Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Autumn 2010

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 18Z shows the wrapped-around occlusion curving from Belmullet-Athlone-Cork, moving northeastwards at 20kts. For the west and south of the country, moderate rain and showers, with isolated embedded heavy rain and thunderstorms. For the north and east, light to moderate showers. Freezing level around 5,000ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

There must have been thunder and lighting near by Colooney today. Lights flickering occasionally this evening and noticed the street lights going on on a number of occasion. The air pressure felt very heavy (tend to get headaches and tired when weather like this), some rain accompanied the heavy clouds. Dark is not so much creeeping in as sprinting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Found this old newspaper clipping from the Tuam Hearld archive detailing the horrible consequence of a thunderstorm that struck Mayo on the 17th April 1871. I have to say I was amazed at the actual vivid description of the grim detail which I suppose was of the times:

135288.jpg

In normal text form as it is quite as the above clip is not the easiest to read:

AWFUL OCCURRENCE IN MAYO-THE DEAD SWEPT FROM A GRAVEYARD INTO THE SEA!!
    A correspondent of our worthy contemporary, the Mayo Telegraph, thus writes: - On Monday (17th inst..,) a shocking spectacle was presented in the ancient burial-ground of Glosh-Patrick, between Westport and Louisburgh. There was a thunderstorm, accompanied by hail and heavy rains, which lasted about two hours, during which some corpses, which had been buried for some time, were washed out there graves into the sea by the torrent of the mountain stream which runs beside the graveyard.
    Some of the bodies were carried out to sea, and only two were recovered and re-interred amid the wailing of the surviving relatives, whose feelings were severely harrowed by the sight of their dead exhumed in a manner so heartrending. They had been buried only a month or so.
    The bridge on the high road over the stream is also washed away. The neglected state of our country burial-grounds is disgraceful in a Christian land, and the attention of the various Boards of Guardians is now called for to guard, by proper measures against a recurrence of so revolting an accident as that just detailed. Even now there are many coffins visible, and those of the two bodies which were recovered from the sea were broken into pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

No one has posted here for a while, are we all sick of the weather? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

There was some nice bolts of Lightening and loud Thunder in Castlebar around 1730 this evening along with Hail and strong winds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The parents say they had thunder in west Donegal as well, havent heard anything here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I reckon this thread has run its course! I've started a new one for 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

nice bit of activity in the atlantic now. doubt i'll see any of here:(

forgot about the new thread... oops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

lolie wrote: »
    nice bit of activity in the atlantic now. doubt i'll see any of here:(

SURE IS ALOT! ... Wish i was up in Donegal for a chance to catch some of it! :(

image_b_eu.png?1294767746

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Only noticed the thread title is the old one...

Request for Thread to be locked to resolve any further confusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement