Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Autumn 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Those thundery showers that MT spoke of in his forecast are now making their way in over western Mayo and Galway, with some lightning strikes around Belmullet over the last hour or so.

With warm air advection at low levels and coldest upper temperatures off the northwest coast, these showers should continue giving heavy rain and lightning well after dark.

sf_na_1d.gif?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Just had heavy shower with hail in Galway defiantly feels like thunder on the way I knew it even b4 I saw the forecast:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Just had heavy shower with hail in Galway defiantly feels like thunder on the way I knew it even b4 I saw the forecast:pac:

Got hit by that same shower while driving through Claregalway but was nothing special. Shower looked more impressive coming in and moving out than it actually was overhead.

Is there something wrong with met eireann radar as it shows Galway in a dry slot about now and we just got another shower:confused:

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with met eireann radar as it shows Galway in a dry slot about now and we just got another shower:confused:

This radar updates quicker

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

shows a shower over Galway.

• Advertisement

Ya I saw the shower coming in the distance it just looked a lot bigger than what was shown on radar:mad:
    Thanks 4 the link D.E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Was walking the dogs on the beach near Strandhill around 18:00 when I saw this approaching. Needless to say we rushed back to the car :)

IMAG0083.jpg

Some very intense bursts of rain moving through at the moment with hail. Sporadic enough though at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Latest radar looks to have some pretty nasty looking rain heading our way wonder if its active ???

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Latest radar looks to have some pretty nasty looking rain heading our way wonder if its active ???

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Am watching that Storm 10, seems to be losing intensity a bit as it moves into the bay but who knows, it may pep up again as it comes onshore.

Strike off the coast of Mayo in the last half hour. :)

http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

• Advertisement

Surprising given the radar colors that we are not seeing more action from these showers, we had a very big one around 7.30 pm it was so dark and evil looking yet nothing from it just torrential rain with hail.

There is definetly signs that a little convection going on here at the moment. Rain rate has shot up to 10.1mm/ph from nothing in the last couple of minutes. :eek:

Edit, all quite again! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Western Mayo and Galway can expect several more waves of these blustery showers, one coming in now and another one visible on satellite imagery about six hours out (around 12-13 W now). Perhaps there will be more lightning with the activity tomorrow morning as freezing levels are getting lower with time.

Is that heading my way MT :D

Western Mayo and Galway can expect several more waves of these blustery showers, one coming in now and another one visible on satellite imagery about six hours out (around 12-13 W now). Perhaps there will be more lightning with the activity tomorrow morning as freezing levels are getting lower with time.

Thanks M.T. Hopefully something to look forward too. I think lightning is off the cards for me tonight (NE Co Galway) though as I usually associate lightning with wind at this time of year but all we have at the moment is just a 7mph mean wind speed which is backing a little to the SSW. Pressure is steady on 995.1mb

Grand total of 6.9mm today, much of which fell in some ferocious showers in the late morning. Very little rain actually fell from the main frontal zone that passed over last night which I was surprised at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

There is definetly signs that a little convection going on here at the moment. Rain rate has shot up to 10.1mm/ph from nothing in the last couple of minutes. :eek:

Edit, all quite again! :rolleyes:
    Exactly! While the radar looks promising actual shower activity has been limited to a few intense but short-lived bursts of rain with a little hail!

Hopefully as MT suggests there may be a little more excitement on offer weather wise later

Very active looking one just entering Galway Bay now hopefully there may be something in it.

Latest radar grab has those showers beefing up a little over the bay alright:

129568.jpg

Destination Tuam????? :cool:

Galway first you can have the left overs :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Latest radar grab has those showers beefing up a little over the bay alright:
    Destination Tuam????? :cool:
    Delighted to see that optimism is alive and well in Tuam tonight :D

• Advertisement

Lightning strike near Galway bay:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

was just about to go to bed, think i'll hang on a little longer, those showers will probably pass between me and D.E though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It is torrential here but no thunder for about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The GFS is showing CAPE up to 800J/kg and LI around -2°C along the west coast at the moment, diminishing slightly overnight.

2010100118.f006.500.capenoneliftnonenone.eur.gfs003.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Best thunder and lightening show all year at the moment here, Currently been going on for about 50 minutes with flashes every 2 or so minutes, seems to have moved NE towards Rosscommon now, but its still flashing away!

Severe storm complex on radar southwest of Limerick in a line currently west of about Shannon to Mallow including parts of west and north Co. Cork.

Will post a specific warning to alert boards readers not active on weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I REALLY HOPE PEOPLE GOT PICTURES OF THIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

I still havent seen a thing all year in cork! Lightning capital my asz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

IMC042 wrote: »
    I still havent seen a thing all year in cork! Lightning capital my asz!!

:D

• Advertisement

UPDATE _ 1:15 p.m.

The line of heavy showers and possible storms continues to move northeast and in the general direction of Tipperary and then Thurles in the next hour.

Although we have no reports on the forum, the worst of the storm so far has probably been around Newmarket, Mallow and rural areas around there towards the east and northeast.

The tail end of the line could graze Cork city soon, at the very least it should start to look rather ominous off to the northwest as this moves past, but Cork may eventually get some of this storm too.

Eventually Laois, north Waterford, Carlow and Kilkenny may be in line for some of this storm in 1-2 hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement