered student before it is put through. Depends on how many staff and applications are in your local office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My post says when you register in college, not when you have an offer. Your letter is evidence you obtain from Admissons/Registration stating that you are a full-time registered student and then you pass to your local SWO.

Venture to welfare.ie and read the criteria surrounding getting the book allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Could really do with this !!! The amount of stuff we have to get for art college is mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I got my letter a few days ago and I'm going to dropit into social in a couple of hours after college.
    I'll ask a few nagging questions and see if I can find out any details on when/how it's paid etc.
    I'll let ya'll know what they say.

Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gorjess-girlie

Still waiting myself and I handed in my letter confirming I was attending college full time two weeks ago.... So if anyone finds out when we'll be getting it give us a holla!!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

No luck today, there was nobosy around that could answer any of my questions so I have an appointment for Monday.
    It's madness that they cannot even give you a rough time on how long it takes to process but that's life I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

The guy in charge at my social welfare office told me that it will be a few weeks before he gives out the book allowance as in the past a few people used to sign up and apply for the BTEA and then drop out as soon as they got the 500 and he wants to make sure we are going and committed to college before he gives it.

A guy in my course who deals with a different social welfare office told me the exact same thing so it could be late Oct or Nov before we actually get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cavalier1977

Hi
    I am in my second year and granted BTEA
    I have just rung the social welfare office and been told ' they have no directive on the 500 euro from the main office yet ', 'they have not been told it will definitely be paid'
    ?????? now I too have a letter telling me that I would get this and on my last visit to the office I was told that the letter I supplied confirming my course had begun was sufficient for the book allowance also ??????????? the plot thickens.

• Advertisement

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Now I spoke to a fellow student.....................................when she popped in her social office with the query she was told that she would receive her €500 on 1st Oct -I assume this would be the wed / thur in the week following the 1st oct :confused:
    I dont know what to think now??? all I know is I have paid out shed loads for registration, exam fees etc and am broke.. now i've equiptment and books to buy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

I got €196 again today, I guess another week passes without the €500. So another week of having no books or equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

hey sorry for going slightly off topic but i got my first e196 today in my account, but not my rent allowance, i had to go to the post office for it, I thought it would be put in my account?

do i have to go to the local community welfare fella and request that? I would have done this sooner but the lady in the SW office said i didnt need to... but i got the impression that she wasnt quite sure about the whole process. :(

HI
    Your money should have gone into your bank firstly make sure it is actually btea and ensure they have your bank details correct I know someone who thought they were receiving btea but they had remained on job seekers benefit throughout the course and so ran out of allowance when the course ended and they went to sign on... this had been going to the post office and not in their bank account... my advice check and check again , I'm not of course implying that the social are in the habit of making mistakes !!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I got €196 again today, I guess another week passes without the €500. So another week of having no books or equipment.

Don't know if this apples to you, but if you open an account with Ulster Bank they give you a €650 overdraft facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

Got 696 in my post office this morning. No letter, nothing. Was told it was going to my bank account. Receipt shows it as jobseekers and my next sign date as July 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Theres different dates then, i rang my local social welfare office today and was told the 2nd week of October or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Did everyones BTEA go in lastnight ? mine didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

threein99 wrote: »
    Did everyones BTEA go in lastnight ? mine didnt

mine did 396 i got:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

mine did 396 i got:)

Think Iv been cut off :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mine was in my bank account this morning, 500 included. Only left my letter from the college in on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fintan.moloney

Anyone else still waiting on this? I'm on BTEA into my bank account since start of September and still no sign of the €500 ?

still waiting! no €500! will check bank account tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭kukazhina

im waiting to...every day chek account but nothing!!!

@cavalier1977 I know the feeling mate, will be checking my bank account tomorrow also first thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gorjess-girlie

I'm still waiting too even though my money has been going into the bank since 16th September... Fingers crossed it'll go in tonight!!!!

@gorjess-girlie hehe I'm similar, its been going into my bank since 1st week of September and its the usual thing checking the bank each Thursday, haha sometimes at Midnight on Wednesday night :D

Some party tomorrow if it goes in...er I mean some amount of books ! :D

Called my local social office, they said the end of the month, hope it comes in soon really, costing a fortune so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

keep being told by people that it won't be paid until November because of people taking the piss in previous years and dropping out as soon as they got the 500

Still doesnt stop me hoping it will be there tomorrow though lol

• Advertisement

haha yea same here, i totally understand why they would do that, all can do now is keep checking!

Advertisement