Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late 80's Fender American Standard Strat

• 23-09-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance .....this turned out to be a long one.

So here is a little story that has peaked my interest this week.

I bought a Fender American Standard Strat back in late 87/early 88 from a Guitar Center (very high volume shop) outside of Chicago. I never really spent enough time trying to learn how to play it properly, but that is a story for another day ....

I recently moved the family back to Chicago, and decided that it was time to get out my old strat and take some lessons. I dug up the strat which was still stored in the case. I did a little research of the shops in the area that would do setups/repairs/lessons etc and came across a very reputable dealer that was close to the house. I called the shop and told them I wanted to get this old beauty set-up and talk to someone about lessons.

I landed in on Tuesday evening to meet the gentleman running the shop. I introduced myself and he asked to see the guitar. I brought out my strat (blonde with a rosewood fingerboard). He immediately took a liking to the guitar. He commented on 'how much life was left in the frets' and really looked like someone that knew/loved guitars.

He looked looked down the neck and ran his fingers over all of the fretsm and then sat puzzled for a moment as he looked up at the serial number on the headstock.

'What year did you say this was?' he asked. I told him that this was an American Standard from late 87/early 88.

He looked at the body and agreed that it was an American Standard body, but then informed me that the neck was from a 1984. He then showed me a small gap at where the neck attached to the body to show that there was a slight difference.

We were both intrigued.

I told him the my story and how I wanted it set-up and interested in taking lessons. (They actually have over 800 people taking lessons in two locations). He said that the guitar would be ready the next day and that we would do a little research and we would talk the next day.

He called my mobile the next day (Wednesday) and we spoke for about 10 minutes on the phone. He said that indeed the neck was off of a 1984. He also explained (that I am sure many of you know) that there is a stamp where the neck and body meet that has a date the guitar was assembled but it couldn't be seen without removing the neck.

He mentioned that there was a slight bow in the neck where it meets the body that might cause some buzzing depending on how hard I picked, that would probably have to be taken care down the road. Well the idea of trying to dig up a little more information on the guitar was almost two much to bare. I told him that I would be in later in the day and that we would talk then.

Landed in after work and had a pleasant talk with him and another guitar tech. I agreed to have the work done (it will cost around $100 US which I found to be reasonable). I should have the guitar back this coming Monday.

So here is why I am intrigued. Fender went through a few different phases in the mid to late 80s. Management had change, then ownership changed as well as the locations changed (in California where the guitars were built)

If the neck is from a 1984 as they said, then it was(most likely) built at the Fullerton factory which closed at the end of that year.

The body and hardware are all pointing to being what they are supposed to be, an 87/88 American Standard. These would have been made at the Corona factory.

So now my quandary. Was the neck floating around for a few years ? Between two factories ? Was the neck damaged at some point and the neck replaced before it was sold ?

Neither one of the above really worry me or bother me, it is more out of curiosity.

I am really interested in seeing what the stamp at the neck joint is going to reveal when I get it back next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

could've been a previous owner changed the neck just cos they prefered the feel of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Parsley wrote: »
    could've been a previous owner changed the neck just cos they prefered the feel of it.

That's the curious part of this. I purchased it new. The American Standard had just recently been released by Fender in 87/88.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jimmy99

That's the curious part of this. I purchased it new. The American Standard had just recently been released by Fender in 87/88.
    Nearly all fender strats from 1988 have an e4 serial number which was ment to be used on 84 strats.Yours is one of the new fender strat standards from 1988.It was just fender using up old decals.

jimmy99 wrote: »
    Nearly all fender strats from 1988 have an e4 serial number which was ment to be used on 84 strats.Yours is one of the new fender strat standards from 1988.It was just fender using up old decals.

Now there's some new information. Very interesting !! Thanks Jimmy.

I know that there are websites that will tell you where/when guitars were made by entering the serial number. I will give that a look as soon as I get my hands back on the guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jimmy99

Serial # Year Serial # Year 76 + 5 DIGITS
    S6 + 5 DIGITS
    1976 E8 + 5 DIGITS
    E9 + 5 DIGITS
    1989 S7 + 5 DIGITS
    S8 + 5 DIGITS
    1977 E9 + 5 DIGITS
    N9 + 5 DIGITS
    N0 + 5 DIGITS
    1990 S7 + 5 DIGITS
    S8 + 5 DIGITS
    S9 + 5 DIGITS
    1978 E9 + 5 DIGITS
    N9 + 5 DIGITS
    N0 + 5 DIGITS
    1991 S9 + 5 DIGITS
    E0 + 5 DIGITS
    1979 N1 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    N2 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1992 S9 + 5 DIGITS
    E0 + 5 DIGITS
    E1 + 5 DIGITS
    1980 N2 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    N3 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1993 S9 + 5 DIGITS
    E0 + 5 DIGITS
    E1 + 5 DIGITS
    1981 N3 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    N4 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1994 EI + 5 DIGITS
    E2 + 5 DIGITS
    E3 + 5 DIGITS
    (In 1982 a seperate "V" series of #s were designated for the US Vintage series)
    N4 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    N5 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1995 E2 + 5 DIGITS
    E3 + 5 DIGITS
    1983 N5 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    N6 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1996 E3 + 5 DIGITS
    E4 + 5 DIGITS
    1984 N6 + 6 or 6 DIGITS
    N7 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1997 E3 + 5 DIGITS
    E4 + 5 DIGITS
    1985*
    (Fender sold by CBS)
    N7 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    N8 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1998 E4 + 5 DIGITS 1986-1987 N8 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    N9 + 5 or 6 DIGITS
    1999 E4 + 5 DIGITS
    E8 + 5 DIGITS
    1988 . .

• Advertisement

One final note to this thread.

I got my guitar back and it looks and feels great. I put the serial number into a 'generator' hoping to see if it could clarify exactly where and when the neck/guitar were built.

Guitar Info
    Your guitar was made at the
    Fullerton or Corona Plant (Fender), USA
    in the Year(s): 1984 - 1988

It didn't do anything, except make me laugh out loud at the generality of the response.

As Jimmy99 said earlier, it is an '88 American Standard with an E4 serial number.

Thanks for the help !!

Advertisement