Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

It is terribly fustrating that when you have an issue with something in mental health service and voice it, it often is labelled as an episode or symptomatic of your condition, when it is in fact a normal reaction to an annoying situation!

Margarite, keep after them. It is the height of absurdity that a doc would take offence/issue with a second opinion, it is your perogative as a patient to seek one. You are right to go elsewhere if your doc isn't a good fit for you, as little can be achieved when that's the case, and he/she should know that.

Keep after them and you will get your way in the end. I'm sorry it's such a struggle but remember that mental health issues are like any other illness, a broken leg, etc. Don't let anyone treat you any differently and you will get there in the end. And remember you are very much not alone,and there is always someone you can talk to, it's just a matter of seeking them out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

Eviledna wrote: »
    It is terribly fustrating that when you have an issue with something in mental health service and voice it, it often is labelled as an episode or symptomatic of your condition, when it is in fact a normal reaction to an annoying situation!

Margarite, keep after them. It is the height of absurdity that a doc would take offence/issue with a second opinion, it is your perogative as a patient to seek one. You are right to go elsewhere if your doc isn't a good fit for you, as little can be achieved when that's the case, and he/she should know that.

Keep after them and you will get your way in the end. I'm sorry it's such a struggle but remember that mental health issues are like any other illness, a broken leg, etc. Don't let anyone treat you any differently and you will get there in the end. And remember you are very much not alone,and there is always someone you can talk to, it's just a matter of seeking them out :)
    I feel alone, how did you manage to so much information about depression, and do u mind if I ask you what age group that you are in. It would be nice if we could continue talking through the boards because u r really helping me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It is really not the done thing to request or engage in private messages with other posters relating to a medical complaint they or you have.

I'm not suggesting it is pertinent in this instance but I want to point out that no poster should feel obliged to engage in pm with anyone else and that posters always have the option to pm a moderator or report any pm conversations you feel are getting out of hand or you feel uncomfortable continuing.

It is really not the done thing to request or engage in private messages with other posters relating to a medical complaint they or you have.

I'm not suggesting it is pertinent in this instance but I want to point out that no poster should feel obliged to engage in pm with anyone else and that posters always have the option to pm a moderator or report any pm conversations you feel are getting out of hand or you feel uncomfortable continuing.
    I m sorry I did not think of that, it will not happen again.

Thanks for the heads up mods, want to ensure this conversation is kept above board because I think there are many people in this situation.

All I will say is that I have people in my life that have been through what the OP and margarite have been through. I know first and second hand how bad unmanaged anxiety can be, and I like to maintain a distinction between anxiety and depression.

Just like any industry, it is sometimes just blind luck to end up with a medical professional that helps. Sometimes you can search endlessly and feel like they are all singing to the same tune and them BAM one day you find someone that fits. It is important to keep looking and trying until you find them though, because it is your happiness and quality of life at stake.

I urge anyone suffering from serious uncontrollable anxiety not to take it with a pinch of salt, or just to try to brush it off. It is so often mis-labelled as depression, yet treating it as such does nothing for the root cause and seems to self propegate. It really is a quality of life issue and that's why I feel so strongly about it, I've seem my loved ones go through hell with meds/bad diagnoses until they opened up and were lucky to find the right combination. But I've also seen them loose hope, and almost give up.

I feel there needs to be more of an openness about mental health in Ireland, more of a debate about the quality of services on offer, rating those that are good, and trying to help those in need. But I really understand that boards.ie must be so careful with threads like this. The temptation to reach beyond our bounds when we are in need is strong, but the rules are there to protect us and boards, so thanks mods for keeping the eye on it.:)

Margarite, have you considered a support group? Aware run them across the country and they are reassuring and helpful?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up mods, want to ensure this conversation is kept above board because I think there are many people in this situation.

All I will say is that I have people in my life that have been through what the OP and margarite have been through. I know first and second hand how bad unmanaged anxiety can be, and I like to maintain a distinction between anxiety and depression.

Just like any industry, it is sometimes just blind luck to end up with a medical professional that helps. Sometimes you can search endlessly and feel like they are all singing to the same tune and them BAM one day you find someone that fits. It is important to keep looking and trying until you find them though, because it is your happiness and quality of life at stake.

I urge anyone suffering from serious uncontrollable anxiety not to take it with a pinch of salt, or just to try to brush it off. It is so often mis-labelled as depression, yet treating it as such does nothing for the root cause and seems to self propegate. It really is a quality of life issue and that's why I feel so strongly about it, I've seem my loved ones go through hell with meds/bad diagnoses until they opened up and were lucky to find the right combination. But I've also seen them loose hope, and almost give up.

I feel there needs to be more of an openness about mental health in Ireland, more of a debate about the quality of services on offer, rating those that are good, and trying to help those in need. But I really understand that boards.ie must be so careful with threads like this. The temptation to reach beyond our bounds when we are in need is strong, but the rules are there to protect us and boards, so thanks mods for keeping the eye on it.:)

Margarite, have you considered a support group? Aware run them across the country and they are reassuring and helpful?
    Yes I have attended Aware and came out feeling more depressed then I went in. How have you achieved the knowledge that you have.:)

I wouldn't call it knowledge, it's just personal experience. I don't work in healthcare if that's what you mean.

Is there anything to be said for attending a session out of your normal jurisdiction? Maybe in the next town/city over? A change of scenery and personnel might be worthwhile?

I wouldn't call it knowledge, it's just personal experience. I don't work in healthcare if that's what you mean.

Is there anything to be said for attending a session out of your normal jurisdiction? Maybe in the next town/city over? A change of scenery and personnel might be worthwhile?
    Sometimes all I need is someone to talk to, but that s against The Boards rules. I m not be listened to and was just hoping to find a friend that I can meet now and again, help if required and be there if required. But as usual I am on my own and because of The Board Rules cannot ask for help. Thank you for trying.:)

margarite wrote: »
    Sometimes all I need is someone to talk to, but that s against The Boards rules. I m not be listened to and was just hoping to find a friend that I can meet now and again, help if required and be there if required. But as usual I am on my own and because of The Board Rules cannot ask for help. Thank you for trying.:)
    I do not even know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

margarite wrote: »

You can meet up with and make friends on this website. I met my boyfriend on boards, in this very forum. I've made some really good friends through this site. What makes you think you can't find a friend here? There are beers etc., that you can go to where you can meet people who post in the various forums.

It just kinda seems to me that you're expecting people to be your friend without knowing you... I mean, friendships happen after you get to know someone. You chat, you share things, you realise you have common interests, you know? You don't really just meet a stranger and say, "Hey, wanna be my friend?".

Plus I guess boards is about discussion and friendship kinda just happens after a while. I didn't always have boards friends, I didn't join with the intention of making friends, I just wanted to talk. Then friendship happened naturally. If what you really want is just an easy way to meet people, there are sites specifically for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Guys, there is some very helpful advice being shared in this thread however it's beginning to morph into a PI issue. Can we please get it back on topic or we will have to close/move the thread.

Thanks,

Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Just rooted out this thread, as now that it's exams season I find myself having my weird anxiety thing again!

Anyone else get it like me? It feels like I can't breathe properly, almost as if something is sitting on my chest and I cant take a deep enough breath. It's not bad enough to be deabilitatiing or anything, just an annoyance really!

Usually when it comes on, I don't realise why, I didn't realise I was anxious about something, for example it came on leading up to a party I was throwing, becuase I was nervous about it :o Or when my best friend moved to another county, I got it then.

Anyone have this kinda thing? and how do you deal with it?

I know exactly what you mean perriwinkles, exams were a big trigger of anxiety and even panic attacks for me in college.

The amazing thing is that though you feel your breathing is the problem, breathing itself is the way to conquer that particular symptom of anxiety!

There are many breathing techniques out there, that help you use your diaphragm in helping you to relax. Shallow anxious breathing can sometimes draw in too much oxegen, making your chest feel tight or even becoming lightheaded, even sometimes to the point of passing out. This extreme is usually a panic attack. The passing out is your brain's failsafe, a "reboot" to stop you from taking in too much O2, and letting your CO2/O2 regain balance.This is why you see people breathing into paper bags when they "hyperventilate". It forces the CO2 to be breathed back in.
    It is very much possible to prevent it getting to the stage of a full panic attack, and well done you for recognising the weight on your chest and anxiety and taking the first step. I've taken a quick peek online and here is a basic video on deep breathing to try:

Also, remember that colleges have councellors for a reason, because exams are hard and make people anxious. They serve their purpose and are worth a visit, they are kind and understanding and have seen it before! They can help you recognise the things in your life triggering the anxiety and take preventative measures.
    Just treat it like anything else, like a cold. It's normal, it's understandable and it's your body asking you to pay attention to the stresses around you. Take some time to talk to someone and try the breathing.
    Best of Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Thanks for that post eviledna it was really helpful :)

It's weird this is the first time I've gotten it over exams, usually its trivial things like the friend moving away, or a big event that Im nervous about. Really I should be more worried about the exams :p

From the way I've heard people describe asthma attacks, thats what it feels like for me, a tight chest not taking in enough air etc. Very weird. I've never had a full blown panic attack, I don't think I have anyway!
    I'll take a wee look at that video now, thanks a mill again

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

hi i know this is an old thread but found it interesting about the lyrica as i have just been put on this med recently for my anxiety could i ask how long if you remeber it took for the lyrica to work before your friend noticed any improvement thanks

Hi peejay.
    Please do not bump old threads. You are welcome to start a new thread on the subject of anxiety if you wish bearing in mind that no medical advice will be allowed.
    whoopsadaisydoodles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement