Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Dundrum Shopping Centre?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 7:23pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My friend and I walked to Dundrum Shopping Centre the other evening, from UCD. It took us over 20 minutes to get there, and the same back. I probably didn't go the absolute quickest way but it was longer than I expected.

Is there a bus linking UCD and Dundrum? I think the 17 does, but I'm not sure.

If so, where in Dundrum does it leave you? Is it reliable? What is the fare for an Adult Single to Dundrum, from UCD Belfield?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Yeah its the number 17 and no its not terribly reliable but its not as bad as some people make out either. It drops you at the bridge in Dundrum so when you get off you have to walk for about 5/10 minutes to find the shopping centre but its dead handy.

Another option would be a bus to say sandyford and luas to dundrum.

What way did you walk to it? The most direct way if I was driving would be out the Owenstown Gate entrance and turn right, then straight up that hill and you will eventually come out at The Goat pub in Goatstown. Straight through the traffic lights here and just up the road to the next set of lights I would turn left (although you can also go straight and at the bridge in dundrum turn left) then right at top of the hill and then right at next sit of lights and you come down to the shopping centre at Hamleys toy shop side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thank you that's very helpful!

Yes the above route is the way we walked! It just looked shorter by map, but I suppose 20 minutes isn't too bad!

Do you, or does anybody, happen to know the fare, by any chance? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Thank you that's very helpful!

Yes the above route is the way we walked! It just looked shorter by map, but I suppose 20 minutes isn't too bad!

Do you, or does anybody, happen to know the fare, by any chance? Thanks

I actually think it would take me longer to walk so sounds like your a good walker so its not too bad i guess lol

I dont know the fare but im guessing its maybe 1.60? The bus driver will tell u easily though so dont worry ... if its not 1.60 it will only be 1.80 definitely no more than that. Could be less than 1.60 at the same time though sorry im not more help :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thank you! I said 20 but it might have been 25 or even 30, I wasn't really timing myself per se. It's a hilly enough route though (or just one big long gradual hill from the Ownestown Entrance up past Mount Anville)!

Thanks for the advice. The 17 bus is handy anyway as it leaves from inside UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The way I would go is out the Wynnsward Drive exit (Clonskeagh Road) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4061490

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I need to head out there some day....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another way is to walk up past the Quinn building, past the Merville residence to Foster avenue, then up Mount Anville Rd. to Goatstown. It's a little shorter if you're going from the Library area, but it means going up and down two separate hills.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4062901

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

The way I would go is out the Wynnsward Drive exit (Clonskeagh Road) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4061490 [/URL]
    I was gonna suggest this, then I saw your post so I'll second it. This has to be the quickest way of getting to Dundrum from UCD.
    Are you in the budget to purchase yourself a second hand bike, Timbuk2? I saw some really cheap ones on Adverts. I wouldn't imagine the UCD bike shop being very decent on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BuzzFledderjohn

Thank you! I said 20 but it might have been 25 or even 30, I wasn't really timing myself per se. It's a hilly enough route though (or just one big long gradual hill from the Ownestown Entrance up past Mount Anville)!

Thanks for the advice. The 17 bus is handy anyway as it leaves from inside UCD!

Yeah, the hill can be a killer if you're tired heading off, but it's still the quickest way out.
    The way I would go is out the Wynnsward Drive exit (Clonskeagh Road) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4061490

I used to do this myself, but even going from science I don't think it's quicker. That said, you avoid the hills of Foster avenue/ Mount Anville, so if you're ever cycling it id say it's a nicer route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I do this walk quite a bit. Go out the exit behind the Law castle (not onto Foster Avenue), turn left, then right up Mount Anville hill. Best way if going from Arts/Library out. By the time you wait for the bus, the bus gets to the closest stop, and you walk from there to the centre, its much longer than just walking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It's just under a 25 minute walk to the shopping centre

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers!

I should have mentioned, I'm staying at Roebuck so the Mount Anville/Goatstown Route is more feasible than the Clonskeagh route, but it's still good to know that I could do that!

Thanks again for the help!

Advertisement