Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hanging curtains where there's no support!!!

• 23-09-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Can anyone advise me on what I need to use for fitting curtain pole brackets to a wall where there seems to be very little support behind the plasterboard(I'm not sure if it's foam backed plasterboard). The last one's fell out! I think the concrete is back a good few inches from the painted surface of the plaster work. What could I use that would be strong enough to hold big heavy curtains? The ceiling seems to be the same as the wall, nothing solid. HELP!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Can you not drill into the concrete and then just use longer screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

A looooong drill bit and some long screws is the only way my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

i wud use 5x100mm screws and 7mm plug just bore far enough into the concrete block put the plug on the top of the screw and gently hammer in and screw in slowly. its a great fix if u use the proper bit

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    i wud use 5x100mm screws and 7mm plug just bore far enough into the concrete block put the plug on the top of the screw and gently hammer in and screw in slowly. its a great fix if u use the proper bit

Nice one, i'll give that a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

You could try frame screws -- they come in all sorts of lengths with the wall plug already attached. They are intended to be driven in though timber battens into a wall, so there is no need to drill the wall holes first -- just drill through the batten direct into the wall and then drive in the fixing. See below:

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/
    Frame screws.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

there are plasterboard fixings you can get at atlantic or any decent hardware. you drill a pilot hole in the plasterboard and then screw these fixings into the hole. they thread into the board and your screw is then fixed into the fixing. really handy and easy to use. if your curtains are really heavy, i'd suggest you get a couple of extra brackets to support the weight.

heres a link so you know what to look for. http://www.onlinehardware.ie/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_77&products_id=1634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I had this problem. I cut two pieces of thick chipboard into about the size of a DVD case and nailed them to the wall with huge steel nails. Not the neatest of jobs, but I had made so many holes in the wall trying out various types of screw/rawlplugs etc there was nothing left of the wall. I painted them the same as the wall and the curtains cover them totally anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I had this problem. I cut two pieces of thick chipboard into about the size of a DVD case and nailed them to the wall with huge steel nails. Not the neatest of jobs, but I had made so many holes in the wall trying out various types of screw/rawlplugs etc there was nothing left of the wall. I painted them the same as the wall and the curtains cover them totally anyway.

Now that you mention it, same thing had happened to the house I moved into a while ago. Only solution I had to it was to cut out a lump of plasterboard each side. fill in a base of bonding and then skimmed over the top to have it flush again. works a treat and has a solid base for the curtain again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

drill an eight mill hole 160 mill or deeper,hammer in 8x150 express nail,insert wallplug in express nail,job done

• Registered Users Posts: 25 funsboro

Had same problem and after ages messing round with plasterboard screws, extra long screws etc best job was fix the curtain rail to a length of timber and then go with the extra long ones so the weight would be distributed a bit- anyway it worked- paint up the timber the same colour as the wall and you wont even notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

If your curtains are very heavy I would suggest cutting into the plaster board and fitting some wooden supports then plastering back over.

I did this a couple of years ago and it was a much neater and stronger result, that's only if they are extra heavy curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chico_2002

have you considered a long piece of wood painted the same colour as wall and running parallel to the pole, you can mount the wood to wall in 8 or 10 places and then mount the rail to the wood.

Advertisement