Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant land in Douglas (Between Cinema and McD's)

Options
  • 23-09-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

The Piece of land between Macdonals (Douglas) and CineWorld.

What is up with this piece of land. Is has remained vacant for donkey's years and even survived the Celtic tiger. I can only imagine how much it was worth in the boom years.

Does anyone know why it was never developed? It is so central i can only think of a million uses for it :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Hogzy wrote: »
    The Piece of land between Macdonals (Douglas) and CineWorld.

What is up with this piece of land. Is has remained vacant for donkey's years and even survived the Celtic tiger. I can only imagine how much it was worth in the boom years.

Does anyone know why it was never developed? It is so central i can only think of a million uses for it :rolleyes:

I think I remember cutting across that not so long ago and there was an awful stink, maybe sewage pipes close to the service, guess working around or changing that system mite be a lot of hassle. But ya other than that seems a grand spot for some kind of business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

No idea why it way never developed but would be very curious to find out. Would have been worth a fortune back in the 'old days' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

AFAIK this land is owned by Clayton Love Jr and has been for a very long time. He also owns Douglas Court and The Douglas Shopping Centre.
    Also he owns a lot of the property in between including the land mentioned, and the land the cinema sits on.
    Adjoining those two sites he owns the former TSB Bank (which was used temporarily by BOI while Douglas Shopping Centre was being redeveloped) and that has a fair bit of land behind it.

I think his over all plan was to develop the whole area and build a massive hotel complex and underground carpark but he was turned down for planning. With the arrival of the recession those plans may not even prove profitable if planning was given so I am unsure what will happen now. But it explains why the Douglas Cinema has suffered from a lack of investment in the last few years. The carpark resembles the moons surface!

I dont think he owns the petrol station as he tried to buy it a few years back without success.

That plot of land could continue to lie vacant as the recession continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I think some lads got so involved in the property bubble that they never sold their land hoping that the price would keep climbing. As we know, everything crashed so there is some land around the place that was never developed. I'm not saying this is what happened here but it is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

SeaFields wrote: »
    I think some lads got so involved in the property bubble that they never sold their land hoping that the price would keep climbing. As we know, everything crashed so there is some land around the place that was never developed. I'm not saying this is what happened here but it is a possibility.

No, the poster above is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The_Banker wrote: »
    I think his over all plan was to develop the whole area and build a massive hotel complex and underground carpark but he was turned down for planning.

Its strange he was refused yet the new Douglas shopping centre got the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I heard that the cinema is closing some time this year. That whole tract of Love land seems like an awful waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

I heard that the cinema is closing some time this year. That whole tract of Love land seems like an awful waste.

I've been hearing it's closing down for the last 5 years :)

Mustn't me making much of a profit though, tis dated and it's just as easy to go to MP, not that far from each other. Only plus is the food is cheaper in douglas!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

With Marks & Spencer opening in 8 weeks it'll drive massive foot traffic to Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

center15 wrote: »
    With Marks & Spencer opening in 8 weeks it'll drive massive foot traffic to Douglas.

And car traffic!

The staff at the cinema were told a few months back it was closing, I knew about the rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

There's supposed to be Aldi going in place of the cinema as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

J2D2 wrote: »
    There's supposed to be Aldi going in place of the cinema as far as I know.

Id say it would be lidl rather than aldi. There is an Aldi in Grange and an Aldi in Mahon. Defo no space for another Aldi.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Aw no I'm moving to Douglas next year and was very excited to be within walking distance of a cinema. I don't have a car to get to MP. An Aldi or a Lidl would look ugly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

dory wrote: »
    Aw no I'm moving to Douglas next year and was very excited to be within walking distance of a cinema. I don't have a car to get to MP. An Aldi or a Lidl would look ugly there.

Have you not seen the monstrosity across the road then?

Have you not seen the monstrosity across the road then?

+ 1, it's an unbelievable eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

When I worked in the cinema many many years ago they used to say that the land it's built on was a bog and that the building itself would sink an inch every year for a maximum lifespan of 10 years...
    Obviously it lasted a lot longer than that but maybe that's why nobody bothered to do anything with the place behind it?
    Douglas cinema is such a shame to look at these days. Crippling mismanagement has ruined what was a great amenity in Douglas. :(

Bill-e wrote: »
    When I worked in the cinema many many years ago they used to say that the land it's built on was a bog and that the building itself would sink an inch every year for a maximum lifespan of 10 years...

All of Cork is built on a Marsh, Half of Douglas is built on the worst part of it. Never heard of any over the top subsidence claims though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

When you build on marsh or soft ground you lash down a few piles - no more problem. This would not be a reason not to build on that land.

The cinema going down hill is a shame - as a lot of people have said here. You could walk to McDonalds have a munch, go to the cinema, stroll over for a few pints after and walk home. Mahon point just doesn't have that - plus Douglas cinema had/has hot nuts, Mahon does not!! poor form.

All the Cinema needs is a bit of investment. I would pick douglas any day over mahon if the cinema was as good. Good seating and sound quality is what makes mahon and its the reason everywhere else is failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Apparently today's echo says planning has been granted for a discount retail outlet in the cinema grounds.

• Advertisement

BrianHal wrote: »
    Apparently today's echo says planning has been granted for a discount retail outlet in the cinema grounds.

Oh jesus, i hope to god that isnt true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

BrianHal wrote: »

is that an aldi?

because other than an aldi or lidl i cannot see people taking the hassle of having to drive a certain way to get in there just to go to a discount retail unit? :confused:

hoodwinked wrote: »
    is that an aldi?

because other than an aldi or lidl i cannot see people taking the hassle of having to drive a certain way to get in there just to go to a discount retail unit? :confused:

It could be a Dealz store. Douglas is just going to turn into a giant supermarket. I wish they would just improve the cinema and make it a real contender to Mahon Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

So are they going to actually knock the cinema then? I had only heard in the last few days that it had been done up a bit or got some new screens; thought they had finally given up on some retail madness and decided to give the cinema a proper go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

No, not knock it, modify and change the entrance. The City Council initially approved but the permission was appealed to Bord Pleanala. Theyve now agreed to let it go ahead. Luckily, the existing entrance/exit will become entrance only with the main entrance being on the East Village Road. Yikes!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/239706.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

JohnK wrote: »
    So are they going to actually knock the cinema then? I had only heard in the last few days that it had been done up a bit or got some new screens; thought they had finally given up on some retail madness and decided to give the cinema a proper go again.

As previously posted development of retail units has been approved.

According to Thursday's EEcho:
    An Bord Pleanala has given permission to the owners of the Douglas cinema to redevelop it as a discount retail outlet (1 large & 3 smaller units). There are conditions attached and one of them is the closure of the relief road entrance (by Topaz), which the applicants are appealing. The application includes a new entrance from East Village side.

Golfer50 wrote: »
    No, not knock it, modify and change the entrance. The City Council initially approved but the permission was appealed to Bord Pleanala. Theyve now agreed to let it go ahead. Luckily, the existing entrance/exit will become entrance only with the main entrance being on the East Village Road. Yikes!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/239706.htm

Seems its the McDonalds road near the East Village pub is going to be the main entrance/exit. Douglas Ct roundabout is gonna get busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Feck, having the entrance there would be complete pain in the arse. Theres enough traffic as it is with the queues for McDonald's and all the taxi's by the east village itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Golfer50 wrote: »

Note: This is Cork County Council territory - not city council

The county council is also planning to install traffic lights at the Douglas Court\ McD roundabout during 2013. It's in the development plan but I don't have a link to hand.

• Advertisement

On the subject to town development plans... any chance they have plans to make the Barry's to Topaz stretch of road (by KCs) a pedestrian only area and then make the rest of Douglas village one way. E.g. traffic flow from Douglas Court past Cinema past Topaz and across to the back Douglas Rd by the multistorey car park, to JohnOs, across to Barry's, up to the Fingerpost and down to Douglas Ct.

Just a suggestion, but a large one way system would remove the gridlock from Douglas village as you would never have cars trying to oppose each other at junctions.

Advertisement