Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant land in Douglas (Between Cinema and McD's)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Note: This is Cork County Council territory - not city council

The county council is also planning to install traffic lights at the Douglas Court\ McD roundabout during 2013. It's in the development plan but I don't have a link to hand.

they are traffic lighting that whole side of douglas, other than two hours a day/Christmas that side is grand leave it be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Someone sure did a good job of selling traffic lights to Cork...

I am happy enough to see that area developed into something rather than left as wasteland. I worked in CinemaWorld a couple of evenings a week back when I was in school, but I don't think it had any investment since. The screens, the smell, everything was pretty old in there.

Same it is a discount store, but maybe it will be a lidl, I like their fresh bakery section and the nearest one is togher I think? Blackrock has an aldi already nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

hoodwinked wrote: »
    they are traffic lighting that whole side of douglas, other than two hours a day/Christmas that side is grand leave it be!

Apparently traffic lights are more pedestrian friendly than roundabouts. Hence the big push to remove all of Cork's roundabouts. It does make sense I suppose, crossing the entrance to Douglas Court or crossing any of the pedestrian crossings just at the exits of the roundabout can be a gamble as divers are often not paying enough attention exiting the roundabout.
    No doubt it will make traffic heavier for motorists.

BrianHal wrote: »
    On the subject to town development plans... any chance they have plans to make the Barry's to Topaz stretch of road (by KCs) a pedestrian only area ....

The idea of pedestrianising the village would be nice, at the minute it is overrun with bad parking on footpaths, bus stops & the junction. However you'd see major objections from Topaz & possibly other businesses.
    ....and then make the rest of Douglas village one way. E.g. traffic flow from Douglas Court past Cinema past Topaz and across to the back Douglas Rd by the multistorey car park, to JohnOs, across to Barry's, up to the Fingerpost and down to Douglas Ct.

Just a suggestion, but a large one way system would remove the gridlock from Douglas village as you would never have cars trying to oppose each other at junctions.

City & county councils are reluctant to make any streets one way. He two main reasons are complaints from residents & businesses about reduced access to their premises. The other bigger reason is that traffic on one way streets tends to move much faster, this is of corse an increase in the source of danger to pedestrians. New traffic development plans are very pedestrian centric.

In fact they are reversing some of the decisions made years ago in relation to one way streets, Mc Curtain Street will be returning to a two-way system quite soon. I think there may be others too, the whole traffic system in the city centre is getting a radical overhaul, I read that St Patricks St will have restricted traffic (buses & taxis only) in certain parts at certain times of the day. The new huge LED signs were put in place as part of that plan from what I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Will the Lower Glanmire Road be two-way aswell or is it just MacCurtain Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

No more ****ing traffic lights.

THey are after completely ****ing up the junction at the Silver Quay pub in Blackrock by removing the roundabout. Douglas will come to a complete standstill.

Its absolute and utter madness.

Cork City council are also planning on removing the Wilton Roundabout. It's absolutely mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I actually think traffic lights might work pretty well in Douglas. The mix of roundabouts and traffic lights can cause tail backs between Tesco and Douglas court. Traffic lights would help this of the priority was correct and keep it all moving better. Spread out the waiting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Ludo wrote: »
    I actually think traffic lights might work pretty well in Douglas. The mix of roundabouts and traffic lights can cause tail backs between Tesco and Douglas court. Traffic lights would help this of the priority was correct and keep it all moving better. Spread out the waiting etc.

And also if people didn't drive onto the junction that is governed by traffic lights unless the junction exit is free to get to... I don't want to start an argument though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

hoodwinked wrote: »
    is that an aldi?

because other than an aldi or lidl i cannot see people taking the hassle of having to drive a certain way to get in there just to go to a discount retail unit? :confused:

Maybe an Iceland? There's been a few of those springing up around the country lately. I'd doubt it's an Aldi because the one in Grange is fairly close but could be a Lidl, think the nearest one is in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Maybe an Iceland? There's been a few of those springing up around the country lately. I'd doubt it's an Aldi because the one in Grange is fairly close but could be a Lidl, think the nearest one is in Carrigaline.

Lidl or Dealz would be my bet. Aldi is in Grange, Turners Cross and Mahon. The nearest Lidl is Carrigaline or Togher.

You could be right with Iceland though, they announced a while back that they were opening a number of shops in Ireland. Are they a 'discount' retailer though?

Advertisement