Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muckross UCD Accom

Options
  • 23-09-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, i got offered a place in this accommodation and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of it.
    I am a post grad student in smurfit and basically just wanted to know ppls opinions of the place, whether its mostly undergrads or postgrads and if its close to the blackrock campus.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It was a convent afaik and you cant fit a desk in the rooms. So, a bit shít?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade who lives there but...eh it's kinda crap from what I've heard. I know a few girls who lived (past tense is important ;) ) there (its all female by the way) and they said the food is poor, the rooms are too small to fit desks in, there's one TV room with 4 channels for everyone who lives there, its in a convent, they couldn't bring boyfriends back for the night and even having friends in for a few hours was a bit of hassle. Granted that was 2 years ago so it might have changed significantly since then??

It's also not that convient for Smurfit, the Blackrock accomadation would be much better if it's an option ?? It's about a 15-30 minute bus journey to the top of Mount Merrion Avenue from Donnybrook depending on traffic and then it's about a 15 minute walk to Smurfit. On the whole it's not the best place to stay from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

My mum stayed there in the 70's whilst she was in UCD, and as far as I know, there havnt been any renovations to the place since! STAY AWAY!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A friend stayed there about 7 years ago, but it was still definitely a convent back then. She'd to be back by 3 am I think, I remember having to get my dad to give her a lift home from town one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

With such a surplus of properties in Dublin now why would anyone want to live in a place like this? It sounds terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I lived there for a year. never again! it's shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 10 n5ryan5

i live there right now and i have to say i love it. its located on marlborough road in donnybrook. its a 12 minute cycle via sandford road (through clonskeagh) which is the same walking time roughly from roebuck to the health science building. definitely get a bike as buses are inconsistent and expensive.

you live with roughly 50 people. most are first years who didnt get campus accomadation, with overseas students, some mature students, the odd 2nd 3rd or 4th year and the RAs (residential assistants). the RAs here are easy going and helpful. they act as if they are just trying to keep the place going because its their palce too. you can come back at whatever time you want and there is no problem with bringing back friends and boy/girlfriends. i dont know what previous comments are on about.

the food is inconsistent but when you come back from hours of labs or a hard training session its class to have a hot meal cooked for you. you can get a friend to save you dinner. the chef puts it into the fridge for you with your name on it. the fridge is in the coffee dock where there is a toaster, 2 microwaves, sink and boiling water dispenser.

its so easy to make firends because you are in close contact with everyone whereasa on campus it might be 7-8 a day. the common room is big with lots of seats. the tv has chorus so there are loads of channels. except sky sports....... pre drinking in the common room is great fun as everyone joins in and enjoy the the banter. but instead of staying in your room being an anti social, you should get to know people! there is a downstairs common room that we call the fifa room coz we play the xbox ( you have to bring your own!).

the rooms are a little bit smaller than campus but they are not as bad as other comments say. obviously they arent as sleek as campus but whats the alternaitive? digs on your own? its a little smaller but not too bad. there are big desks in the rooms anyway. good to store books on as there are 2 shelves above it.the walls are pretty thin but not too bad.

big improvements have been made lately so all comments arent really up to date. its a great palce to make friends as i said. studying isnt too bad. if you're studying after 9 or so when people are going out and when everyone is back, of course there will be noise. itss class!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jojogaya

Hey, I just got an offer for Muckross, considering what has been said earlier, I don't really know what to believe. Can someone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Setthebar92

Jojogaya wrote: »
    Hey, I just got an offer for Muckross, considering what has been said earlier, I don't really know what to believe. Can someone help?

I just read this, and want to set the record straight for UCD Muckross Halls. I lived here for the this year, and really enjoyed my time there. I would dispel all previous comments made pre 2010, as UCD did not have a lease on it, as far as I know.

Rooms are comfortable, with sufficient space for the single bed, large desk, desk chair, armchair, and lamp. There is also a sink in the room, which does come in handy. There are shelves and a wardrobe, could do with more, but I didn't hear many complaining to this regard though. The rooms are always warm, as the heating is great. The rooms are similar in size to Merville or Belgrove, some bigger. The rooms are bright and airy with large windows. Bathrooms and showers are communal, with four showers and toilets per floor. I've never been left waiting to use one. Again plenty hot water for showers.

Running through the common spaces, on the ground floor you have a TV Room, with nice leather couches and a HDTV with a connection to UPC, enough channels to get you through the year. There is also a piano, if you’re so inclined. On the first floor, there is a laundry facility, a study room for when you're sick of your room during exams, and another large common room, equipped with about fifteen couches, HDTV with UPC, free Pool Table, Dart Board and enough room for a great party.

The Dining Hall is where you get all your meals, breakfast and dinner. Of course you’re going to get a few bad dinners in your nine month stay, but that's life. The food is generally good, portions are plentiful, courses can repeat themselves, but it might be better than the standard beans on toast you'd make if on your own everyday. A coffee dock is also on the ground floor, with an unlimited supply of tea/coffee, always boiling water, microwaves, sandwich toasters, fridge, etc etc. Enough to give you a quick meal. The coffee dock also has a small TV and serves as a great place to just hang out and talk. In addition on each floor there is a small kitchenette (Fridge, Microwave, Kettle, Sink) to make other small quick meals.

All common areas, showers, bathrooms are cleaned daily. So there is no concern in that respect. Of course areas get messy with fifty odd people using a space everyday. Muckross is generally made up of a majority of first years and international students, with a mix of males and females, however there are the odd second, third, fourth, masters, mature students hanging about. Everyone seems to gel really well in Muckross, of course you'll have a few odd characters, but in the main, we all socialized together, went out together and had an absolute laugh together. If you don't know anyone going to UCD, you will get to know forty people very well in Muckross over the year.

Residential Assistants also live with you! They were really sound to us this year, as I have friends on main campus, who couldn't move but be reported for something by one. The RAs in Muckross really don't give a crap, once you don't piss them off. They'll let you drink, get drunk, make noise and not report you, a lot of times they'll even join in on the fun with you. If you get locked out they'll let you in without fining you. So they really just turn a blind eye to most things, avoid unnecessary work for themselves and do just about enough so their superiors in main campus don’t interfere. In most instances they make Muckross a better place to live, making sure some order is kept.

Honest opinion, it’s not the Four Seasons every applicant to UCD Residences for some reason is expecting. The building is old and your neighbours are nuns! What you will find is, Muckross is warm, homely and you’ll always meet a friendly face you know. You’ll get a better experience of living in Dublin City than in the Belfield bubble, you’re ten minutes from town, a short cycle to UCD, there is always someone doing something in Muckross. Welcome to the bestest largest family, who eat together, sleep together, watch DVDs together, go out together, laugh and cry together, and more importantly have fun in the first year of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jojogaya

Thank you so, so much. I was really worried about everything but your comment completely reassured me! I hope this year everyone will be as friendly as last year then! Again thank you so much for helping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I second everything setthebar92 said- I had a wonderful time in Muckross and would highly recommend it to anyone

Advertisement